We need a HuntingNY get together !

turkeyfeathers

10 hours ago, ....rob said:

Seeing this is already divided, and most folks are pretty firm on not leaving their region, why not start some threads in the "Camping And Hiking" section for the separate regions? Some great folks on this site I would like to meet and maybe learn something from, but, I too am of the ilk who won't travel 4-6 hours. 

Is there going to be camping and hiking?

I'm 2.5 hrs from the Capital region and close to 3 hrs from Buffalo. I'm screwed either way
Feb 26th I may be at Sahlens Sports Center for a tournament. Anyone close? Maybe grab a beer?

There's a good pub down the street for lunch while you're there. Soccer or softball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

There's a good pub down the street for lunch while you're there. Soccer or softball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soccer - We are supposed to be in the Thruway league this spring as well which will get us up that way a few more times. I will let you guys know and maybe we can set something up.

Edited by Zem18

7 hours ago, Elmo said:

Met NFA-ADK, Shawnhu, Biz, 13BVET, Martin, Magnumhunt, Lungshot1971, Borngeegee, left field, and a few others who don't frequent the forum anymore.

I'm always open to meetup and was very disappointed that I had to miss one that was held in Long Island years ago.

I think we should break up the meetup into at least two if not 3 separate meetups.  A western zone, a southern zone, and a northern zone.  Even Albany is a 2 and a half hour drive for me and even that will probably deter a lot of the guys in Long Island or south eastern edges of New York City.  It'll definitely going deter many of those in the Buffalo/Rochester area.

Alright Elmo,

Lets do a Long Island, all the way to Dutchess county one. I'd be up for a meet and greet. Let's wait till april or later. I'm also up for an annual Crow hunt with the guys we get. May be fun in Early fall to meed at Stewart or somewere else. Just a thought. In April is also Trout fishing season. If we most of us fish, we can meet up and have a fishing party. 

Ant thoughts about this guys from these locations. Give me your input.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, martin said:

Alright Elmo,

Lets do a Long Island, all the way to Dutchess county one. I'd be up for a meet and greet. Let's wait till april or later. I'm also up for an annual Crow hunt with the guys we get. May be fun in Early fall to meed at Stewart or somewere else. Just a thought. In April is also Trout fishing season. If we most of us fish, we can meet up and have a fishing party. 

Ant thoughts about this guys from these locations. Give me your input.

Id be down for that.  

I've met a couple members on here and went pheasant hunting with a member who I don't think posts anymore.

Edited by diplomat019

28 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

May I suggest someone divide the state into regions and then have one person volunteer from each region to find a camp area so all those that want to go can make arrangements with dates and site.

Our's will be called the "Southeast Region".  Area's are Long Island, NY City, Weshchester County, Putnam, Dutchess, Orange, Sullivan, Ulster. Sullivan May be to far though. We also have Region's broken down on here. Why not use that. If 2 region's want to combine, then great. 

• Like 1

Seems like 3 "regions" would work. Western, central/northern and then southern.

Here's an example. This is just a generic pic I found on google.
cb801167983bef4ef8f6c7030a863722.jpg

And if events are held on different dates in the different regions. People can decide if they want to travel to the different region events at their leisure.

• Like 1

This has been attempted many times on many forums. Every once in a while it works.

Almost all of the ones that work and work well takes someone who opens their doors or a sportsman's club doors - not just taking the lead.

One member here had a get-together at his house for a different forum and with local hunters here in wNY. It was a great time; people shared tactics that made them successful and what not. Brought mounts and photos.

• Like 2

Agree wth Phade . I belong to The Usual Suspect Network, a forum stared for knife guys, we have regional groups with regular get togathers nationwide, and what has become one of the largest knife shows in the world in Los Vegas.

Members attend that from around the world, all started from a few guys who broke off of another knife forum and started their own .

Clearly an exception , but it can be done .

perhaps we could get a sticky, for area meet ups ?

Not sure how willing people would be towards opening up their homes for online friends.  Hunting clubs works well.  Bars/restaurants would only work if there is a hard commit from members.  I certainly don't want to make a reservation at a place for 15 and only 4 or 5 people show up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The last forum getogether I attended was with the DOM ( Dirty Old Men) forum...

We had it at Mabel's House of Pleasure..

Mabel was tied up and couldn't make the cocktail hour...

That doesn't count because none of you got to meet each other or spoke.  You just scurried in and out with your head ducked down and your hat pulled down low.

• Like 3

We used to do yearly get-togethers with a bunch of local fellow shed hunters from the area on another site. Everyone brought their antlers and mounts and set up some tables in the parking lot to put everything on display.

We picked the Stone Tool Show at Letchworth Park for the meet up location. It worked out great as the date was set, and the location was open to the public free of charge before the park opened. Food and drinks were available inside the show if you needed anything. The theme of the Tool Show fit right in with the tables of "bones" we had on display and drew in outside visitors to gawk at all the antlers we brought.

After everyone got caught up talking about and taking pictures of their horns, we made our way into the show to look around and check things out. worked out great for the guys who brought their families for both events without making it feel like they were just there to hang out with their hunting buddies.

• Like 2