Pockets or Pack

Borngeechee

I use a soft, quiet, camo backpack all the time.  It has everything I need stored in it so I can just add some snacks and water and go, knowing I have everything I need.  I never even notice I'm wearing it either.  It's not heavy and a good one carries the load with a waist band so you don't have shoulder stress.  It comes off quick and gets hung on something when I'm in a stand or taking a seat for awhile.  I often have more than I need for the hunt I'm on, but I would rather have something I don't need, than need something and not have it.  Even loaded for an all day in the field deer hunt, it doesn't weigh me down as some might think it would.  I've worn it all day and never felt I should not have used it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rattler said:

I use a soft, quiet, camo backpack all the time.  It has everything I need stored in it so I can just add some snacks and water and go, knowing I have everything I need.  I never even notice I'm wearing it either.  It's not heavy and a good one carries the load with a waist band so you don't have shoulder stress.  It comes off quick and gets hung on something when I'm in a stand or taking a seat for awhile.  I often have more than I need for the hunt I'm on, but I would rather have something I don't need, than need something and not have it.  Even loaded for an all day in the field deer hunt, it doesn't weigh me down as some might think it would.  I've worn it all day and never felt I should not have used it.

I'm with Rattler on this. Rather to have it than not . In ladder stand I'll hang backpack off a climbing peg, can easily grab what I need from it there. In ground blind it sits to my side for easy access. I hunt all day so pack is full of extra clothing, snacks, water, thermos etc. Walking I don't even notice it's on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'm with Rattler on this. Rather to have it than not . In ladder stand I'll hang backpack off a climbing peg, can easily grab what I need from it there. In ground blind it sits to my side for easy access. I hunt all day so pack is full of extra clothing, snacks, water, thermos etc. Walking I don't even notice it's on.

Same here. Most if not all of my stands have a hook for my backpack and I don't really care to have grunt tube, spare release, zip ties, pen, scents, range finder, binos, wind checker, snacks, water, knife and so on in my pockets or hanging off me. I like carrying an extra layer as well

• Like 1

I use a pack as well. 95% of my deer hunting is from a tree stand, and I tend to stay put. It's a lot easier with some stuff- extra clothes, water, coffee, etc.

its a far cry from my first years hunting, when I would walk out the door and hunt the hill behind my parents house. A box of slugs in a jacket pocket, a knife on my belt, and a drag rope in the game pouch of my jacket!

Will

We should hunt together . There's no sense in you carrying an empty back pack. I'll let you carry mine 

Lol I think that's why a carry a empty one...my dad always complains about his ever sence I was a kid...finally realized I only need basic stuff (unless in adks then it's full)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's a heavy pack for me too.

Thermos, lunch, rattlin antlers, headlamp/flashlight, calls, camera, tripod, knife, scents, rope, tags, bow or gun, e-cigg juice, jacket, hat and gloves, extra e-cigg battery,, safety harness(when out of tree), surveyors tape, more e-cigg juice.... and I'm sure I'm forgetting a pack load of items.

Everything is in or strapped to my pack walking in before sunrise, coming out after dark, or after a kill while dragging out.

Often times I'll decide to move a stand or blind mid day and that gets tied to the pack and added to the load. I could never pull that off in one trip without my pack.

When I hunt with my sister, I'll throw whatever she brings for the day in there as well on top of my stuff. It takes away some of the physical demands she is not used to while hiking the hills with all the extra weight hanging off her. I'd rather see her enjoy the hunt without putting too much demand on her that might turn her off to hunting and some of the work involved.

I'd be lost in the woods any time of year without my pack for sure.

Winter shed hunting, spring turkey, summer scouting/field sits have all prepared me to lug all this crap around without it bothering me much any more.

I LOVE my backpack.., and everything that fits in it or on it!

• Like 2

I use a backpack most of the time since I stand hunt most of the time. I like some others don't need my pockets all jammed with stuff. Plus I strap to it layers walking in to stand, drink, connect strap, snacks, binocs, scents, folding saw, drag strap, rattling equip...........

I am a big Badlands fan. They are expensive but a 100% lifetime guarantee does it for me.

Since I have become almost exclusively a Tree stand hunter I always carry a back pack. I get out to my treestand and I feel like I unpack like I went on vacation. I also strap my Bow to my Backpack, makes for an easy walk in. When I was younger and had no patience. I was a still hunt and find a place to sit for 30 min and then move again guy. Then I traveled light and only brought what would fit in my pockets.

Hybrid approach;

I use an old fly fishing vest with lots of pockets, and fill those with my stuff. It's nice as it's an extra layer of warmth, but it's also flexible. It doesn't matter what I'm wearing, the vest goes over it, and I've got all my stuff.

I  still use a pack if I'm bringing a thermos, camera, or other bulky items.