Say what you will about NYS...

growalot

Bucks I don't care every year we see pics of some mighty fine buck and big doe ....The cams may be seeing more than the recover pics show...but that just means they are getting older or hit by vehicles. All the comparison we see to other states is just ...foolish We should all be happy with what NYS has and proud that in most instances...we are seeing this due to volunteer restraint

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, growalot said:

Bucks I don't care every year we see pics of some mighty fine buck and big doe ....The cams may be seeing more than the recover pics show...but that just means they are getting older or hit by vehicles. All the comparison we see to other states is just ...foolish We should all be happy with what NYS has and proud that in most instances...we are seeing this due to volunteer restraint

I have always been of the ilk that we some great hunting and fishing in NYS. 

• Like 1

NY is an underperformer on so many levels that what we do produce is astounding.

That said, a 120" deer for many hunters in NY is a lifetime buck. I am not going to be happy with what NYS has when we know a lot of it is caused by hunter culture and legislative/governmental deficiencies.

I think it is wrong to be content with what we have if you believe that more is possible. Makes me feel like Papist - we're just lemmings in the scenario to leftist officials and there's not much to do but take it. Remain active, but just be aware that efforts might not go the way you want it.

• Like 2

Wife and I love living in upstate ny , hunting, fishing  , rolling countrysides , the change of seasons , etc . It's the ( insert dirty word) politicians that ruin this  state . And yes ny has some excellent potential for big bucks but in the same breath we don't need the d.e.c telling us what a person can and can't shoot . 

• Like 5

Voluntary restraint is the only answer to seeing & harvesting BBs, not DEC regulations (AR, doe-only, etc). The restraint philosophy has so many "speed bumps" it's almost impossible to implement. That is unless you have several hundred acres of land you own/lease and all the surrounding neighboring hunters follow the same principle. Sure everyone has seen more & more large acreage farms sold off into mini-farmettes. Difficult to micro-manage a 30 acre hunting parcel when some of the neighbors are the "brown is down" type of hunters. Throws your restraint principles out the window.

IMHO, micro-managing your hunting area(s) for sound deer mgmt principles is going to produce at least a better opportunity for BB sightings. Whether you go all in with QDM, harvest some does or just let the young bucks walk, it'll all help! Now if you can get your neighbors onboard, so much the better. God bless you if you're satisfied with shooting 2-3yo bucks or strictly a meat hunter, but don't complain about not seeing any mature BBs! To each his/her own, but it really should be about the hunting experience and not some measureable stat like inches, pounds, harvest #s, etc.

And my pet peeve - the phrase Trophy Hunting. Like to get its' useage banned! It has so many undesirable implications and negative influences on the hunter's mentality, all of which are bad! Don't know if you're still with us, but sorry Joe - The NYS BB club feeds into &/or off of this phenomenon. Sort of sets NY hunters up for disappointment. Okay, must admit I do drool some and am a little envious when I'm occasionally redirected to the website and view those brutes.

• Like 2

Not to hijack and send this somewhere else but I too love living in NY State.

Regarding deer and BB's. I'm not ashamed to say I am a horn hunter first.  Call it what you want but it is trophy buck hunting. I will and have passed on many smaller bucks over the past ten years and since I have purchased the property we have with nearly 100 acres I have practiced this even more. My 22 yo son and I have seen the quality of the bucks go up since the first year we got here by practicing "let em grow".  So we are horn hunters first and meat hunters second. We can always take a doe near the end of the season for meat but until nearly the last few days we are hunting horns.

• Like 1

I have seen most of the lower 48 and there is none where I would rather live than here in upstate NY.  The scenery we have in the Adirondacks and the Thousand island area is more impressive than anything else I have seen.  The freshwater fishing is spectacular.  As a meat-hunter, the abundant whitetails in Western NY, make keeping the family supplied with venison an easy task.  For the antler obsessed, there may be better opportunities in other states.  Consider a move there if you are not happy with what we have here.     

Edited by wolc123
spelling correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nybuckboy said:

Not to hijack and send this somewhere else but I too love living in NY State.

Regarding deer and BB's. I'm not ashamed to say I am a horn hunter first.  Call it what you want but it is trophy buck hunting. I will and have passed on many smaller bucks over the past ten years and since I have purchased the property we have with nearly 100 acres I have practiced this even more. My 22 yo son and I have seen the quality of the bucks go up since the first year we got here by practicing "let em grow".  So we are horn hunters first and meat hunters second. We can always take a doe near the end of the season for meat but until nearly the last few days we are hunting horns.

So True!  I think after a guy has taken 100's of deer and piles of bucks of all sizes hunting turns into more of the term hunting. Find a mature buck or two and go get them, accept nothing less and eat the tag if need be. To me if a buck does not make me gasp the second i lay eyes on him its just not a big deal. Still sit back and enjoy the show and enjoy the moment but to pull the trigger on a smaller buck just does not do it any longer. Meat is there about any time needed in places i hunt.

Now for a young hunter coming up thru the ranks needs to enjoy all the stages of hunting. They to will most likely turn into a trophy hunter some day. 

• Like 4

Never thought I would see a day when my plan for the season was get a doe for the freezer, then go after a nice buck ( to me, that's a good 6 or up ) for a few weeks, then back to just getting more meat in the freezer. This is also the first time I have ever had 4 tags though.

But, I love to hunt, and I do it for the meat. A nice buck would just be icing for me. I would rather someone hunt for the horns then shoot a small deer that still has traces of it's spots. 

• Like 2

TRIAL....I have not "hunted" any other states .That said I have been in nearly every state South And west of BuY and lived in a couple.I'm not talking airports. I  also have access to media.So I know of what you are getting at. Yes other States not all nor most have some crazy big game...also completely different topography and land usage.there agriculture,soil mineral content,and population dispersal, and deer #,s are different. Mast trees and weather is different.  Their DNR's are totally different. Even the death from disease in herds are different. All these things and hunters make a herd what it is

So I stick by it's foolish to want changes based on comparisons of bone inches in other states. NYSs biggest problem at the moment is the population attitude...NYer's have a reputation of wanting "It bigger ,better,and yesterday". Our hunters in many instances are the same. I personally find it foolish that many can't see the real change that's been happening and  be proud that we are doing this our selves and keep getting the word out it's working the best it can,getting better every year. I may not have hunted other states...but I can see the forest through the trees.

• Like 2

NY has a lot going for it. My main complaint is the politicians. :) Too left leaning thanks to NYC.

As for bucks hopefully one I can can own land and have the opportunity to pass on them! I was even looking for land yesterday. Not a ton of it for sale in western ny compared to a little more central; two hours east, past syracuse, and nice hunting land looks about $1k/acre, or maybe $500/acre.

Edited by Core

Core

Just a suggestion, if you are going to buy land, hold out for some that is close enough to home to hunt for an afternoon and holds good quantity of deer.  Even at $500/acre, you won't be happy if you spend 10s of thousands on a parcel that isn't good hunting and reasonably close to home - 2 hour drives back and forth for a one day hunt won't cut it.  Keep an eye for something in 8H (I think you live in 8H or 8F) and don't be in a rush.  Something will pop up.  IMO.\

While agree that we should do what we can to make our hunting areas what we want them to be, I am pretty happy with the lands, opportunities and diversity in NY.  I could do without the ridiculous taxes and bloated state government.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

people take it personal when forced management decisions are made by a state or requested by other people.  those requesting change feel forced into shooting anything legal.  there's so much knowledge available right now at your fingertips it's inevitable that more sound trigger pulling practices are going to be understood and practiced.  we have it great here and some can't understand how easily it could be better.  some are "plugged in" to the deer situation more than others.  it blows my mind that a few properties can cry the blues and accept subpar hunting experiences shooting anything legal.  yet down the road a few others embrace sound practices, are shooting 200+lb bucks with 150+" racks and having piles of youth hunters seeing incredible things while filling the freezers with good bucks and plump adult doe.

I was at local fair and had at least a dozen people tell me they'd love to pass certain bucks but they can't due to the neighbors.  said the bucks cross the border and then they hear it get shot.  so the next one that walks by gets taken regardless of what they'd prefer to do.  I ask them if they talk to their neighbor or go see what they took.  the answer .....no.  people have wanted to believe the situation is worse and haven't done anything to help it.  we're slowly seeing things turn around and it's awesome.  my daughter, any other kids we have, and hopefully grandkids some day will have hunting so good I couldn't dream it.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Why do people always blame the neighbors? 

Thats is a cop out, shoot what you want but realize those neighbors don't kill all of the deer like is imagined. If they did no one would ever get trail cam pics of good ones and no one would kill anything bigger than a spike. Hunt your hunt. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

So True!  I think after a guy has taken 100's of deer and piles of bucks of all sizes hunting turns into more of the term hunting. Find a mature buck or two and go get them, accept nothing less and eat the tag if need be. To me if a buck does not make me gasp the second i lay eyes on him its just not a big deal. Still sit back and enjoy the show and enjoy the moment but to pull the trigger on a smaller buck just does not do it any longer. Meat is there about any time needed in places i hunt.

Now for a young hunter coming up thru the ranks needs to enjoy all the stages of hunting. They to will most likely turn into a trophy hunter some day. 

we have youth hunters that take some deer to get experience under them and then it's like a switch flips.  just like in school I give them an idea, media explaining it, an example of how it worked in the real hunting world, and they soak it up like a sponge.  they're kids.  if they're told something that seems off, they aren't worried about hurting someone's feelings, and will just unknowingly call the person out until they seek an answer that makes sense to them.  they usually end up with some of the bigger sets of antlers on the wall too.

hopefully grandkids some day will have hunting so good I couldn't dream it.

I find that statement sad,no offense intended, I think any hunt where the hunters has seen deer and gotten excited and taken a deer THEY think to be great is the best hunting imaginable. Now I'm not going to apologize for this. But I really do not give a rats back side what the guy next door shoots..though I have passed bucks and yes found them dead on my land after the neighbor shot ,and thought it was a miss...that is deflating. But I Am not going to feel bad or give two hoots if the neighbor does the same and I kill his pass...I LOVE seeing big buck...I do not have to shoot one. I shoot what I feel at the moment ,for what ever reason, is to be MY best experience for the season. That is how it should be .

Now Granted I live in one of the best units for bucks  and deer in general..I mean 70 deer in one 18 acre bean field ...when I know for a fact there were dozens of deer  not seen in a 1/2 mile radius Not everyone can be in the better areas..Hell, someone sell me land where NYbowhunter lives...and he's not that far away! The point is make the best of what you have and that starts in your own head....

Edited by growalot

10 hours ago, ....rob said:

I would rather someone hunt for the horns then shoot a small deer that still has traces of it's spots.

Nothing wrong with killing fawns and yearlings IMO. It's probably more beneficial to the rest of the herd to take out the weakest link  that is most vulnerable to disease, predation, and starvation. A good number of those fawns and yearlings may not make it to see their second birthday anyhow, while the next older class bucks have already proven they know how to make it through a season or two.

Not really beneficial to take out a proven survivor, only to let the weaklings that will be the first to drop dead over browse a property before they die anyhow. That just takes away from the rest of the remaining healthy herd and makes it harder on them as they head into the most stressing winter months.

So even though I personally prefer to kill a nice buck of at least 2 1/2 year old or better at this point of my hunting, there was a time when I would kill the first deer I saw no matter how small it was. They don't make for the most jaw dropping field photos, but I've got an album full of them anyhow and have no issue with guys killing fawns and yearlings. It does more for the overall health of thedeer herd opposed to the guy who eats his tags year after year waiting on a mega-buck.

• Like 7

your choice on passing bucks in my opinion reflects where you hunt......private land pass up small bucks......state property is another issue......the state property I hunt is crazy on opening weekend......sounds like a war zone......no deer is safe.....hard to wait for a good buck when in reality it wont happen because nothing makes it past 2 1/2 years old......I did shoot a real nice buck there 2 years ago but he was a 2 1/2 year old deer......I have seen some flocks come out of there but don't believe that has been that deers home, to where I believe those deer were pushed in 

• Like 1

Here is my take. Notice that I live in Florida now. However, I have hunted in FL, GA, TX, KY, PA, MD and SC. I still make the 20 hour drive up to NY every fall to hunt. Why, because it's my "home". I was born and raised in Steuben County. I love to hunt there, and have done so since the 60's. Likely, I'll continue as long as I'm able. I've killed many deer (some fairly big and some dinks too). It doesn't really matter. It's a way of life... my life. I introduced my wife to hunting in the 80's. She loves it too, and always comes north with me. That's the way it is... and ought to be. Nuff said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Core

Just a suggestion, if you are going to buy land, hold out for some that is close enough to home to hunt for an afternoon and holds good quantity of deer.  Even at $500/acre, you won't be happy if you spend 10s of thousands on a parcel that isn't good hunting and reasonably close to home - 2 hour drives back and forth for a one day hunt won't cut it.  Keep an eye for something in 8H (I think you live in 8H or 8F) and don't be in a rush.  Something will pop up.  IMO.\

While agree that we should do what we can to make our hunting areas what we want them to be, I am pretty happy with the lands, opportunities and diversity in NY.  I could do without the ridiculous taxes and bloated state government.

Good points! I can get to nice public land in 40-50 minutes depending on where I go, so two hour drive to potentially worse wouldn't work; if I buy land far away it would only be if I also build a decent cottage--something that my wife can tolerate (she said it would have to have running water and power) and probably rent out as well to help cover the costs; somewhere we'd go on the weekends. Just not entirely sure how much we'd use it currently. My ideal would be to own a house in our current school system with 20+ acres, but those don't come cheap. And honestly, I suspect the thrill of hunting would be greatly diminished if I walk off my porch on opening day to a tree stand knowing 99% chance a deer will walk underneath between 7:30 and 8:00 am, then that's my season over. Also, though I'd love to "own" land, leasing is certainly cheap, no major commitment, and from a cost perspective makes a lot of sense, though there seems to be very little of that in my neck of the woods (8f).

But it's just a dream now. Still paying a full mortgage payment equivalent on one kid's day care and my wife decided to go back to school, so that's another thousands/year in tuition. :heat:

• Like 1