Picking days to take off to hunt

genesee_mohican

Most working guys have to schedule time off in advance and just stick with those days to hunt even if the weather conditions for deer movement are less than ideal on those days. I can be a little flexible and hope to take a couple days off late Oct or early Nov to catch the best weather days where deer will be most likely to move around all day. Here's a good video on that subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lum66f-2aMM

I scheduled a day a week for the first three weeks of season.  But just cancelled my Monday and moved it to Tues next week for a 4 day weekend due to the heat.  Too warm to hunt when its 80 degrees.  Yes some deer still move but not as good in daylight as when its cooler.  And I just dont like hunting as much when its that warm, doesnt seem right.  People at the offices at work laugh cause I cancel vacation on nice warm days and take the cold fronts off.  - But I plan my days out months in advance but dont really take any days off all summer and try to set myself up for the fall to have that time and flexibility.  But...... i also do my dept schedule! lol

For the last 27 years I've had to pick my time off in Nov for the following year .

Now I only work 15-16 days a month so that helps . But generally I pick as close to Nov 4 - 13 for one trick and often last week or so Oct to .

7 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

For the last 27 years I've had to pick my time off in Nov for the following year .

Now I only work 15-16 days a month so that helps . But generally I pick as close to Nov 4 - 13 for one trick and often last week or so Oct to .

Will you hire me for hunting season and let me schedule the same vacation days?  Please........

2 hours ago, growalot said:

That's the video I mentioned the other day..very interesting

oops sry I didn't see it. 

I saw a study on deer movements related to weather a few years ago and began thinking about it a lot more. It sure makes sense that bucks, especially the older more shy ones will move more during daylight hours on the days where the weather conditions all come together.

peak bangin' always happens last week in november around here i'm told by research and my own eyeballs.  southern zone season already has them pressured and they're usually holed up in thick stuff screwin around.  better chance any dominant buck for the area is going to be on one of those first hot doe versus the free for all when they all come in. 1st to 2nd week in November is when first doe start to come into estrous in numbers and that's the best odds when you'll have the first crack at the king of your hunting honeyhole.  it's like when college seniors roll into the bar at 11pm to seal the deal, after freshman have been running around for hours looking stupid all night (someone here used that analogy at one time and it stuck with me). the other time is the first week in December on a high energy food source that's way back in that hasn't seen much of any pressure.  aside from that any time between is a crap shoot but anything and everything can go down at any time of day.  any time you can hunt is good, assuming the good ones your after are still alive. 

i don't really believe in different phases of the general mass rut so much, as a buck is with a doe for 72 hours.  first 24 is the chasing phase.  second 24 is the breeding phase. last 24 hrs he's hanging around to do his failed best at keeping any other bucks away.

I have all my days off (retired). But don't let that fool you. Fall is the month when most of my other activities are in full swing. And then there are all the doctors appointments and social obligations. So my time is not as free or random as one might think. It seems that back when I was working, I seemed to have more time than I do now.

However, the final years of my career, I was able to set my own hours, and I had more vacation than was decent. Pushing my start time as early as I could always left every afternoon free for the evening hunt.

• Like 1

Fortunately, I can set my own schedule and will be hawking the weather reports to get out on the best Novemeber days.   

Oh, who am I kidding...one look at the latest deer down pic in the 'Live from the Woods' thread and I'd be out there on a hot n humid Tuesday! :haha:

• Haha 1

I will be taking off the first 2 full weeks In November. Will not hit the woods until then. I did hunt opening night. Focusing on work and family and then hitting the woods hard. Will be pulling all day sits for 2 weeks. Last year it took 10 straight days to get it done!!! Veterans day I have shoot 2 of my biggest bucks

Always a crap shoot. I usually kill my deer in NY in the last two weeks of the season. Number of reasons for that. Some of it is me, and some of it is the whitetail's behavior. I really bear down as the season comes to an end...do a lot of passing in the early going. Worst thing is to kill one early...then what would I do? The other part of the equation is the stage of the activity of the deer...this year, I expect most bucks to be on their feet in the daytime second week of November this year. If there is any metric that is important, it is how many bucks are on their feet in the daytime. That is in line with when the most does come into estrus. That "hormonal hurricane" (to coin a term) in the deer woods is when I like to be there. It is crazy and my success has often come from taking advantage of the moment. Down though the years I have found the most bucks on their feet in the daytime is after  the first week following the full moon. And this year...it is the second week of November.

Edited by Buckstopshere
  • Like 1