New York offers so much

First-light

Second 21 on the video. looks much better on the phone…….There was a pod of three whales feeding for about an hour out there. When it first happened people rushed down to the waters edge but people in the water also rushed out thinking shark!

We really do have a nice state with varied terrain and people.  The falls are nice, Catskills, ADK, rivers and lakes, gorges!  The sound and ocean.  

All I can say about being IN the water is I want to be OUT if something can actually swallow me, even if by accident! 

• Like 6

With so many years in this state under my belt, I guess I must be pretty happy with NYS. I never had any desire to leave. I think I would have a heck of a time finding my great lifestyle anywhere else. Now if we could just straighten up the politics in this state, everything would be perfect ..... lol.

• Like 8

Too bad NYS has all the stupid laws / rules and high taxes. I left long ago, but come back (selectively) to hunt and visit when times are right. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the cold weather. I'm a sissiy and get cold easily (probably from being in Florida for so long). 

• Like 1

You know, I think I can negotiate a heavy snow storm, or simply ignore the occasional one a whole lot easier that some of those Florida hurricanes. In fact even the stinking heat and humidity of the south would keep me clutching the air conditioner inside the house instead of being outdoor playing in the woods. My one trip to Florida had me bored with the dead flat terrain and had me constantly staring at the ground scanning the area ahead for snakes, and I never did feel comfortable walking anywhere but well mowed lawn and pavement. No, I think I prefer the occasional snow storm. It sure does beat hurricanes, earthquakes and tornados. Sure enough we have our share of pain-in-the-butt weather, but most of it doesn't blow our houses down, or pick them up in the air and smash them to the ground, or shake them apart, or bury them up to the eaves in water.

• Like 2

I spotted a whale in RI last month, and the entire beach walked down to see where I was pointing. If that thing didn't breech again my friends would have busted my onions for the rest of my days. A lady told me she'd lived on that beach for 60 years and never saw one. NY is awesome, the fishing and hunting is fantastic IMO

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Doc said:

You know, I think I can negotiate a heavy snow storm, or simply ignore the occasional one a whole lot easier that some of those Florida hurricanes. In fact even the stinking heat and humidity of the south would keep me clutching the air conditioner inside the house instead of being outdoor playing in the woods. My one trip to Florida had me bored with the dead flat terrain and had me constantly staring at the ground scanning the area ahead for snakes, and I never did feel comfortable walking anywhere but well mowed lawn and pavement. No, I think I prefer the occasional snow storm. It sure does beat hurricanes, earthquakes and tornados. Sure enough we have our share of pain-in-the-butt weather, but most of it doesn't blow our houses down, or pick them up in the air and smash them to the ground, or shake them apart, or bury them up to the eaves in water.

Florida isn't that bad. I lived in Florida. It's not teeming with deadly creatures. The worst things that happened to me down there were being stung by a jellyfish and being bitten by fire ants. I spent a ton of time on and in the water, and lots of time hiking, etc in the woods and other non maintained places. Ive been through tropical storms, and they aren't pleasant, but they don't really strike all that often in most areas of the state. As for the heat, your body acclimatizes to it. I left all of my winter jackets behind when I moved there and ended up buying new ones when anything below 50 started making me shiver. 

Ive been in NY for most of my life, but once my kids are out of high school, I'm gone. There are lots of nice things in this area, but the same can be said for just about anywhere else. 5 to 6 months of winter is too much, so I'll be heading south. Most likely TN or KY. Still get the full range of seasons there with a very short winter. Beautiful country down there, taxes aren't bad and they are both (so far at least) free states that aren't under the liberal thumb. 

• Like 5

The variety of fishing and hunting in NY can not be found elsewhere.

what it lacks in big game it makes up for in variety and abundance of small game, long seasons and liberal bag limits.

If you consider all the adjoining or nearby states, and you should, with their variety and different season dates, you have a diversity and season length that can not be matched anywhere else in the country.

For instance if you combine Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and half of New York you have the area of the state of Wyoming.....Wow, Wyoming is huge, huh?

Yes, but another way of viewing it is I have to drive across half of NY and all of New England before my season changes or I have a different hunting or fishing opportunity, whereas in that same distance a NY'er can hunt 7 different states and everything from crabbing and flounder fishing to wilderness trout, sea ducks to grouse with turkey and bear and moose and deer thrown in for added fun.

Upland hunting, shore hunting, mountain hunting, farmland hunting, freshwater or salt, it is a matter of a few hours ride and you are in a whole new region in NY.

Something very lacking here in Wyoming where my county is the size of Vermont and the terrain does not change much if at all in a 10 hour ride at highway speed.

I would make use of and appreciate all that New York and the surrounding areas offer, and I certainly would never recommend that anyone who loves hunting and fishing move from NY to WY, you'll be disappointed, and sorely miss the short distances you only had to travel to have a huge variety of sport back in NY.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, wooly said:

I think it's also documented that NY state also has more mountain lion sightings than any other state that actually has an established population of mountain lions.

How exciting is that!

Ha... Ask any DEC officer and they will tell you there's no MT lions in NY, and you seen a bobcat or coyote.   

I haven't seen the whales yet this year, but the dolphins have been around quite a bit. I went to West End, at Jones Beach for the last 2 days, but saw nothing..I missed the whales last year because in the early fall the kayak fishing for blues/bass was so good on the North Shore that I didn't fish the south shore surf. Then I left New York and when I got back there were no fish on the south shore. The year before the whales gave a great show !! 

I spend a lot of time on the south shore so I did get to see the snowy  owls at the beach , and a saw whet owl in the pines on the bay side.

One of my favorite things on L.I. is being in my kayak when the seals are here in the fall. Kayaking(fishing) when the seals are close by makes me feel like Nanuk of the North. The fishing dies down when the seals are close, but I'm good with that. It's just a little competition.

It would be hard for me to move from New York because, for me, it has about everything that I want. As far as high taxes, I figure that you get what you pay for. Like everyone I'd like to pay less, but it's the life I choose to live .

• Like 2

wow this is so true but man 30-40 yrs ago new york state was amazing i mean 3hrs drive to some of the best and i mean the best hunting and fishing on the east coast. i never went far believe it or not brooklyn  sheepshead bay you could grab a boat 12 months of the year nite whiting and cod all winter long[ man you talk about cold] in the fall and spring flounder and blackfish and blues and fluke all summer . freeport was good  too never really went to montauk or orient pt. didnt have to.hunting i hunted all over the catskills and long island i work the weekend so i was off on tues, and wed. i would go to long island for pheasants and rabbits during the week and just get in the car and go. i always hunted the coops tenmile river,stewart airport,and the dutchess cnty coop all you had to do was show up and give them your license and pick a spot. and getting back to fishing i fished the reservoirs had gotten  the permit for a long time and surf fishing right in rockaway the best striped bass any where. wow too much to list but now sadly things have changed with the regulations i mean travel 3-4 [without traffic lol] for one striped bass and we lost alot of hunting areas. and shooting too use to go to suffork county range on rt 110 in farmingdale well thats gone too and too developed now . hope we have a future for my grandsons to enjoy

• Like 2

I guess if I could choose it wouldn't be here. My taxes are a joke and I run a small business for 15 years. When I tell peopler what I pay for workmans comp and my sales tax it's a joke. Sure the hunting and fishing are better than some states. But Paying for NYC politics that has nothing to do with us is BS. Kentucky would be nice to have a place but not sure I could live there full time. Maybe retirement 

Edited by sodfather
  • Like 2