Draw weight

HuntOrBeHunted

52lbs let's me do a nice smooth push pull draw... Using that method it's almost impossible to be picked up on by game while drawing.. I  see way to many people shooting to much weight and they can't draw their bow properly.. 

I've also seen many friends and family with shoulder problems that were shooting to much weight.. They all have reduced their poundage now.. With proper limbs and weight your bow is just as efficient as a higher weight draw with out the other problems that come with excessive poundage

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

52lbs let's me do a nice smooth push pull draw... Using that method it's almost impossible to be picked up on by game while drawing.. I  see way to many people shooting to much weight and they can't draw their bow properly.. 

I've also seen many friends and family with shoulder problems that were shooting to much weight.. They all have reduced their poundage now.. With proper limbs and weight your bow is just as efficient as a higher weight draw with out the other problems that come with excessive poundage

By improperly ,do you mean the people that look like they're hunting flying birds when they draw?

Just now, Jeremy K said:

By improperly ,do you mean the people that look like they're hunting flying birds when they draw?

Yep the flying pull back or having to horse. The bow back.. You should be able to keep your bow perfectly in line with your target completely through the draw.. No having to bring the sights down into it or up l into it

• Like 2

~59. I might have even brought it up to 60 last year just on principle. I know deer die just fine at 50 (and even lower), but more draw weight very slightly reduces the margin of error with ranging (higher speed/less drop) the target and slightly increases the damage to the target. Both of these are hardly measurable in practice, of course.

I might lower it more comfortably into the 50's at some point just for long term injury prevention. 

Edited by Core

i've shot my current bow and others at 70lbs or close to it well in hunting or competition situations for years.  i just turned down my primary hunting bow to 62-63 lbs last night and re-tuned it. i can draw disgustingly easy now and can hold that much longer.  at 345 fps IBO it's still fast with arrows over 400 grains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

70lbs limbs maxed out.. id say give or take a couple pounds. from 70 and I'm there lol

Speaking of bow draw weights and let offs... Did anyone see the PSE video where the guy puts the new PSE on a Poundage scale. Once its at full draw he lets go and the bow stays in the "Full Draw" position without anyone or anything holding it?? Pretty wild Holding weight there!! 

ever surf the internet for people duplicating that video?  haha  pretty fun to watch.  sheetrock dust settles and the bow stuck in the ceiling.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have not, but that will be on my to do list at lunch! lol

seems the few i've seen have been on social media with no actual link to it.  just search for one i've seen and it got taken down.  i keep coming across the young man trying to draw a bow, gets it back, and then it comes flying back at him.  another where a guy is in a kitchen  showing others how easy it is to draw.  puts his head between riser and string to be funny.  then he gets stuck.  lmao... still, i'm kind of disappointed.

• Like 1

I have a couple of recurve Bows one pulling 35lbs the other 50lbs my compounds I like having them setup in the 60lbs area. An exercise item that really helps out for archery is the old 'Bullworker" the older guys here probably remember them well as they were promoted quite a bit back in their day. Don't see much advertising for them these days but they are still available and they work well for exercising the upper body and especially the muscles used in archery.  There are two models, the big regular original model and the small steel bow model. I have mine sitting right here in my gun-computer room and use them for a few minutes just about every day and as an old geezer I can tell I have zero problems pulling back any of my bows. The main thing with these and especially with the big version is to start out real easy at first as you can pull some tendons if you are too rambunctious and go at it hard.

Al 

003.JPG

Edited by airedale

I shoot 67#'s, I'm capable of maxing my bow at 75#'s but I see no reason to.  As some have stated, it's important to draw in a straight line.  Also, when you are trying to draw on a deer in stealth mode after sitting in 30* temps all day, it somehow turns you into a weakling.  Nothing higher than upper 60's for me.

Edited by Taylormike

22 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

seems the few i've seen have been on social media with no actual link to it.  just search for one i've seen and it got taken down.  i keep coming across the young man trying to draw a bow, gets it back, and then it comes flying back at him.  another where a guy is in a kitchen  showing others how easy it is to draw.  puts his head between riser and string to be funny.  then he gets stuck.  lmao... still, i'm kind of disappointed.

Yea ive seen those lol, they were pretty good. Would love to see some bows rip through a ceiling though!! lol