Thanks for your time, now get out

Big Indian

So after 28 years with cablevision ( Long Island), my wife received a request to " retire voluntarily" . Hundreds of others did too, thanks to the new owners who hail from France and no longer view loyalty and longevity a quality they want in their employees. They want young people whom they don't have to pay the top dollar to ( not that my wife was doing 6 figures, but still made decent $) The biggest bonus was the medical/dental/vision which was top notch and very inexpensive. 

On a positive note she's being given 3 weeks for every year of service which adds up to 84 weeks, and it will give her time to find a new job, but at the age of 50 it won't be that easy. If your age and years to the company> 70 you have a choice to take it or not to but if u don't they can't guarantee you'll keep you job, so, in other words take it....

I now have to get insurance thru my company which is +/- 150 employees and will cost me a good chunk of my check, but have no choice. 

She will work thru the end of Feb, but F -you to the new owners for putting a damper on the Christmas spirit and doing this to all the faithful employees who worked there for the better part of their lives.

In any case, I hope everyone here has a merry Christmas, happy healthy new year, happy Hanukkah or whatever you celebrate with family and loved ones be safe and enjoy

I hope 2017 continues to bring everyone outdoors to continue to hunt fish and enjoy themselves

That really sucks all big company's are doing the same ****. She is getting a nice package so try to enjoy bro. Don't let it ruin your holidays these things always work out in the end

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
inappropriate language, plese see the forum TOS
  • Like 1

The company that I worked for was closing it's doors this year. I was lucky because I was already at the end of my career with 30 years. So I took the buyout and retired back in January of this year!!! I ended up loosing dental and eye care, have to pay out of pocket for that now.

• Like 1

Sad, but it seems that is how business is done these days. Happened to my wife a few years ago too at Blue Shield of Northeastern NY. But she did find another job that she likes better and pays more. So it did work out well for us. I'm hoping the same for your wife as well. Hang in there and enjoy the holidays. For good people, karma has a way of smoothing the bumps of life.

• Like 1

It's sad business's no longer have any loyalty to their employees which is starting to trickle down to the employees no longer having any loyalty to their employers. I'm 35 and I know a lot of people my age and younger that move from job to job every 3-5 years as that seems to be the only way the can improve their pay and position. 

A couple of years ago my mom was laid off on the 23rd of December, talk about a holiday killer!  

• Like 2

We are going through a similar thing right now. My wifes job will be ending here in a week after 25+ years due to the Time Warner Charter deal. She as well got a package of over a year of severance. The part that stings is the loss of really good family insurance, and pretty much free cable, phone, internet and security system for ages.That was a nice perk lol. My company has good insurance but it will cost me a lot more as my company is a pretty small.

• Like 1

Chin Up Mrs. Big Indian - things will work out for the better for you.

I had this happen to me about 8 years ago. I worked for a company for 12 years and 3 days after Christmas they decided to cut 2% off their bottom line which included all middle management. I had just bought a new  used car on the 23rd and on the 28th was let go. I'm on my second job since then but things work out for the better. Received 1 weeks pay for every year there and unemployment as well so I doubled dipped for a few months. Rabbit season was stellar that year thankfully. Good Luck on your new adventure.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry to much about the fact that she is 50. When I do my hiring I take the older employee that has grown up with a work ethic over anybody younger. I am 100% positive many other people feel the same way. Sucks that large companies do this now....Good luck...she will find something...

• Like 2

That is a poke in the eye for sure...I hope she finds a better job after the holidays or finds something she wants to do. What is even more distressing is...A French company bought....We have not only pushed our US companies abroad...but now we have other countries companies buying up more and more of our in home real estate and companies....How much of the US that we are paying taxes for and training troops in ...do we REALLY own anymore...I mean lets be honest those troops that we train...are usually defending some other countries population and for what? Corporations?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I wouldn't worry to much about the fact that she is 50. When I do my hiring I take the older employee that has grown up with a work ethic over anybody younger. I am 100% positive many other people feel the same way. Sucks that large companies do this now....Good luck...she will find something...

Believe me, that is NOT how most employers are thinking these days.  If you are 50 plus you are pretty much old news to them, an old dog that can't be taught new tricks, and that is NOT what they want.  They want someone younger who they can take advantage of like they couldn't with an older, more wiser individual.  If you are 50 or older you will be pretty lucky if you find another job that is equal to the good one you lost.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fletch said:

We are going through a similar thing right now. My wifes job will be ending here in a week after 25+ years due to the Time Warner Charter deal. She as well got a package of over a year of severance. The part that stings is the loss of really good family insurance, and pretty much free cable, phone, internet and security system for ages.That was a nice perk lol. My company has good insurance but it will cost me a lot more as my company is a pretty small.

I hear ya Fletch fortunately the free cable still applies but the insurance is the killer

16 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Believe me, that is NOT how most employers are thinking these days.  If you are 50 plus you are pretty much old news to them, an old dog that can't be taught new tricks, and that is NOT what they want.  They want someone younger who they can take advantage of like they couldn't with an older, more wiser individual.  If you are 50 or older you will be pretty lucky if you find another job that is equal to the good one you lost.

Yeah, it is a universally accepted, industry adopted, country-wide, version of age discrimination.  Experience is now viewed as engrained obsolescence instead of a foundation for forward progress. Basically it amounts to an accumulation of periodic raises that gets you to be a very expensive commodity that tends to become mired in old tried and true technology. I'm sure their decisions to frequently turn over their employee base is founded on many great studies, and frankly I'm not sure their conclusions are completely wrong. If they can get eager, hungry, youngsters to do the same job a hell of a lot cheaper, the bottom line probably always turns out looking better. Being stripped of the blinders of experience does tend to force new processes and thinking.

The idea is to develop a work force that is highly competitive and more pliant and frankly more scared for their jobs and absolutely frantic to appear busier and more productive. They want a work force that is fluid and mobile and cheap.

Corporate loyalty? ...... Doesn't exist anymore. Not for the company or the individual. There is no such thing as joining a company at a young age, and retiring after a bunch of years from that same company. That all breeds complacency and entrenchment. It is a harsh reality for this transition generation of older folks. Slowly but surely all the older folks with the older expectations are being weeded out and passing on. Soon companies will be staffed with younger people who expect to be replaced frequently and maybe even like it that way.

• Like 1

The fact they gave a severance package is showing loyalty. They could have just shown the door.

This practice happens in large companies pretty often and usually not done in "rounds" so as to avoid press/public scrutiny. Even good, successful, well to do companies do this as a regular practice. Older EEs have higher wages, higher EE costs (healthcare), longer accrued vacation (less productivity). It is not something I condone, but I also understand the financials behind it.

• Like 1

Best of luck to you and your wife moving forward .

My wife had 30 years in at a family owned company , when they sold it to a large Corp. who closed the factory ( she was in the office ) and moved it to Mexico . She got 16 weeks pay .

Fortunately we're savers and investors plus I've got a good  Gov job .

Dispite me giving her a sombrero and Spanish dictionary , see elected to stay here and retired, so it did not hit us hard. On the good side many of her co workers have found new jobs, a couple companies snapped up, many of the workers .In fact one offered her a job and she wasn't even looking .

Best of luck .

Edited by Larry302

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

You are correct...I did not mean to make it sound like it is easy. It isn't. Most people can't leave a job they have been in for 20+ years and make the same money.  I just don't believe people hold ill will to an older person. I certainly don't...

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

It's sad business's no longer have any loyalty to their employees which is starting to trickle down to the employees no longer having any loyalty to their employers. I'm 35 and I know a lot of people my age and younger that move from job to job every 3-5 years as that seems to be the only way the can improve their pay and position. 

A couple of years ago my mom was laid off on the 23rd of December, talk about a holiday killer!  

Similar age and it really is the only way to predictably increase salary. I've been where I am for a long time because although they only average 1.5% and I'm a little behind the curve now pay wise the rest of the job is pretty darn chill and I'm hesitant to become another cog elsewhere, so I've stayed here for a loooong time.

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

. I'm 35 and I know a lot of people my age and younger that move from job to job every 3-5 years as that seems to be the only way the can improve their pay and position. 

I know engineers that were told the same thing in college..."You are worth more to those that don't have you" Switch employers ever few years to push their wages up. They were the first ones that were let go after 2008 becasue their wage exceeded their experience. a "warm body" was no longer needed. I review resumes as a big part of what I do. Showing no commitment to long term employment is a circular file and not into a first interview.  the "kids" now a days want a promotion and title and to then be trained for the new position. When I came up, you spent extra time, learned more than was required for your position and proved you had the capabilities for a higher position. For the most part, good employees are not without work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Core said:

Similar age and it really is the only way to predictably increase salary. I've been where I am for a long time because although they only average 1.5% and I'm a little behind the curve now pay wise the rest of the job is pretty darn chill and I'm hesitant to become another cog elsewhere, so I've stayed here for a loooong time.

I've been where I am at for just over 11 years now. I have a decent wage but know if I go somewhere else I will get more. Right now the pro's outweigh the con's of trying to go somewhere else and besides I am getting tired of my field of work in general so going somewhere else wont help me at all. 

57 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know engineers that were told the same thing in college..."You are worth more to those that don't have you" Switch employers ever few years to push their wages up. They were the first ones that were let go after 2008 becasue their wage exceeded their experience. a "warm body" was no longer needed. I review resumes as a big part of what I do. Showing no commitment to long term employment is a circular file and not into a first interview.  the "kids" now a days want a promotion and title and to then be trained for the new position. When I came up, you spent extra time, learned more than was required for your position and proved you had the capabilities for a higher position. For the most part, good employees are not without work. 

I personally hate the thought of having a new job every 3-5 years. While I may not absolutely love coming into work every day I am here on time for at least my 40 hours a week and I will do whatever is required to finish jobs and get them out the door even if they are not my jobs. In return I have a lot of leeway on things like right now being on the internet responding to a hunting forum post lol. 

• Like 3