Tree Stand Umbrella?

Lawdwaz

OK guys & gals, who's using a tree stand umbrella on Saturday?

I certainly will be but the real question is, will it hold up to 15-18mph winds?? :)

Would you put it up the day before or not?

I know the wind will push the rain sideways at times but the umbrella is a big game (pun?) changer...........

With high winds, the umbrella might not be of much help, but if you can set it up on the downwind side of a large diameter tree, it might do ok.   I have three blinds made from old truck caps that work good in those conditions.  I shot a big doe out of one last season on opening day after the wind and rain picked up in the afternoon.  Two of those are made from construction-style caps.  They have an enclosed lower deck and an open top, upper deck built on the ladder rack for fair-weather conditions.  I killed my crossbow buck from the upper deck of the one over at my folks place last Friday.

My tree umbrella did not work out so good on a rainy day up in the Northern zone last season but the problem I had with it was caused more by the hammock style seat that I strapped to the tree below it.   The water flowed down the tree, filling the seat and soaking me from the bottom up, while my top stayed dry.  I will use a free-standing stool with it next time (cost $7 at Aldis).   Aldis also had pop-up blinds for $30 that would probably work better than a tree umbrella in high winds and rain.    

No I bought one but winds will not be good. I do think the chair blind which is light and easy to use may come out. I have my orange fleece to clip to it for safety..or just use one of the tower blinds or garden popup. It is a complete toss up for I have no patterns to go by as in past years and am completely clueless on how deer will move. I  do know one thing.  The neighbor with the sanctuary will not be out and anyone hunting her place  will have orders to avoid moving deer...she hates the guys behind her. I also know where all the local stands are due to searching for that buck. Also where all the big bedding areas are and heaviest deer trails are..these deer are hanging along back yards big time. In gun that will take out a bunch of deer for sure opening day..

• Like 1

Where are these 25mph winds.  I am hunting about 30 min East of Utica by canajoharie.  8-10mph winds.  Rains kicks in around 9am or so.

IF you're around other trees, putting up that umbrella will be fine.   One of my treestands is a thin line of trees between 2 cornfields.  Deer might pick up that umbrella there.  I'd like to hunt that spot, but might not be a good idea.

I have a 30 inch tall or so shooting rest I covered up with brnaches for a blind.  That's in a wider tree lined area between two fields.  I might be better off there.

The real trick is to have 2 or 3 places to hunt that got you covered between different wind directions, weather, and any unknowns.  Like a nieghbor just put a stand right by yours,  they started logging in that area,   Heck i went to a hunting spot once and there was a car accident near a stand I was hunting.  No chance of getting a deer with fire trucks lights on......

I wouldn't put it up the day before. Mine has a screw end that is separate from the umbrella part. I will screw that into the tree the day before that way all I have to do is pop the umbrella into the base part....wrap the strap around the tree and its done. Takes like 30 seconds. I have used tree umbrellas for the past 6-7 years. Always carry it in my backpack. Last year I sat on the ground in a brush pile and had no way to fasten it and my pants aren't water proof, so I stuck it between my legs and it worked great.

I have been using a tree stand umbrella for years. I put it up before bow season starts and leave it up. I have never had an issue. Last year i forgot to take it down and kept saying i was going to go get it but never did. No big deal, they aren't expensive. So i have new one that has been on the tree since second week of September..Its still fine. Hopefully i will remember to grab it the last time i hunt so i can use it next year. 

Used one early November and it added a few hours to my hunt and I absolutely loved it....easy to put up and came with multi mounting brackets. That brand was made by hunter specialities......just picked up a field and stream brand for my dad.....but haven't opened it yet. The package says this ones mounting bracket screws into the tree. We shall see!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Looking at the extended forecast for Albany county, it looks like we might have a short window, between sunrise and ten AM.before the rain starts. That will be perfect for me to hunt my opening day spot up in a tree stand. I only hunt off the ground two or three times a year now, and opening morning is one of them. After the rain starts, it will be off to a travel funnel in my chair blind. The tree umbrella's do work well in light to moderate rain, but I've found they don't work so well in harder rain and strong winds. So I bought the chair blind a few years ago, and it's perfect for gun hunting in inclimate weather! 

• Like 1

I want to thank you for starting this thread...I thought hey maybe Mr.B would use it...I got the new one I bought out to check it out...and no hole in the umbrella rod so no way to keep it in the holder...Looks like the drill is coming out...I would have never checked .....It's a big game one..

Looking at the extended forecast for Albany county, it looks like we might have a short window, between sunrise and ten AM.before the rain starts. That will be perfect for me to hunt my opening day spot up in a tree stand. I only hunt off the ground two or three times a year now, and opening morning is one of them. After the rain starts, it will be off to a travel funnel in my chair blind. The tree umbrella's do work well in light to moderate rain, but I've found they don't work so well in harder rain and strong winds. So I bought the chair blind a few years ago, and it's perfect for gun hunting in inclimate weather! 
What type of chair blind Grampy?? I have the one that pops over my head when seated and have used from time to time in bad weather situations. Do you use a shooting stick or shoot free-handed while seated??

25 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

What type of chair blind Grampy?? I have the one that pops over my head when seated and have used from time to time in bad weather situations. Do you use a shooting stick or shoot free-handed while seated??

Yes, you open it up, sit in the chair, and pull the blind up over you. Think I paid around $100 for it. It is very cozy, dry and windproof. I do us a Primo's Trigger Stick, bi-pod or mono works great! It's also low profile and blends in most anywhere. I haven't done it yet, but could even bring a small propane heater to keep warm. I can sit much longer and comfortably in this, compared to a tree stand with the umbrella, during inclimate weather. And I'm mainly a ground pounder anyways, so don't feel I'm giving anything up by coming out of the trees. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but works great for me!

OK guys & gals, who's using a tree stand umbrella on Saturday?
I certainly will be but the real question is, will it hold up to 15-18mph winds??
Would you put it up the day before or not?
I know the wind will push the rain sideways at times but the umbrella is a big game (pun?) changer...........

What about hunting from the ground? Then all you need is a hood and scope caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk