I harvested my first deer on Saturday

jrussell

At around 11am on Saturday I harvested my first ever deer. Since this was my first time hunting I wasn't sure if I'd really enjoy hunting or not, but this was one of the most significant moments in my life and I'm definitely going to continue to hunt. I felt sorrow for the loss of life but I also felt excitement from the thrill of the hunt and the meat I had just acquired. Eventhough this doe is just an average size, I'm really happy with it. 

Just thought I'd share my first time experience with you guys.

post-5341-0-36254200-1416282466_thumb.jp

• Like 22

Congrats. My first deer was a doe too.  Nice and tender.  I just need to get a NY deer.  No deer since I started hunting in NY - been having deer tag soup and turkey tag soup for a few years.

It is sad taking their life, don't look into their eyes - it doesn't help. 

I always mentally say I am sorry for taking them, but also thank them for providing meat for my family.

Edited by Two Track

Well done sir.  I've been hunting my entire life and have shot dozens of deer.  I feel sorrow to this day.  Its human nature.  I would be surprised if most people didn't.  However, like you said, as long as you take that life ethically and use it for substanence, there is a ton of joy that also comes with the harvest.  It makes you appreciate the circle of life!

We've talked this a few times but it is entirely natural to feel that way when taking a life of an amazing creature. Some guys will say you shouldn't feel that way, or that it goes away. I guess that's fine too but spending so much time watching these animals in the wild leads to a certain amount of respect and wounder.

To this day i still feel "something" when I harvest a deer. It starts with the legs shaking before the shot and the joy of recovery and the moment of respect between me and the deer. I hope it never goes away. If it does I'll hang it up.