Deer DETERRENTS

crappyice

I have a nursery who needs help keeping deer away from the spring plants for sale. They put out a display for the coming warm weekend and the deer crushed it last night.

I thought I would try dosing the area with coyote piss. Any other suggestions to deter deer from eating nursery plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had that constant problem at many of the Disney Resorts when I was there. We tried a multitude of products / repellants... with varying degrees of success. One product (called Deer-Away) as I recall worked ok, but did not last very long outdoors. It smelled like rotten eggs. We even went over and got lion feces from Animal Kingdom. Didn't work worth a darn. We finally just set the irrigation to flash on every few minutes throughout the night. That, along with noise and visual scare methods helped a little. 

Interesting thoughts - thank you...swinging by home depot for coyote pee that they supposedly carry, CVS for Irish Spring, Woolys house for a Claymore (he’s probably got one, right?); and will pick up an ex-girlfriend who NEVER shut up(she’s the radio!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The biggest issue for this guys is that it’s ultimately his “showroom” for lack of a better term that is getting hammered.

Snooty customers love the smell of coyote piss and dealing with wire fencing!!!

The cost effective solution is dryer sheets refreshed periodically with a spray bottle. It's a proven deer deterrent in orchards, but the DEC does NOT allow them to use the sheets. Think the restriction has more to do with the respraying step that may but fabric softener onto the limbs and eventually absorbed into the fruit itself that's consumed by the public. Not sure if restriction only applies to fruit bearing trees/vines..!?!  It does work!

Anyone that lives in the suburbs or a rural area, knows a single electric fence wire ~10-12" off the ground will keep deer out of a garden. Royal PITA to keep weeds from grounding out fence wire. Can be an issue when a deer comes into contact with the elec fence, generally will pull the wire &/or stakes out of the ground, leaving it inoperable until you fix the mess.

Dog hair tied in a nylon stocking (panty hose) works for a while. Not sure if hair loses its' odor after a few rain storms or the deer finally realize there's no actual dog associated with that odor.

Edited by nyslowhand

I have  tried all kinds of home brew mixes, dog  hair, and animal  pee threw the years A waist of time. Deer Away and Repel work the best (but only good until it rains ) then you have to re apply them.And they are not cheap. Forget fences unless they are 10' at least, when I hunted the east end of L.I. I would see the deer go over the 8' fence around the old Grumman property with ease. I have watched young deer a few months old jump my 4' fences also.