All this arguing over range

stoneam2006

Ok so with all this commotion on how far or how ethical or how confident one is with a bow let's here it from us.

What is your max range on a deer standing broadside or quartering away just a touch Un alert or maybe even bedded down with no wind. I'm talking absolute perfect opportunity.

What is your practice for being confident at a certain range? How many out of how many on target bc we are not perfect.

I'll start.

Absolute perfect opportunity I'd touch one off at 60 yards again absolute perfect conditions

My acceptable practice is 8 out of 10 in the 8 ring (approx 5 in from bull all around) that's more than confident for me.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A BASH OR ARGUE THREAD if you don't like someone's answer it's bc you cant do it. End of story.

Hope to hear some replys

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back to the point

Personally me I don't like shooting past 30 and wont shoot past 30 on a deer. I know my limitations and don't push them. I shot with a guy about a month ago and man that guy can hit that x out to 50 yards every time and do darn well out to 70. If he says hes willing to shoot out to 50 on a deer I feel bad for any deer with in 50 yards of him. 

• Like 1

Sorry stone.

My max is 30yds. I really prefer 25 or less, but deer come in at odd angles and ranges all the time. You need to know your ability. I am not a fan of guess work when trying to shoot at game be it with a bow or a gun. 

Absolutly....angles and actual range are huge when using a bow especially.

• Like 2

I have sight pins set for 80yards for my archery range. That's an old hold-over from my NFAA field archery days where there is an 80 yard walk-up target. But when hunting season comes around, I have another complete sight bar that slides into a dovetail mount and has pins that only go out to 30 yards, and I have yet to use the 30 yard pin in a hunting situation, and I hope I never have to. Considering deer movement, and potential unseen obstacles, and wind conditions, etc., and the fact that sometimes I get little unexplained form hick-ups, I have always limited my shots to 25 yards. That pretty much gets the job done.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

30 yards max.........there have been just as many deer wounded and lost at 10 yards as there have at 40-50 yards................

Is that a scientifically proven, authentic, credible stat or are you engaging in a bit of creative imagination......Lol.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is that a scientifically proven, authentic, credible stat or are you engaging in a bit of creative imagination......Lol.

that's my personally gathered information from being a member of Deer Search for a few years and more then likely tracking a larger number of wounded deer then the average hunter....not a huge data base, but enough to feel confident making that statement.

• Like 2

I would be confident out to 30. I regularly practice to 50. At 30 I "never" miss getting within vitals of the target and typically by a comfortable margin. Generally I can get within a vital size margin at 50 yards but not "all the time", so 50 is out totally. 

You should add a poll! I had taken a whitetail at 50 with it looking in my direction over its back. Depending on the situation I wouldn't think twice about shooting one out to 50 again. I shoot 60 on a regular basis and have 1" groups once in a while a flyer after I have shot a few arrows. I also try to shoot 4 arrows in a 1" group.  I enjoy shooting and feel I'm pretty good long as I know my distances. Without a range finder I limit myself to 30 yards becuase my guesstimating gets pretty bad past that.

• Like 1

I am pretty confident in my ability of hitting a target at 40yds. I would have to think long and hard before releasing an arrow on a deer at that range though. To me, to much can go wrong. I don't hunt a field. I wouldn't hesitate on a clear shot 30yds and closer. But beyond that...I would have to feel really good about the situation. Luckily I haven't had to make that decision yet. Of the three deer I have gotten with the bow, two were closer than 20 and one was at 22 yds.

20 hours ago, growalot said:

Yes......years and years of specific type of practice....and learning to read body language....which is right up there with having to practice....watch deer long enough and you know what they are about to do...You need to watch everything,how they rotate their ears, eye gaze as they lower their heads to feed..tail position, how they scent check the air,moved into the area and stance.   They talk volumes if you watch them and listen to your surroundings.

not to derail the thread but I love that.  they'll lower their head to fool whatever into moving.  you notice their in grazing position but aren't actually feeding.  from a biology perspective, their eyeball plane of focus shifts when they lower their heads so they can actually see just as well still.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

that's my personally gathered information from being a member of Deer Search for a few years and more then likely tracking a larger number of wounded deer then the average hunter....not a huge data base, but enough to feel confident making that statement.

I agree with your statement.  I'd imagine you had a lot of "chip shots" under the stand at 10 yards or less that just hit one lung.  also a lot of people probably have no idea where their bows shoot at 5 yards.