Unfortunately, It's my turn to make this thread...

regulat0r

Ive seen these threads before and unfortunately its my time...I went to check one of my favorite stands on the property owed by my friend and where I am the only person with permission to hunt. I get to my tree and sure enough, my tree steps are there and my stand is GONE! To add insult to injury, the chain i used to lock on my stand was apparently cut and left dangling on the top tree step. It was a heavy duty chain and lock so they must have used some type of grinder. I told my friend who owns the property and he is just as baffled as me. Aside from the rage of having my stand stolen, now someone knows about my spot so i am reluctant to put another stand up. Anybody have any advise?

That's a bunch of stands Buckmaster7600!  That really sucks, portable climber is one option.  Like the trail camera idea but it is possible they will take them too and then your out a bunch of money.  Report it to the police and etch your info on all your stands so you have proof if they are ever found that they belong to you. 

Sounds like we need GPS locators in our tree stands!  It would help us keep track and if lost the police would have a easy time finding it and the criminal behind the vail.

Some of older guys can't use a climber .

I would put up one of the $60 ladder stands from DICKs along with one or two trail hidden cams . I would also lock the stand to see who comes in with bolt cutters to cut the lock  or chain . You would be possibly be losing $80 worth of stuff but might get the satisfaction of catching a thief and getting everything back . 

Maybe check Craigs List for tree stands for sale and see if anyone near you is selling any . You might find your missing stand . A guy I met a couple years ago said he did that , turned the seller in to the police and they found several other stolen stands in the guys garage . 

• Like 2

To add to Eddie's post......make  a mix of permanent  ink with a oil or Vaseline. Then apply to just the back side of rails. Remember to use the rungs only to climb. They grab rails and transfer the permanent ink to their hands. Push comes to shove..They leave ticked ,maybe with stand but May leave prints as well as pics.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Have you approached any of the neighboring landowners yet..?

Perhaps a NON-ACCUSING approach just to make them aware of the theft may turn up some trail cam pics they have, or encounters/problems with any strangers or locals on adjoining properties that could lead to finding out who dun it.

That would be my first step.

I am always amazed at people who chain and lock their stands and leave them out all year.. 

Best advice chain and lock them and take them down end of season.. 90% of all stands I hear about that are stolen are done well after season.  Most people out during season are toting a gun,not bolt cutters. 

Before any of you say something I have a friend who left his stand up on my private property I told him to take it down several times in Jan and February when I take mine down via snowmobile.. he was always to busy and I didn't have key for his stand. Needless to say may arrives and I tell him take down your stand he responds well I put it back up in the same tree every year and it will be fine.. so end of may comes last time turkey hunting and he goes by his stand and it's gone, steps and all except the bolt cut lock.. I felt bad but I told him people walk through hunting I can't patrol 24/7.

some one saw the stand and went back got cutters and stole it.. if it was taken down in winter it would not of been. Too much temptation aND some one will get it. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't risk another stand being stolen.  I would scatter a few well hidden cams in the area and see who shows up on them. Chances are good whoever you get pic's of in that area will be the scumbag that nipped your stand.

I enjoy using a portable hang on stand and this is the reason I use Lone Wolf stand. You just hand the strap with hook and no one will ever find them. Every strap is like having another stand. As far as steps go, my first 4 are detachable clip ons and then screw ins the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

Go get a cheap ladder stand from Walmart..... Dig a ditch 3ft by 4ft right at the base of the ladder..... Go to Home Depot.... Buy bamboo..... Sharpen 12 inch long spikes... Rub tips of spikes with garlic and rotten fish..... Place spikes facing up in ditch.... Get lots of thin sticks and cover ditch then spread a little dirt and some leaves over the sticks...... Have a seat about 100 yards away and wait for screams you will find your purp real quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is just me but I'm the sort who would put another stand back with trail cams (difficult to hide so unless has cellular picture sending it may get taken as well and cell ones are too pricey) or bury a GPS transponder in the seat such as this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Yepzon-One-Personal-GPS-Locator/dp/B013MB3CBW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1471546588&sr=8-6&keywords=gps+locator

Another idea is you could actually hang a note on your next stand telling the person that anybody approaching the stand has already been captured on two trail cams, so please don't do something stupid. Of course, these trail cams need not exist. That's your cheapest bet and I think would work quite well to be honest.

I have a climber but if I had a known spot on private land I would absolutely go back to fixed. Carting around 20 lbs and setting it up is far more annoying than carrying nothing and setting up nothing :)

Edited by Core

I have a stand at camp...someone tried to steal and gave up...I believe it to have been dumb or dumber,perhaps both. For they climbed the ladder removed the straps ,climbed down and yanked and yanked the stand to no avail. The stabilizer bar was nailed to the tree....wing nut rusted on the rung. It never occurred to them to simple turn the release adjustment knob on the bar and pull it apart.. I still laugh about that. Moved the stand way up the hill chained it to the tree...Then DIL found the guy hunting out of it.

I put all my climbing sticks and ladder stands together with security bolts and all metal lock nuts , i wrap the cable lock around the stand and top ladder rung really tight , it might be enough to make a wouldbe thief decide its to much work to carry a 20foot climbing stick out in one piece with a stand lashed to the end of it with a cable lock.

• Like 1

Discoverd this evening as I was retrieving my trail cam from my private 70 acre lot that I have permission to hunt that my nephews hang on that he left there since last season has been stolen. I have an idea it's the guy who leases the fields on the property for growing corn but I don't know how I will prove it.The stand sat back in the brushline about 10yards looking over one of the corn fields.This is the second stand that has been stolen in the 12 year span I have been hunting the property.I guess it's time to buy more trail cams and not only scout for deer but also scout for trespassers!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

You can get hang on stands that mount to a receiver that you hand in the tree. So all that's on tree is the receiver and not your stand. I believe Millennium makes one like that still. The receiver even has a little welded ring to hoist the stand. Also if you can get Sky Hooks for your first 3 or 4 steps up the tree. The steps and bolts are two piece and you can take the actual step with you and leave only the head of the bolt. These are some tricks of the trade from hunting Suffolk County that have served me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1