First Job ?

GreeneHunter

My first job was a paper route. I think I lost money on it since I had to pay per paper, they always stuck extra ones I didn't ask for and had to pay for, and nobody every seemed to want to pay up when it came collecting time. My first job I had to show up for was when I was 15 and I rode my bike to Dairy Queen. I earned $3.25 per hour...that would have been in 1988. My checks were always around $40.00. More money than most of my friends had at the time...

When I was 14 (2002) I started helping my uncle's construction company once or twice a week to lay blacktop for $5.00/hr during my summer vacation. I ended up working for him full time the next 3 summers doing more blacktop, grading driveways, remodeling apt houses, etc until I graduated high school. Each summer that I came back, I was given an extra $1/hour.

It was good hard work that helped me decide that I wanted to pursue a career in construction so I when I graduated HS, I went to college and received a bachelors degree in civil engineering. I'm now a project engineer/estimator for a construction company in the town I live in and working towards my professional engineering license as we speak.

Edited by Chris B
  • Like 1

Camp Counselor in summer of 2000. The pay $5.00/Hr. But $5.25 if you were in honor roll, or $5.50 of you were on high honor roll. I got $5.50/Hr. If I remember correctly it was like 30 hours a week so I made just over $150 per week. Gas was definitely under $2/gallon then so I had a lot of disposable income!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived out of town and didn't have access to traditional jobs so as a kid it was on a vegetable farm. It was piece work and If I recall correctly it was $1.00 per burlap bag for sweet corn and things like tomatoes and cukes were $0.50 a peck. I also worked a Dairy farm and tossed a lot of hay. The pay was as unimpressive doing that. 

I had retail sales jobs in college and I think the pay was under $4.00 and hour. First full time gig was as  Surveyor in construction and that was $10.15 and all the hours your could work swinging a 12# sledge hammer. That was living large at $10.15

3.35/hr  loading straw, watermelons, cantaloupes, and sugar babies during the summer for a farmer friend of the family - I was 13 at the time.

Also a percentage of the honey profits for build/painting bee boxes and processing the honey.from my dad's bee hives that we rented out.  It all went to my college fund.

Had to wait 4-5 years to see money from the Christmas trees we planted from seedlings - for college money also.

Drove little atv thing with hydraulic rakes in the back in sand traps for slouches who didn't rake their footprints ( golf course ). Also changed hole locations on greens. Man , I put some doozies out there when the greens were running fast My dad was superintendent of golf course I worked at for 43 years. While working there and playing golf there I knew every inch of grass there. Ended up club champion 7 of 10 years and then quit golf entirely. No idea what I got paid , long time ago At the time I'd go pick night crawlers off the tees at night. Good pick was 1000 at 5 cents per. They'd be so easy to grab all stretched out with the short grass and sprinklers on Sold to Dustys bait n tackle in Depew on Transit rd for those who remember of that place. Ha , I may have helped you indirectly catch fish ?!

• Like 5

I was 12 and started working at the farm down the road. Feeding the cows and shoveling crap after school and on Saturday, paid $25 a week. During summer bailing and putting in hay, paid $75 a week. Good money back in 69. Lessons learned on that farm, are still carried with me today.

• Like 2

13 or 14 picking strawberrys in Gorham don't remember the pay but paid for paintballs....15 I got first real job landscaping for a lady on Canandaigua lake doing all her yard work....was a sweet gig for 8 a hr....she fed me let me swim took me home in her Beemer....spent 2 or 3 summers working for her

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edit...also worked for my grandmother's bed and breakfast in cohocton from 8 until it burnt down....everything from cook carpenter landscaper....any other odd job you can think of

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 1

In the early 60s I worked at several different local farms for 50 cents an hour..

In the summer of '67 I worked for Steuben County clearing land for a county park for $1.50 an hour.

In '68 I got a job as a grocery clerk at the local A&P store for $1.80 per hour..

From 1971 to 1973 I worked for Uncle Sam...Can't remember what I made there..

In 1974 I went to work for Corning Glass Works as a lab assistant for $130 per week..

Retired from there in 2004..

• Like 1

Drove little atv thing with hydraulic rakes in the back in sand traps for slouches who didn't rake their footprints ( golf course ). Also changed hole locations on greens. Man , I put some doozies out there when the greens were running fast My dad was superintendent of golf course I worked at for 43 years. While working there and playing golf there I knew every inch of grass there. Ended up club champion 7 of 10 years and then quit golf entirely. No idea what I got paid , long time ago At the time I'd go pick night crawlers off the tees at night. Good pick was 1000 at 5 cents per. They'd be so easy to grab all stretched out with the short grass and sprinklers on Sold to Dustys bait n tackle in Depew on Transit rd for those who remember of that place. Ha , I may have helped you indirectly catch fish ?!

I love golf, so I love this. My grandfather was a member out that way at Lancaster Country Club I believe it was called. He could have bought the club for $10K but didn't have the $. Too bad!

If I remember correctly, he paid around $25 per year for membership back when barely anyone played golf.

He's 88 now and I play with him every weekend in the warm weather. He won't play from senior tees and still breaks 95. It's unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

13 years old washed dishes in a restaurant ( under the table ) made $ 25 for about 6 hours work. That had to be about double minimum wage in '72.

Oh and all the shrimp I could eat when no body was looking !

• Like 1

1973 South Buffalo railroad. Trackman. $4.00/hr. Thought I hit the jackpot.

My father worked 47 yrs. on the south buffalo r/r. retired in 1979-80 as a engineer.

TF, I worked in the gas station  across the street from Dusty's  bait & maybe used some of your worms!  Used to lmao watching the drunks fall out of Pressing's bar & walk into the road signs  next to Dusty

I wrote this once but didn't post it.  I cut grass for $2 a wk. I also baled hay & straw for the neighbors & worked on area farms but my father wouldn't let me take any money for it.   At 15 I got working papers & pumped gas all summer & after school. I also worked at a lumber yard unloading r/r cars of fiberglass insulation on 90* days, talk about sweat & itching!

Edited by hunter49