No Deer But Got This

grampy

Was watching a doe group, when they became alarmed and took off up the hill. Couple minutes later this gal showed up, sneaking down the edge of the swamp. My buddies daughter will make some mittens with the pelt. They are quite common around here. Didn't weigh her but she's one of the biggest females we've ever taken.5329067951.thumb.jpg.9d5999c404839a4b7eb5406128de8f94.jpg

• Like 44

Congratulations on a beautiful cat....love them spots !    I'm so friggin jealous but glad you posted the photo.  I hope to someday get one myself as it's #1 on my bucket list.  Would you mind sharing what caliber you shot it with and the approximate distance ?  How big of an exit hole (if any) was there ? Way  to go grampy !

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

Congratulations on a beautiful cat....love them spots !    I'm so friggin jealous but glad you posted the photo.  I hope to someday get one myself as it's #1 on my bucket list.  Would you mind sharing what caliber you shot it with and the approximate distance ?  How big of an exit hole (if any) was there ? Way  to go grampy !

270 at 30 yards. Messed up the right shoulder pretty good. Just positioned her for a tasteful photo.

Thanks everyone! 

We have a fairly  good population of bobcats on the farm property.  And we usually get one by chance, while deer hunting, every couple years or so.  We are fortunate to see them in the wild often enough.  But rarely shoot one unless we have a plan for the pelt and a close sure shot. Have never got one while calling though. That would be really cool, but maybe this year? They are awesome and beautiful animals. My hunting partners daughter asks us every year, for a bobcat or cotote pelt. She does her own tanning and makes stuff from them. This cat will be a pair of ice fishing mittens for me, and possibly her dad too. 

That's awesome grampy. They are a true 4 legged ghost in the woods and certainly killing machines. I had one hop up on a log 10 feet From me one predawn morning in pa. Turkey hunting. It was so noisy walking I just set down a few yards in off the well road and he came through the woods and hopped up on the log and I never heard him walking in the leaves. He stayed there grooming himself for 15 minutes before he saw me and in the blink of an eye he was gone without a sound.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's a gorgeous cat, I hope we see more of them around in the future (some people probably hate that idea). Out of 18+/- years of running trailcams I've got exactly 1 bobcat picture. I'd love a bobcat mount, but I'm not sure I'd shoot one when I did see it haha, only one way to find out I guess. Awesome cat and congrats!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1