Rut Vacations - What Say You?

phade

5-12 will definitely be in my wheelhouse.

Trying to decide on a 3/4 or 14/15 as well. The first few days of Nov. can be slow in my experience unless you catch that first doe - and then it's better than any day on the calendar, lol. Plus quite frankly, you will get some warm days in there and I am just not a fan of sitting all day in 60 degrees...makes me want to fall asleep! Although that doesn't stop the deer movement if there is some to be had.

The week of the 14 seems a little slower overall but the past couple seasons we've seen the biggest bucks on their feet reliably in daylight hitting scrapes clearly in search of a "late" (relatively speaking) doe. DEC says Nov 15 is peak breeding date which is pretty close to our area, although I'd guess around the 12th for us. Bucks are devoid in one area by the 20th even if not gun season in play. Does clearly bred as fawns return to the does by then too.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

October 30th. Work three days. November 4th through the 14th. Work four days. November 19th through the 27th for firearms opener. Plus all weekends from opening of bow, to the end of ML season in December. Also have a couple "floater" days I can use where ever, to track or set up on "FRESH" sign or sightings.

Lots of theories on when and how the rut is impacted. Moon vs. calendar is an interesting subject.

Can't say I personally believe in the moon being a primary factor. There might be some secondary impact, but not enough to be a game changer IMO. The calendar has almost always been the best predictor of the rut for me. As to the temp issue, while I agree that deer will lay low at times, if the doe is in estrous and ready to go, the buck will be on his feet and following her or corralling her regardless of how hot it is, period.

The single largest buck I've ever seen in the stand, that measured out at 176" after being shot, was seen on the warmest day of the 2013 bow season at the warmest temp of that day bumping a doe. I shot my buck nose to tail on a hot doe last year on November 6th - 72 degrees. While these are just observations, I've come to grips that expecting not to encounter a deer or a buck you want to go after because of warm temps during the seeking/chasing phase of the rut is simply an excuse not to hunt. It's the # 2 biggest mistake I and my hunting partners have made, behind only leaving our stands too early in the a.m.

• Like 3

I've seen bucks with their tongues out, chasing does with their tongues out in 70+ degree  days. But it seems that on hot days, most of the movement is just at dusk and dawn or in the night when it is coldest. 

When there is a hot doe moving, whether she gets spooked out of her bed, or driven out by pestering bucks, the bucks will be after her. But when she beds down, usually where a dominant buck has control, she won't move and neither will he as he won't leave her. And there will usually be a few satellite bucks milling around, not ready to challenge the big boy, but they just can't seem to stay away. When the rut is on and we wonder where the bucks are, they usually are bunched up around a hot doe or two. 

Get compensation from the Federal Govt, actually the SSA. Every day is a vacation day!!! Sorry to those of you that are working and making contributions to my monthly SS check. Just kidding!

I'm a big fan of the "seeking phase" of the rut, when the bucks are walking around looking for does & not frantically chasing them. During this time frame I've seen bucks hitting the food plots/agr fields looking for does. Sometimes you can catch them at dawn or dusk heading to /from those areas checking out the girls. Day time sightings aren't uncommon either! If I had to put an arbitrary time frame on this, it be the 1st week of Nov (+/-~3 days).

Also see this later when a lot of the does are in estrous and bucks might be cruzing around looking for the next hot doe. By then the bucks are in full breeding mode and are on their feet day and night.

Here is a couple photos I took of a nice 10 pt. shagging a hot doe with a couple satellite bucks around. He kept them at bay, and moved off. I hoped they would come by my stand, but instead four does ran by and I killed the biggest with a high chest shot that spined her. Sorry, the photos are a bit grainy, but I took them at the edge of the woods, then got back up in my stand. When the rut is on like that, doesn't get much better.

WBT 1 doe, three bucks 11:6:14 .JPG

WBT dominant buck doe 11:6:14 .JPG

• Like 1

I'm penciled in for the week of Halloween and first week of Nov.  Then the first week of gun.  I may sneak out a few days during the second week of Nov too.  Who am I kidding?  I want to be in the wood every single day of November. The desire to deer hunt kind of explodes and that's all I can think of in Nov.  The leaves begin to drop and you just get those days where you feel it, and know you can't go wrong being out there!

Edited by genesee_mohican
more to say