Scariest experience or encounter in the woods or on the water

wooly

Just an off season topic I thought might be entertaining. Post up some of your own stories, near death experiences, wild animal attacks, edible plant poisonings, treacherous terrain accidents...etc, etc..

I'm sure many here are like myself and don't find NY to be a very dangerous place to enjoy the outdoors throughout the seasons, but I've had my share of close calls.

Probably my most serious happened within the last 10 years or so as I was hiking along one cold winter day looking for antlers. Back then I would set out for the day with everything I could possibly ever need in my backpack and hike for miles and miles.

Being so familiar with the area, I often wondered why I even bothered carrying all that crap with me. One day after setting out at the crack of dawn, I began working my way towards home to get there before the sun went down. After hiking for miles in knee deep snow all day, I was exhausted and looking for short cuts to get me back to a nice warm house, a hot meal, and a bed to rest up for the following days hike.

In the home stretch of my hike, I came to a creek I have to cross just about 3/4 mile from my front porch. I could see all the critter tracks on the frozen creek taking advantage of the hard water and packed down snow that made travel easier on them. This of course seemed like a brilliant idea at the time and one I would also use to make the last leg of this hike much easier on my tired body. With sub freezing temps for weeks leading up to this, there was no doubt in my mind the ice was plenty thick enough.

My mind was already celebrating making it through another all day hike and was on "auto pilot" as I made my way upstream at a good clip anxious to cover those last few hundred yards as quick as I could.

As I came around a bend in the creek, I noticed a spot ahead that was drifted over with snow. Without giving it much thought at the time, and with no easier way around it, I marched on and decided to trudge right through it just the way I had with all the deep snows behind me that day.

By the time I took my first few steps onto this different kind of surface in front of me, I could feel the difference under my feet and got a bad feeling about where I was, but it was too late to turn back. Without warning, and faster than I could react, the ice below me opened up and swallowed me whole! When my feet didn't hit bottom, I knew I was in trouble. Fortunately for me, that bulking backpack full of "survival gear" I questioned myself for carrying on all my hikes had hung up on the edge of the hole in the ice preventing me from going straight through, perhaps getting sucked under into the swift current that flowed below.

To this day I'm not exactly sure how I managed to pull myself out of the water and back on top of the ice.  I do remember what a chore it was though with all my clothes and gear being so much heavier after being filled with water. I can promise you though, there was no well planned technique or training involved. Almost instantly after I recovered from the close call, I realized I still had a ways to go through the knee deep snow again as soon as I got off the creek, and I could already feel my layers of clothes turning to ice around me. My entire body was feeling intense pain from the shock of being submerged in ice cold water and the air temperature wasn't helping none.

I knew I had to get home, and I had to get there FAST! 

I took off on a sprint to cover the last few hundred yards, but the deep snow wouldn't allow that to go on for any longer than 20-30 yard bursts. Every time I'd stop to catch my breath, the bitter cold wasted no time freezing me in my tracks to the point where it was hard to get moving again. I'm not sure it was a conscious decision, but at some point I just began to take a slow and steady walking pace that kept me warm(er) since I didn't have to take any breaks even though I wouldn't cover any more ground any quicker the way I hoped to.

I eventually made it home and got out of my soaking wet clothes. My body was numb and shaking uncontrollably until it slowly started to warm back up hours later. I couldn't even talk to explain what happened when I walked through the door, but I think it was pretty obvious without saying.

No telling what would have happened had I gone through further down stream farther from home. No telling what would have happened without all that "survival gear" strapped to my back that never came out of the pack. I finally warmed up and realized just what a close call I had. I also found a new respect for hard water even in familiar territory and NEVER take my proximity to home for granted any more, or as an excuse to get lazy and take chances while alone afield in the dangerous state of NY! 

Let's here some of your scary schtuff!

• Like 11

first hunt on my own for big game. new (no) moon. flashlight batteries completely died getting to the stand. had a fox alarmed and screaming while circling me probably within a chipshot with a bow. i didn't know what it was at the time.

went trout fishing years ago on a little bit of a stream near Osceola. I walked up the stream and was catching some trout.  Mustve lost track of time and distance as the sun started to get low I decided i had better head back.  Got a ways and then total darkness and not an ounce of moonlight.  Completely the cant see the hand in front of your face.  I either had to spend the night or try to follow the crick - well luckily this crick i know well and there isnt a spot over your waist.  I waded the creek back and put my hands out in front of me to break trail.  There was no going around anything only thru it cause I didnt want to get away from the creek.  I left my fish pole there and its still there to this day.  I got close to the road and knew there a was a beaver pond.  I waited by the beaver pond or where i thought it was until a vehicle finally went by on this back road and I took a direction.  I finally made it out about midnight.  I was about 18 at the time and it scared me a bit and i yelled "YES!" when i got to the truck. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

I think I was about 10 my dad and I were hunting caribou close to the valdez pipeline. We were on an atv, while on a ridge my dad spotted a grizzly about 300 yards away in a gully. The bear paid us no attention and we watched it for a bit, I remembered being scared even on the atv.  The same trip I fell in a campfire luckily my dad scooped me up quickly and I only burnt my coat.

Surfing in Hawaii I almost bit the dust twice, there is no feeling like the panic of running out of air. The sharks didn't bother me but big waves always got the blood pumping.

• Like 1

It is hard to get the proper perspective on the ravine behind our place, but I can only say that just over the edge of what you see in these pictures is vertical drop of about 200 feet straight down with  nothing but shale. This was where I learned about rubber boots and how fast your feet will go out from under you when you step on a slick stick just under the snow. The only thing that stopped me from going over the edge one day was a small spindly root of a small hemlock sapling. There are no ledges or anything else to stop a falling body until it smashes onto the rocks a couple hundred feet below.

Scary??....... You bet!

ravine03.JPG.c36bdee02ccc0448f4a043a0d4345355.JPGravine06.JPG.25b0915769a2acaf68f2995f061d3631.JPGravine05.JPG.c15dccac699dd75247c179b4c0267f6b.JPG

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I was lost in the woods 1 time nothing unsafe....Wooley thats some scary stuff glad it turned out ok....

Me too, worst case was a long walk back to my truck as Id have hit a road inside of a mile. My buddy got stranded on an island up in northern ontario in a snowstorm. He couldnt get his outboard started and it was blowing too hard to paddle. He flipped the boat over and lay under it until the next day. He said he resigned himself to freezing to death and even wrote letters to his kids. After that I made myself a small survival kit with matches, space blanket, etc

• Like 1

That really is scary Wooly.  Glad everything turned out OK!

Not as scary as wooly's experience, but while I was working for the Rocky Mountain Fur trading Company, we were attacked by native americans, forcing me and my crew to move down the grand river in SD.  Was then attacked by a Grizzly and left for dead.  But I made may way back to Fort Kiowa in adverse conditions to later chase Fitzgerald to Nebraska.  Quite an experience but all worked out in the end. 

Obviously living vicariously.  I once sank knee deep in muck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Oh I almost forgot to mention my little trip across the North Atlantic from Southamption to NYC.   Lets just say, the ship didn't make it, but years later, the heart of the ocean blue diamond was recovered.   Close call on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Opening day of Pike a few years ago my buddy and a friend tipped the boat over.  This was really cold water, pins and needles to the touch.  Lucky for them another boater found them and helped them get back in the boat and back to land.  Trolling motor got them back in reverse.  One guy was in the water up to his chest, lucky they both made it out ok.  Thanks to Frank and his brother Micky who save these two!  (Met Frank at the dealer I worked at and we fished Saranac Lake a few times together.)  Luck for them he was on the lake because I was in another area out of view and could not hear them screaming for help! 

Back in the early 90's I was on the Great South Bay and got stuck in the fog with only a pair of shorts and a towel.  We made it to the Coast Guard station and they told us to sleep overnight, we found a tug boat that helped us through the canal system to get back to the south shore of Long Island.  Once out of the canal the fog lifted.  Real long night with my buddy and our girl friends at the time.  We got back to the dock around midnight, cold and hungry!  GPS was not out at the time and we where inexperienced. 

I have been hit by more sailboats than I can remember!  For some reason they seem to target me when I am fishing.  I was off Eatons Neck by buoy 13 fishing the "triangle" when a 40ft sailboat along with 2 other 30 ft sailboats tried to turn close to my anchor well one caught it and dragged me the 20ft boat, my anchor and 4 fishing lines about 600 yards before I lost the anchor.  

Another boat hit me when the idiot captain had his 7 year old steering the boat!  Another 30 ft plus sailboat.  

Got stuck with dead batteries overnight at that same buoy 13 and even though I shot off every flare not one boat responded, this is about a mile in front of the coast guard station.  

FYI I hate sail boats!  And I wonder why I have not boated in salt water for a few years!   lol 

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Oh I almost forgot to mention my little trip across the North Atlantic from Southamption to NYC.   Lets just say, the ship didn't make it, but years later, the heart of the ocean blue diamond was recovered.   Close call on that.

I really feel like Jack could have fit on that door...

• Like 1

One time I as on stand and thought for a minute that I forgot my Girl Scout cookies. 

Honestly I never had a scary monument . Canoed all over North America from the Yukon to Ontario ,Hunted rattle snakes in the deserts of AZ at night 50 miles from the next town, to name a few adventure .

Ok here’s one. We were had hiked out of a canyon in AZ got to the car at dark, 60 miles of dirt road to the highway, we’re going 60, when the car misses a cow standing in the road by inches! No cell phones, no,other traffic on that “road”

• Like 1

I havent had many scary experiences in the woods, a couple, but Ive had a few on the water. I wold have to say the worst one was up at Lake George. I was running a 32ft Formula at around 70-75 mph and hit a couple of nasty waves at an odd angle, which threw me off balance and my arm hit the kill switches, which shot the bow right up as we hit the second wave. Almost flipped the boat, and scared the everliving out of me. Im no stranger to fast boats, Ive driven a couple of Cigarettes at well over 100, but that scared me to the point where I didnt enjoy going fast on the water for a couple of years. It still freaks me out a bit when I think about it.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not as scary as wooly's experience, but while I was working for the Rocky Mountain Fur trading Company, we were attacked by native americans, forcing me and my crew to move down the grand river in SD.  Was then attacked by a Grizzly and left for dead.  But I made may way back to Fort Kiowa in adverse conditions to later chase Fitzgerald to Nebraska.  Quite an experience but all worked out in the end. 

Growie's story about those killer labs she had to fight off makes your story sound like a walk in the park.

39 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

you should make a movie about that!  not the muck story so much.......... 

• Like 2

Years ago buddy had his Nitro bass boat up to 71 mph by Beaver Island state park. Water was glass. Until we hit a four foot wave made by the big paddle tour boat. ( disclaimer: not same friend who has Nitro that we fish with now ) I flew airborne and somehow landed back in my seat. Didn’t even spill my beer. Same friend took us below the Peace Bridge in same bass boat after we got pretty cranked up at The Pier   2 am in the morning. And yet again same guy had me on back of his snowmobile doing 100 or so through an open field. All good til we hit the barb  wire fence. Luckily it somehow went under the sled or we might not have had heads. Needless to say I didn’t frequent being passenger on anything he drove after those incidents. Ha , another one with same guy. They had a zip line set up in their backyard. Made numerous trips sailing across the Cayuga creek about 35-40’ up. I got there and first zip it broke with me falling straight into the creek bottom   Water is about 3 feet deep. I landed on the near side. Quickly got up and ran across the top of the water in shock. My jeans weren’t even wet above the ankles. So I in fact did run across the top of the water. Lol. Holy crud , I did some stupid crap when I was younger. Not sure these even scratch the surface. Never any scary experiences in hunting or actual fishing though. #luckytonotbeastatistic

• Like 1

When I was 16 I hooked up to the family boat told my parents we were going to my friends camp on Schroon lake for the weekend and headed west to Oswego. 3.5hrs away. First trip out by myself.

Got on the water well before daylight got halfway out of the harbor when my buddy told me his feet were getting wet. A little bit of scramble but got the boat up on plane and put the spare plug in from the inside when most of the water was out and ran the bilge for a bit and went fishing.

Sunday morning started the same were in the big lake before daylight and got into a school oh koho’s like I had never seen before. Noticed the clouds getting ugly and noticed the other boats were packing up and were talking about the storm on the radio. Told my buddy we were making one more pass and then hauling ass. Well before I knew it we were in the middle of a wicked thunder storm. I have no idea how big the waves were but they were way bigger than I should have been in with a 17ft boat, when we were in the troughs the waves were over my head standing up

We got the riggers up and got the dipseys in. The storm was in between us and shore so I headed north on the worst white knuckle ride of my life. I somehow managed to keep from taking on too much water and eventually we were able to head in. It was by far my scariest time on the water. I learned a whole bunch in a short time.

As soon as we got back home I spilled the beans to the old man and he wasn’t even mad, he could tell I was pretty shook up and figured any punishment wasn’t going to teach me more than I already learned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Mine was similar to buckmaster for fishing stories. I took my dad's boat out to fish for eyes in lake Erie one evening with a buddy. We made it out no prob from Rich marina down to the windmill area when the lake turned and all of the sudden the waves were high, the type that when you are in a roller you can't see anything on either side of you except water. I rode it out back towards buffalo taking hard hits here and there. Pulled into the buffalo harbor soaking wet and had the sherrifs ask if I was nuts 

I told him yes I am! Then headed back to Rich in the dark lol. 

Edited by BigVal
  • Like 2

Ok the most scared I have ever been!  Early 90's me and my best friend Shawn get ready for a trip to Long Lake with another group of hunters.  We start shopping for food around 10 pm and choose to head up after around 12am.  Bad decision!  After about 4 hours I start dozing, my buddy keeps slapping me to keep me awake along with playing Metallica as loud as the radio would allow.  Well I could not stay awake and fell asleep, so did Shawn!  So I wake up with the vibration of the left tire hitting the last of the rumble pads as we go off-road.  As I am realizing what is happening I see Shawn wake up at the same time!  (I forgot exactly which sign we missed but I think it was for Schroon Lake.)  All I could think was that if Shawn turns the steering wheel to stop us from going into the ditch we are going to flip the truck.  Well Shawn kept his composure and kept the steering wheel straight as we went down the embankment then right back up the other side then did the same thing all over to get back onto the highway.  We where still doing 65 mph when I checked as we got back onto the road, 2 min later we caught up to the other party, I said we NEED COFFEE and we pulled over at the next stop, I did not sleep at all until that night!  Adrenaline kept me up after that as I don't drink coffee.  That was scary!!!  

Ran into 6ft swells going around Eatons Neck one night and swamped the engine, that was a bit scary until the waves pushed us in to safer grounds.  Dried everything and was ok but for a few minutes it was crazy scary. 

Worst and really only is as a teenager a buddy and I decided to see if any steelhead have made the spring run yet. It was really early spring and there was still some ice out on the creek. Well knowing the creek so well we walked out on the ice because the water would only be a few inches deep where we wanted to stand. All was going well except we weren’t catching any fish.

We were apparently in a different spot than we thought because when the ice gave way we both went in up to our chest. I still have no idea how one, we both popped up out of the water in split second and two how my buddy managed to hang onto his fishing pole.

We sprinted home as fast as we could soaked from the chest down. I ran into the house and straight into the bathroom to shower and warm up. I remember being worried that my parents would yell at me for being stupid. They never found out. I got into the house and into the bathroom without them noticing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy and i were fishing in lake erie ,just killing time til it got dark out when a storm rolled through and turned that lake upside down ! I'm not a huge boat guy and it scared the crap out of me being out there in those waves. I remember when we rolled off a wave ,it was a wall of water completely around us . That fact that he didn't seemed too concerned was what kept me in check.