Don't like bow-hunting from ladder stand :(

Core

Last couple of years I've dragged around a climber on state land. I have a spot this year on private and we put in a 2 person ladder stand from Walmart. Instant climb, lots of room, it's great. Shooting rail that can get out of the way. I sat down yesterday ready to go, and then when some deer came into view I stood up...and felt very naked!

First, this stand is only 15' to shooting rail, so my feet are only 12' up from the ground! But worse than that, since the seat does not pivot up (like a lock on does), or "smush back" out of the way (like my viper climber does), when I stand to get ready to shoot I'm now well away from the tree standing out in the open. It also means I can't lean against the tree.

I think this stand is going to be good for gun/xbow because I can stay seated for those and also shoot from further away, but the only recourse I can see now is buying a hang-on and using the ladder stand to climb up to it. I can get a few more feet in elevation, and with the seat out of the way I can snug up close to the tree to remain a little more hidden.

Others have similar experience with bow?

• Like 1

Shoot most times seated myself...and I don't hang my bow on a hook I leave it on my lap.... with my release hook to my d loop ready to rock and roll minimum movement in ladder stands as your wide open at 12 feet like you say
I love them myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You need to brush it in more.  Take wire ties and cut down a bunch of pine branches and basically cover yourself up to your waist so the only thing deer can see is above your waist, it will help.  Make sure you brush in under the feet stand area real good it helps when deer are close and allows for more movement.   Good luck. 

• Like 2

Love my ladder stands.  I try place them so I can shoot while seated, but as we all know, deer don't read the script, lol. 

Shot many deer while standing and seated.  I do look for taller stands. I've got a couple that are 18' to the platform. 

We use a lot of ladder stands, for the convenience of getting in and out quiet and quick.  We almost always get the taller ones (unless a spot is better suited for a shorter stand due to cover reasons) and ones with fold up seats.  With ladder stands it's my opinion that you get what you pay for, that's why we buy the higher end stands. 

• Like 1

IMO a ladderstand is terrible for bowhunting and would be my last resort...

As far as the sitting down shooting comments that generally works fine if right handed and shotting straight or to the right, it becomes very akward and almost impossible to the left without completly hanging your legs off the side of the stand and moving your whole body, then as stated very uncomfortable to try and stand...

yuk why bother...

2 hours ago, Core said:

First, this stand is only 15' to shooting rail, so my feet are only 12' up from the ground! But worse than that, since the seat does not pivot up (like a lock on does), or "smush back" out of the way (like my viper climber does), when I stand to get ready to shoot I'm now well away from the tree standing out in the open. It also means I can't lean against the tree.

If that's what your problem is, then why not just buy a taller ladder stand, with a flip up seat, full platform, and a removable gun rest?? 

Edited by Cabin Fever

We use primarily basic ladder stands (no arm rests etc.) and only 12" to platform.  They work fine for us.  We try to have back cover whenever possible, but have some without it and still kill deer.  Move slow and strategically is the only advice I can offer. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Core said:

Last couple of years I've dragged around a climber on state land. I have a spot this year on private and we put in a 2 person ladder stand from Walmart. Instant climb, lots of room, it's great. Shooting rail that can get out of the way. I sat down yesterday ready to go, and then when some deer came into view I stood up...and felt very naked!

I think this stand is going to be good for gun/xbow because I can stay seated for those and also shoot from further away, but the only recourse I can see now is buying a hang-on and using the ladder stand to climb up to it. I can get a few more feet in elevation, and with the seat out of the way I can snug up close to the tree to remain a little more hidden.

Others have similar experience with bow?

I hate ladder stands!! I don't care if they are doubles and high.. I.like my back against a tree and no rails..I'll do a hang on every time over a ladder..

• Like 1

Core, I love my double ladder stand but I think one of the guys on our property has the same walmart ladder stand you are describing and it is awful. Like Cabin Fever says, you can get a ladder stand with a flip up seat and a platform that goes all the way back to the tree so you can stand and lean against the tree. I leave my shooting rail down and every August I wrap it with that camo wrap that you can buy anywhere and zip tie it all around....conceals movement etc. Its great...Ladderstands can be awesome but you get what you pay for...

Well you gotta use what you like . I'm more and more into ladders , this one is 17 to rail , which I removed the seat folds up the platform large .

Yesterday morning I saw 13 deer all within 50 yards , some really close never got busted , a coyote hung out for 2-3 minutes in easy bow range .

edit , one buck saw me move as I was watching a doe behind the stand and did not see the buck .

image.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I hunt out of ladder stands only.  By far my favorite.  Make sure you buy the one that seat folds up against tree.   I love them, if they have a railing, even better.  I will lean against the railing for support, it helps steady me when shooting.  Mine is two man, 22' ft high, full folding seat with railing that folds too!  10 years old, still safe but starting to rust.

You can't group all ladder stands the same. You have the cheap 15 foot basic ones. These work fine you just need to find the best spots. I find these work in a multi trunk tree. I have one that is 19 feet like this. I bought 4 and took one to add one extra length to the rest. I have it in a tree with 4 trunks. It is perfect. Sit and lean into tree behind. Stand and lean on tree to right.

Then there are real nice ladder stands. I have an X-stand. 18 feet. Rails, fold up seat, drink holder.....

No matter what stand you are using you need to watch your back ground and cover. A bunch of guys already gave good advise to brush it in.

I find ladder stands to be very safe and sturdy as I get older. Putting up hang ons is just not fun for me anymore. I also have my climber if I feel like being somewhere else.

• Like 2

I put my ladder stands in clumps of trees where they don't stand out so much.  I have one that sticks out when the maple leaves drop.  Thinking of "wrapping" it with camo netting next year.  I didn't get to it early enough this year, so I won't bother.  

Ladders seem safe to me, easy to get into, and sturdy.  All mine have flip-up seats.  Killed both bucks out of ladders last year.  A 16 footer, no frills & a 22 foot double rail.

7 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

If that's what your problem is, then why not just buy a taller ladder stand, with a flip up seat, full platform, and a removable gun rest?? 

I actually didn't know they existed. Now I do! It seems some people share the same issue, hence their existence, but unfortunately the el cheapos at walmart won't do it. 

It sounds like my problem is a) cheap stand and b ) where I put it. The tree I put it on is in the open, but it's just a great crossroads for deer. I like the netting idea a lot to cover the bottom somewhat. I wonder if it would blow around too much.

Edited by Core

19 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I won't bow hunt from a ladder stand. I have a 8lb hangon I carry in and hang above ladder if that's where I want to hunt. I have size 13 shoes and other than the 2 man ladders I can't turn my feet on the platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just learn to levitate Buckmaster.  My 13eee work fine on those little platforms, but I only hunt blind deer.  That might help.

• Like 1

Love my ladders, the one you mentioned is what I have shot a lot of my deer out of. Sounds like you are sky lined and need to picka tree with more back drop (trees, leaves, brush behind you to allow your silhouette to blend into the surroundings. I love to hang mine in pines you get the best cover.