.44 Revolvers

Five Seasons

I have been slowly building my collection of firearms. The next on my list is a big bad .44 mag revolver. The gunslinger, John Wayne style. I think my favorite out of the gate is the colt anaconda, but the prices are truly discouraging. This is simply a "nice to have" for me and wont really serve a purpose so I'm not looking for a carry gun or home defense. Just something that's fun to shoot and intimidating as hell.

What are some alternatives? 

Super Black Hawk. This one was born in 1978 and in great shape. Shot a deer with it 2 years ago. My first hand gun deer and daughter was there to see it. Love shooting this one. A different type of recoil for sure. Lighter polymer guns tend to jump but this gun being heavier pushes back versus jump. 

0C5CEB1A-395D-4D45-B4AB-09CD7C4FD908.jpeg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

Ruger SuperRed Hawk very pleasant to shoot...I also own a 629 mountain gun That's s S&W with a 4inch barrel that gun beats me up after a box of 44mag....

The Mountain Gun was designed to be carried a lot and shot little...They are very popular with Alaskan Bush pilots, who will all tell you that they hope never to have to use them...It would probably be a fun gun to shoot with light .44 special loads..

• Like 1

I have an S&W 629DX with an 8 3/8’s barrel it shoots nice I have killed 1 deer with it. I also have a DW 44mag heavy vent 8” I bought back in the 80’s when they came out it came with two barrels one ported for jacketed bullets and one non-ported for cast bullets. That gun is a beast it weighs over 4lb’s. I have killed 11 deer with that gun it is a good shooter. If you can find a DW made in the 80’s I would buy it if you find a DW pistol pac I would pick that up for sure it will have barrels from 2 to 10 inches in it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

Gotta agree with airedale.......the S&W model 29 is sweet.

The absolute Caddilac  of .44 Mag revolvers.....Just as the Colt Python is the Caddilac  of .357 revolvers, although the S&W M27  comes in a very close second....And that is splitting hairs....

• Like 1

An older friend brought a SuperRedhawk 44 mag over last summer, that he just got a smoking deal on.  He asked me to check and see if the scope was on.  He had recently suffered a detached retina and his doctor advised against firing any gun.   I had never fired any pistol above a .357 mag, and was a bit intimidated at first.  My first shot from 50 yards completely missed the paper.   He seemed satisfied that the gun fired, and being very thrifty, was reluctant to part with another bullet. These were magnum, hollow-point hunting rounds, and were apparently very expensive.   The recoil was no where near what I was expecting.  I assured him that now that I knew how "tame" that gun was, I would make a better attempt if he gave me a second bullet.   He reluctantly parted with a another and that shot struck the edge of the bull.   Taking into consideration the weight of the gun and the feel of the recoil, I would estimate the energy of that round to be about 1/2 that of a magnum, 2-3/4" 12 gauge foster slug.   I would be very comfortable using it on a deer at up to 50 yards offhand, or 75 from a rest.              

If I was buying...Ruger Blackhawk, I had my eye on one for years, but never "pulled the trigger". L-O-L

When my father passed away, I inherited a Virginia Dragoon .44 mag, it was brand new in the box,  never fired, manufacture date stamped on the barrel is 4/16/1974, it has a 5 1/2" barrel. I've put a few hundred rounds through it so far. It kicks like a mule, I put checkered wood grips on it, and it handles a little better now (EXTREMELY hard to find grips for this particular gun). Not the most accurate pistol I have ever owned, but I am getting used to it, I can hit what I'm aiming at from 20 yards. I shoot .44 special rounds at the range, but have .44 mag hollow points for home defense & hog hunting. I am planning to bring it to Georgia with me next month on a hog hunt.

thumbnail_Picture0209181731_1.jpg

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I have an S&W 629DX with an 8 3/8’s barrel it shoots nice I have killed 1 deer with it. I also have a DW 44mag heavy vent 8” I bought back in the 80’s when they came out it came with two barrels one ported for jacketed bullets and one non-ported for cast bullets. That gun is a beast it weighs over 4lb’s. I have killed 11 deer with that gun it is a good shooter. If you can find a DW made in the 80’s I would buy it if you find a DW pistol pac I would pick that up for sure it will have barrels from 2 to 10 inches in it.

DW .44 was the gun for long distance metallic silhouette competition, it held the most wins and titles by far. I believe your gun ( same one I had ) was just under 4 pounds as that was the cut off for competition use .

At the time, Dan Wesson M44 was the lightest recoiling .44 magnum ever produced.[2][7] Light recoil was a side benefit in IHMSA silhouette competitions. The Model 44's high level of intrinsic accuracy, combined with an excellent trigger, and fast lock time, caused a surge in popularity of the M44 in heavy-caliber revolver competition, though the gun was also popular with handgun hunters and sportsmen who desired a gun for personal protection against bears or other large predators. The Power Control barrel and vented shroud were eventually dropped, though DW did experiment with an external shroud-mounted compensator in later models

Edited by Stay at home Nomad