LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

1 hour ago, Core said:

I can confirm year old trail mix is edible! Also it is cold out here. Fall has certainly begun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I double dog dare you to eat the half of random egg salad sandwich I find between end of ML season and spring turkey stuffed in my backpack . I never thought it could turn plaid with green polka dots 

• Like 2

Wow,what an afternoon I had. I climbed in the tree around eleven along a field edge with a bunch of oaks in the woods. Sat for a few hours,then saw some deer perpendicular to me about 100 yds away. After a really long time they worked their way over to me. Looked like an old doe and two giant fawns or maybe even last years. I knew I was going to wait for the big doe.

Now the two young ones are right under my tree,but i have a bunch of branches between us,good cover. The old doe comes in and I can not get an ethical shot on her. First she quarters to,then branches in my way,then she is right under me as well,bad angle. She walks to the other side of tree,by now I must have drawn 3 times on her. Then she walks back looking around. Finally she is broadside at 12  yds,but a little tree is in the way. I am about to loose it,then a flock of turkeys comes right under my tree while the deer is right there as well. So eventually she walks of into some thick stuff without ever having given me a decent shot. Unreal,but very exciting. That is what bowhunting is all about.

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 12

So I go to do a bit of reconnaissance at the bottom end of the property. My hunting buddy has his stand down there, so I leave it alone mostly, but there are two mighty oak trees along the end property line. I usually don't hunt near 'em because it is too close to the neighbors. As I am heading down to sit and observe this area for a while, I hear crunching off to my left. The neighbor has set himself up with a natural blind about 5 yards from my line. He is clearly hunting my side, as there is nothing on his side except a thick growth of young maple and Tulip trees. He cannot be hunting into his side at all. It is impenetrable for arrows. What to do about this azz-hat? He slunk off like big foot into his own property once he realized I wasn't a deer. Didn't say a word. Wasn't wearing any tags either. I plan to post the crap out of this spot in front of his blind tomorrow. Looks to be a day of trespasser reduction activity. Might pop a stand up there too, but he would probably use it! 

And I saw a decent looking buck near this area too as I was going down.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

Went to check some cams after work today and some scumbag walked off with two of my cams. My land is posted heavily. Im just amazed at the society we live in. Nobody wants to work and they think everything is free. What do I have to do put cams on my cams? 

5 minutes ago, Cory said:

Went to check some cams after work today and some scumbag walked off with two of my cams. My land is posted heavily. Im just amazed at the society we live in. Nobody wants to work and they think everything is free. What do I have to do put cams on my cams? 

Disgusting. Cam lock up boxes I guess...

Are you serious?? That is garbage I'm sorry to hear it

8 minutes ago, Cory said:

I had 3 stolen off my property this year. Few wks ago! Scumbags! They really need a way to track these with a gps. 

• Like 1

My buddy shows up, and wants to send a few arrows down the lane before heading in to the woods. First he shears a fletch. Down to two arrows. Sends a couple more down, and the peep sight pops out from the string. We pack it up and head to F&S, where The fella fixes us right up.

We're an hour behind my plan, but we're still dedicated. He sends an arrow down to sight in the peep. Shot sails over the target and the arrow snaps in two. He loses the front end, and the practice broad head. He sights in with his only arrow.

On the way in, 15 yards from where I plan to set us up, I find two large piles of deer scat, practically steaming, they were so fresh. We missed that one. We set up and settle in 10 feet inside the marsh.

40 minutes later a doe and two fawns walk the in the direction I had planned for, but on the farther trail, 60 yards out. No shot. I bleat her, and she tracks to us, but gets into the young pines, and decides the bleat isn't interesting enough. She and her fawns move along through the thick stuff, about 30 yards out.

I give her a minute and rattle quick. Two minutes later we here and see a deer jump out of the marsh 40 yards to our left, and head out. Something spooked it, and I think it was on its way to us to check out all the racket.

A minute after that, my buddy looks at me and says, "someone's coming down the trail with a dog," a huge white Great Pyrenees that stops along the trail and catches our scent. It took him a good minute (I can't believe the owner let the dog sniff that long!), and looks up to spot my buddy. We're busted with 30 mins of light left... We gave the dog owner one hell of a scare (there's a foot trail at my property line), but she laughed it off, and so did we.

Looks like we'll have to pick another day to hunt...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Went to check some cams after work today and some scumbag walked off with two of my cams. My land is posted heavily. Im just amazed at the society we live in. Nobody wants to work and they think everything is free. What do I have to do pyut cams on my cams? 

Sorry to hear about that Cory, talk about your dirtbags

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Busted  twice last night. Not feeling well stayed close to home.Wind gave me one option,the Apple tree stand across from where I sat in the morning. My harness was bothering my legs to the point I had to stand. later I decide to slowly slide down to sit...I hear a faint snort stomp snort behind me. I then catch movement way across the road at the giant red oak..deer getting ready to cross.Figures I'm in wrong stand. But they have time to come in and feed to the favorite Apple tree. Watch a car crest the hill and stop   ...back up and beep at the deer. WTH! I figure they'll cross but farther down. Day done I get down and step out into the open...snort snort snort from the wood line under the stand I'd sat in, in the morning...lol

No hunting today still queasy but now a head ache just short of a migraine.

Edited by growalot

Well I should be in my tree now.....but my relief decided he wasn't gonna make it in at 5am.... So I guess I'm not hunting this morning unfortunately. I'm pretty ticked off about it though. Gonna have to give this guy a ear full whenever he rolls his lazy ass in here

Back at it. Wind was going to force me to sit against a tree this morning as of last night. Well the alarm went off and as I was gonna go back to bed and give up the am hunt, I checked the weather and the wind is favorable for all day in the stand. Feeling good

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I go to do a bit of reconnaissance at the bottom end of the property. My hunting buddy has his stand down there, so I leave it alone mostly, but there are two mighty oak trees along the end property line. I usually don't hunt near 'em because it is too close to the neighbors. As I am heading down to sit and observe this area for a while, I hear crunching off to my left. The neighbor has set himself up with a natural blind about 5 yards from my line. He is clearly hunting my side, as there is nothing on his side except a thick growth of young maple and Tulip trees. He cannot be hunting into his side at all. It is impenetrable for arrows. What to do about this azz-hat? He slunk off like big foot into his own property once he realized I wasn't a deer. Didn't say a word. Wasn't wearing any tags either. I plan to post the crap out of this spot in front of his blind tomorrow. Looks to be a day of trespasser reduction activity. Might pop a stand up there too, but he would probably use it! 
And I saw a decent looking buck near this area too as I was going down.

Build a ply wood wall on your side that blocks all his shooting lanes

12 hours ago, Cory said:

That's sucks that is why I  really try to hide them I put brush leaves and stuff all around them just leave enough for the lens 

56 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Live from my office, what a beautiful morning to be in a stand, I bet!  Sorry to hear it Cory, integrity is fast becoming a rare commodity. 

Got to say, the ratio between good people and scumbags is shrinking. And this sense of entitlement some people are displaying, has me just shaking my head.