Last nights bachelor party...

wooly

Great stuff wooly.  And I thought you said deer numbers are down in your area?  What were they like before?  lol

I used to see 30+ BUCKS per night in this field after the 4'th of July.

Every year it's been tapering off, and now I'm lucky to see 3 or 4 on a good day!

When I see more than 5 bucks, it's an amazing night now!

X-2 what grow said!  

Just when I think you have taken my favorite picture, you take one even better! So now they are ALL my favorite!! Outstanding work again from you wooly, just amazing!! 

Love the split brow buck!

• Like 1

how far and what lens were you using?  seems like you got in close to them well enough.  great pictures.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Danno- these were all shot between 10 and 60yds with my 55-300mm.

You can see in this series, the light was changing rapidly when that group appeared so I went through a variety of ISO settings and focal lengths in a short time. I'm finally getting better at that.

I forgot to mention there was another bachelor group of 5 bucks on the far side of the field roughly 1/2 mile away but they looked like runts compared to these guys.

Papist- this field has been a shed hunting grounds for me for almost 20yrs.

It's off limits to me now for ANY kind of hunting, but photographing from the edge is cool.

A lot has changed in this area over that time, but the last 5 or 6 years the drop off in deer numbers is easily seen here.

It's always been a "community gathering area" of sorts for the bucks come July, and a great place to inventory them as they'd cross from one woodlot to the next.

When I say there were 30+ bucks using the field nightly, I mean there were 30+ bucks out there all at once, so I know I wasn't counting any twice,lol

• Like 2

Bachelor party, Where's the doe? LOL.

He posted that pic in another thread........

:negative:

OK! I expected to see a bunch of drunk hunters in camo watching a hooker riding a recurve! Enough with the bad titles for the damn posts! C'mon dude! LOL

Great pics wooly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not really.

When I didn't find many antlers or dead bucks here this spring it told me they made it off the hill to more suitable wintering grounds before the snow piled up and temps plummeted. The does and fawns are what really took a hit to winterkill. I counted 50+ of those on my hikes.

The big buck in the pics is the one I have the last 3 years of left antlers from. He'll be 5.5 this fall.

For some reason no matter how bad the winters get, he sticks it out here and amazingly pulls through.

original.jpg

• Like 3