Mountain Men

Tughill Tamer

There was a time when I liked that show. Recently they've been choosing personalities that I don't necessarily like. Charlie was a moron, and that guy in New Mexico (Kyle I think) was equally inept. Don't get me started on Eustace and his sovereign citizen-esque "I don't understand why they're trying to steal my land" crusade. It's not stealing when you owe $40k in back taxes. On top of that, when I started watching closely I started noticing where things were obviously staged. There was an episode where Charlie's beaver were being taken by coyotes, so he set a urine post set. He came back the next day and the coyote was frozen solid in a very unnatural position. If you looked closely you could tell that it was staged.

All in all, I can't watch anymore. I liked--and still like--Tom, Marty, and to a lesser extent Rich, but the positives don't outweigh the negatives for me.

EDIT: If you're into this kind of subject matter, you should check out the documentary "Happy People: A year in the Taiga" on Netflix. Imagine a Russian version of Mountain Men without the fabricated production.

Edited by Wildcats160
  • Like 1

There was a time when I liked that show. Recently they've been choosing personalities that I don't necessarily like. Charlie was a moron, and that guy in New Mexico (Kyle I think) was equally inept. Don't get me started on Eustace and his sovereign citizen-esque "I don't understand why they're trying to steal my land" crusade. It's not stealing when you owe $40k in back taxes. On top of that, when I started watching closely I started noticing where things were obviously staged. There was an episode where Charlie's beaver were being taken by coyotes, so he set a urine post set. He came back the next day and the coyote was frozen solid in a very unnatural position. If you looked closely you could tell that it was staged.

All in all, I can't watch anymore. I liked--and still like--Tom, Marty, and to a lesser extent Rich, but the positives don't outweigh the negatives for me.

EDIT: If you're into this kind of subject matter, you should check out the documentary "Happy People: A year in the Taiga" on Netflix. Imagine a Russian version of Mountain Men without the fabricated production.

Thanks for the info wildcat I will deffinetly check it out

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Same here! I'll be watching ... I also like Yukon Men and The Last Alaskans !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they are also 2 of my favorites,can you imagine like on Last Alaskins living on a piece of land the size of South Carolina with only 7 other family's now that's living of the grid.

• Like 1

Some of these shows are neat and entertaining to watch.Yes they are made for TV but some of what and how they live thier lives as shown in these are the way of life back before we had all the modernized living.I find it funny that these TV family's have better equipment to get a job done then the real folks lifestyles.Who would not like to make a paycheck and having a great time in the wood's?

I've watched every episode since they started but I agree with Wildcat160. Out side of Tom and Marty I don't really care for the others. Also, just like "Life Below Zero", season after season of the same repetition, they're starting to run out of ideas for drama. I'm getting kind of tired of Marty's snowmobile breaking down, Rich's dogs running off and disappearing, and Marty flying in less than ideal conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like all these kinds of programs and try to catch them all. Yes, I understand that there I a strong likelihood that there is some contrived drama provided for interest. For example, more than once the trail that they drive their snowmobiles way out in the deserted wilds of Alaska sometimes looks like a snowmobile race had just taken place. And then there is always the broken down snowmobile and the long 10 mile walk back to the cabin in the dangerous cold...... Why not catch a ride with the cameraman .... lol. 

But the fact remains that these people all have a desire to be self reliant to one extent or another. And I admire people who want to live like that and then actually go out and do it.

• Like 2

It was great the first couple years it came out. Now its just getting worse and annoying. A couple of those guys are just idiots. But its television so who knows,, im sure half of its fake and played out for the television and its viewers.... I still watch the show, but it was much better the first few years, than it is now.. 

• Like 1

Love the show, Mountian Men, Yukon Men, and Alaska the Last Fronteir. Those are only 3 shows I DVR but it still seems to fill up with all those dumb medical shows and of course the wife likes to delete one of my 3 shows instead of her 20.

The ALTLF is getting a little old but neat to see how they do the homesteading thing. 

I agree those 3 annoyed the crap out of me dumber than a box of rocks, Eustace he is a little too hippy for me.

Yeah I like that one also I get a kick out of sue she is one tough woman

That she is. I dig her pet fox that follows her around. Thought it was odd she personally felt threatened by a wolverine hanging out around her place. Never heard of a wolverine being confrontational without perhaps being cornered.

• Like 1