What do you guys do for a living?

BigVal

I started as a construction worker (residential) when 14 years old, worked in a local hospital as a radiologist runner, I did masonry labor, learned welding, built some dirt modified race cars and was headed into self employment after college in one of the skilled labor fields.

My "dream job" was to be a ranger or conservation officer but at that era it was nearly impossible to get in the door.

My father who also did construction stressed to learn a trade and then get a job with security, paid retirement and health benefits. I did just that and never looked back, now I can remodel my own home, do odd jobs on the side, and was able to build my own camp in the Adirondacks.

Edited by Salmon_Run
added text
  • Like 2

I went from home-builder to Architect to furniture and boat-builder and back to general builder. I've only spent four of the last forty years working for someone else, so I've always had time to hunt when I wanted. The downside is that I took a lot of time off to hunt, and now I'm mostly broke. :sorry: I wouldn't trade a minute of it though.

• Like 4

Worked construction and started out as a Surveyor. Worked my way to Foreman and then Superintendent  and Project Manager. Worked for some large companies and ran projects over $60 million. I've had over 140 craft under my direct supervision but the travel sucked. Gotta go to where the projects are being built. I have run an  Estimating department and now handle along the company's labor along the east coast.   There is a HUGE market (and shortage)for skilled trades right now and I don't see it gettign any better in the next 20 years. I deal mainly with fitters, plumbers and pipe welders. I hire apprentices right out of high school. in MD it's $17 and hour to start and we pay the books and tuition for school. Pay raises every 6 months and at the end of 4 years (22 years old) you are making $70,000 a year not counting over time. in another year if you are on top of your game you pick up another $4 bump. $80,000 at 23 years old. And you know what? I can't get them to show up for work. But that is another story. If you want to travel and be a shutdown whore you can easily make 100k-140k a year. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 5

Paramedic and I love it. I’ve been at my company for 12 years and currently serve as the assistant director of operations. I’ve learned that it is very important to love your work, if not, life can be miserable. I’ll never own a million dollar home or 4 fancy sports cars, but, my family will always be warm and fed.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Worked construction and started out as a Surveyor. Worked my way to Foreman and then Superintendent  and Project Manager. Worked for some large companies and ran projects over $60 million. I've had over 140 craft under my direct supervision but the travel sucked. Gotta go to where the projects are being built. I have run an  Estimating department and now handle along the company's labor along the east coast.   There is a HUGE market (and shortage)for skilled trades right now and I don't see it gettign any better in the next 20 years. I deal mainly with fitters, plumbers and pipe welders. I hire apprentices right out of high school. in MD it's $17 and hour to start and we pay the books and tuition for school. Pay raises every 6 months and at the end of 4 years (22 years old) you are making $70,000 a year not counting over time. in another year if you are on top of your game you pick up another $4 bump. $80,000 at 23 years old. And you know what? I can't get them to show up for work. But that is another story. If you want to travel and be a shutdown whore you can easily make 100k-140k a year. 

I'm gonna take a guess ,they buy a new truck and put a lift kit on it and then just disappear . Thats how the young guys are where i work anyway

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I"m a Tool & Die Maker, for a Manufacturing Company.. Garlock Sealing Technologies. I run CNC, Manual Machines, grinders etc.. I love my job. The best part is we cant hire anyone even if we wanted to. Last of a dying breed it seems.. Therefore we take the young(er) bucks since I'm only 31 lol and train them to learn all our tooling and the ins and outs of Garlock Tool making.. 

Great industry to be in, especially if you got a good head, can learn and advance. I heard of companies in Rochester that are seeking Machinists/Programmers that will pay $50+/hour with overtime. They cant find good machinists anymore. 

cant go wrong with any Skilled Trades 

Ha. You work at Garlock. Let's just say there is a girl there who thinks my name is a four-letter word. Good times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

I meant crappy as in midnights, holidays, family get togethers, kids sports ect. Nothing worse than a guy that gets hit with mandatory after a 16hr over night.

I did those hours for much of my career in food service too, now I have a cushy job that I could literally do all of my tasks in one day a week.

Private company/jail? Or leeching off the public taxes I/we pay on this site? LOL.

6 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I work at a small architectural office. I started out as a drafter after college and am now a project manager. I do everything the licensed architects do but don't have the license (its debatable if i even want it). There are days that I love my job and there are days I hate it. 

If I was starting all over I would be looking into getting involved with a trade and skip the huge college debt. My thing was I didn't want to move to the other side of the state for a corrections job or a police officers job mostly because friends, family and an absolutely beautiful girlfriend who is now my wife. Lol. 

Whatever you decide make sure it's something that you want to do. Don't take a job just because it pays well. That job will suck the life out of you no matter how big the check is. I've seen it happen many of times. 

Isn't that a forum faux-paus without supporting evidence? TPIWWP. My step daughter has her two year architectural degree...sells homes now. At least semi-relatable.

• Like 1

In middle management for a Fortune 1000 company, lead three business units within my division. Ranges between 105-180 people depending on the time of year and they are spread across Rochester, Tampa/St. Pete, and Phoenix. Have some fun, work ridiculous hours, travel a bit, and I've done better than I thought I ever would. I'm in the discussions for senior leadership roles and so at this point, everything is gravy and I am appreciative. It could all end tomorrow.

Part of me wants to see how far I can go here, and the other part of me wants to find a smaller scale employer where I can steer growth without the handcuffs larger companies can sometimes lock on. Plus, I've only ever met five people here that hunt...and having to explain why I am taking two weeks off for hunting just gets sooooooo repetitive, lol.

• Like 3

In middle management for a Fortune 1000 company, lead three business units within my division. Ranges between 105-180 people depending on the time of year and they are spread across Rochester, Tampa/St. Pete, and Phoenix. Have some fun, work ridiculous hours, travel a bit, and I've done better than I thought I ever would. I'm in the discussions for senior leadership roles and so at this point, everything is gravy and I am appreciative. It could all end tomorrow.
Part of me wants to see how far I can go here, and the other part of me wants to find a smaller scale employer where I can steer growth without the handcuffs larger companies can sometimes lock on. Plus, I've only ever met five people here that hunt...and having to explain why I am taking two weeks off for hunting just gets sooooooo repetitive, lol.

Outside of this forum, the only people I know who hunt are my Dad and 1 kid I went to high school with. 99% of my coworker’s don’t even know that hunting actually exists as a sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Biz that's nuts lol. Tons of good stuff here guys I appreciate the feedback. I'm interviewing for a job in a manufacturing setting that pays more than I make now and is apparently very strict with work and rules but whatever I need money to flow for my future and still thinking of school. Not to mention the wear on my body will be far less. 

10 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Biz that's nuts lol. Tons of good stuff here guys I appreciate the feedback. I'm interviewing for a job in a manufacturing setting that pays more than I make now and is apparently very strict with work and rules but whatever I need money to flow for my future and still thinking of school. Not to mention the wear on my body will be far less. 

Best of luck on the interview!

Isn't that a forum faux-paus without supporting evidence? TPIWWP. My step daughter has her two year architectural degree...sells homes now. At least semi-relatable.

God I must be getting old I had to look up TPIWWP to understand what your where talking about!

I thought this was the place you boast about how you are banging/dating/married to a certified 10 then just disappear until people forget what you said? No...huh?

I’m pretty sure she would kill me for posting a picture of her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk