Draw weight

HuntOrBeHunted

Pretty innocent question, huh? Lot more to the OP's question than how much can you pull back!!!

Lot of things determine your max or a reasonable draw weight - body build, muscle tone, injuries, age, consistent form, hunting situation, bow's let-off, blah, blah... Obviously there's no ideal draw weight for everyone and Tom Miranda should NOT be your role model!

I've always used 2 factors, hold time being the major determination of much draw weight I can physically tolerate. The other factor is being able to pull straight back and not coming to full draw using the "wind mill" type of draw consistent with way too much poundage. JMO, if I can get a pass-thru with a well placed shot using a draw weight in the mid-50# range, why would I need more when shooting at deer in the typical ≤ 25yrd range..? Aren't your stand locations a direct correlation to your ethical range, also a by-product of draw weight and hold time? Naturally I do not hunt close to the perimeter of agr fields with the ethical range I have imposed on myself! So.. adapt and hunt!

There was a few years (during the mid 80s) that I had my bow set at 72#. The reason? We had a couple of moose hunts planned, and I mistakenly thought that the heavy poundage was required. But with that successfully completed, my attention went back to whitetails and I dropped the poundage back to 60 pounds. There were some joint and muscle problems developing that encouraged me to do that. I am convinced that if I had continued at that higher draw weight, I likely would not be bowhunting today. Now, with advancing age, I have knocked a few more pounds off the 60#, and I still have penetration to spare, and a shallow enough trajectory to satisfactorily handle my 25-30 yard maximum hunting shots. In hindsight, there probably was never any good reason to ever exceed 60 - 65#, and most of my hunting could likely have been just as successful at 55-60 pounds. In my opinion, anything beyond that for a male with an average frame, only risks potential damage and a shortening of bowhunting years. Archery does stress human joints and body parts in many unforgiving ways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm at 57 or so been awhile since I scaled it. Always been the same for me I see no reason to go any higher. I like to be able to draw easily when cold and layered up or tired or just feeling a little crappy and yet still in my stand. Buddy put his at 70 plus and we had a conversation about it. This is his first year bowhunting tried to warn him about cold and layers said he's been shooting with layers on but nothing is like the late October early Nov 30 degree mornings after sitting in stand for few hrs having a deer walk in and being stiff and trying to draw. But he says he's got it and I believe him. We all have our own limitations and expectations as long as you stay in them your golden.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

When I was younger and didn't know better, 80+.  Could shoot that all day and in any position.  Then one late spring day decided to get the bow out to practice for a upcoming 3D shoot.  First pull my elbow collapsed. Had to hunt that fall with a left handed bow. 

Pulling 42# now. 

When I was younger and didn't know better, 80+.  Could shoot that all day and in any position.  Then one late spring day decided to get the bow out to practice for a upcoming 3D shoot.  First pull my elbow collapsed. Had to hunt that fall with a left handed bow. 

Pulling 42# now. 

Too many roids sir

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

70lbs limbs maxed out.. id say give or take a couple pounds. from 70 and I'm there lol

Speaking of bow draw weights and let offs... Did anyone see the PSE video where the guy puts the new PSE on a Poundage scale. Once its at full draw he lets go and the bow stays in the "Full Draw" position without anyone or anything holding it?? Pretty wild Holding weight there!! 

When I was still using vertical bows, I used to run 70# until... one very cold morning (after sitting in the tree for 4 hours) a nice 8 point came by. I could not pull the damn bow back! From then on, I dropped back to 55# and all was better. Cold temps, heavy clothes, long sits, buck fever and old age do not go well with higher draw weights ... IMO!