Safe Act Repeal Bill

Five Seasons

i must  be reading it wrong.thought it was for the state excluding  those five counties 

It would remove it for the rest of the state. And that's the part of the state that seems to care the most. They already have a bunch of separate laws, this might be the best chance however little that we have.

• Like 2

So really, the story is not whether you can bring it to vote, or even if you can somehow get it passed. The fact is that you have to have enough overwhelming support that you can over-ride the governor's veto. I hate to discourage anyone from trying, but the time for fighting The Safe-Act was before it got passed (in the dead of the night). We even got a second chance at it all through the general election for Governor and that didn't work so well for us either.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

So really, the story is not whether you can bring it to vote, or even if you can somehow get it passed. The fact is that you have to have enough overwhelming support that you can over-ride the governor's veto. I hate to discourage anyone from trying, but the time for fighting The Safe-Act was before it got passed (in the dead of the night). We even got a second chance at it all through the general election for Governor and that didn't work so well for us either.

There is another hope. This SCOTUS nomination and keeping my fingers crossed that Ruth can't hold onto her position much longer. A  foundational shift of the court could  give us a favorable ruling. 

5 hours ago, Doc said:

You're right and at the risk of derailing this into a political discussion it's funny now to see the screaming and yelling about the constitution, executive orders and transparency. When the safe act passed in the dead of night all hush, hush nobody cried foul but us. People need to realize the way the government works is broken and look at the big picture and not on a case by case basis. It applies to both the SAFE act and the immigration freeze. The same granola munchers out there protesting now should have been protesting with us before.

If it passes I'm immediately buying my scary black gun that I now regret waiting on.

13 minutes ago, Padre86 said:

I can't tell if my vote and information was accepted or not.  I filled in all the fields and clicked "support this bill" but I get no confirmation that my vote was registered or accepted.  

I had the same problem....Probably to many people filling it out so they made it so they only accept Nay votes....

Well if it is a glitch, hopefully it gets fixed.  I think this idea is novel and appropriate for a place like NY.  Upstate counties are generally in favor of less government interference and regulation, with obvious exceptions of course (like where I live).  But the fact is the only reason the SAFE act got enacted was because of NYC's higher population which gives it greater influence in the house and governorship.  If those people elected the politicians responsible for the SAFE act, let them have those regulations, and let the upstate counties figure out for themselves what regulations are and aren't appropriate.

You hear about similar issues with cougar hunting out west in states like California, Oregon and Washington; the more heavily populated coastal regions get riled up and vote, based on emotions more than anything else, to outlaw certain forms of lion hunting (or in CA's case to outlaw it all together), while the outdoorsmen, hunters, farmers/ranchers and rural residents have to live day-to-day with the implications of those shortsighted policies.  It makes no sense to me why someone living in Seattle, who doesn't hunt or farm, should be able to dictate policies that apply to someone living in the eastern part of Washington.  

Edited by Padre86

I have commented on this already but one thing I think we are forgetting is we need to DRAIN THE SWAMP here in NY before we see any sign of favorable gun regulation reform.

With people like Schumer, Gillibrand, Cumo, etc. still in place it will continue to be a hard fought battle for those attempting to change the law.

Gun owners had enough clout in the last election to oust Cumo and simply did not turn out to vote. Since we don't have  term limits we are looking at another four years of Cumo until he makes his presidential bid in 2020.

How can we ask others to support our interests when we don't support ourselves.

(and before you ask...I voted and signed the petition)

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1