DMP's for this season.

Larry

7 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Or there are just a stupid amount of deer here shagging away in limited access areas.

20180316_074858.jpg

that's often the problem in any area of the state.  we had a couple stop by our deer booth at a local fair.  they were interested in concepts of holding capacity and overpopulation. they said there seemed to be too many deer on their land and the neighbors aren't taking as much as they thought apparently. so i said there was a co-op near them they could join to get a better idea of the deer numbers in their area but what they see is what it is and relevant. they let out the truth. the husband was from long island and didn't want deer hunted on their property. they then asked a rhetorical question of allowing hunting would reduce the deer numbers right? i respectfully told them yes. lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

that's often the problem in any area of the state.  we had a couple stop by our deer booth at a local fair.  they were interested in concepts of holding capacity and overpopulation. they said there seemed to be too many deer on their land and the neighbors aren't taking as much as they thought apparently. so i said there was a co-op near them they could join to get a better idea of the deer numbers in their area but what they see is what it is and relevant. they let out the truth. the husband was from long island and didn't want deer hunted on their property. they then asked a rhetorical question of allowing hunting would reduce the deer numbers right? i respectfully told them yes. lol

Can't say I'm surprised.  It makes me laugh to hear the soccer moms and super busy dads all expecting someone else to "do something" about the problem, yet they won't lift a finger to be a part of the solution.  Lol

Man, if I can take up hunting in my 40's, then ANYBODY can! :haha:

in 4J i've sat in some of the most ridiculous spots that wouldn't normally be anywhere a deer would go.  they're ambush spots to catch small groups of deer swiftly heading toward pockets of small cover in accessible like behind housing developements. only thing is gives the deer is cover. no food or water, but they just wait it out and loiter unless bumped by activity in a backyard. one even offered to use his house a blind. another saw my orange and proceeded to tell their children i'd probably shoot them.  you just play by the rules and all is well.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:46 AM, grampy said:

Preference Points Required..............4-H     Same old song and dance.  

Would you guys mind answering a question for me?  So, I don't have an preference points.  I guess that means I can't get a 4-H (I have property there, but not enough).  Preference points are based on prior applications denied, correct?  If I want to be able to try again next year, should I apply for a DMP in 4-H, knowing I'll get denied?  Can you even do that?  Sorry if that's a dumb question, I haven't applied for a DMP before.  

Thanks for any help.

jm 

You can apply just to get the points. just remember just because you will get a point this year it does not mean you will get a DMP next year. It could take up to 3 or 4 points to get a DMP. One thing you will have to remember you only get a point on your 1st choice you can sill not get your 2nd choice.

9 hours ago, Larry said:

You can apply just to get the points. just remember just because you will get a point this year it does not mean you will get a DMP next year. It could take up to 3 or 4 points to get a DMP. One thing you will have to remember you only get a point on your 1st choice you can sill not get your 2nd choice.

if i know i'll have the time or need to fill them, i'll apply for area i live in which requires preference points and then second choice is usually a guarantee like a bow only area of WMU 4J. if i don't have the time to fill the guaranteed tag i won't apply.  i limit myself to one buck but that still leaves me with two tags for doe even without DMPs.

13 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

8H , they leave a bowl full on the counter, just come grab a handful .Sometimes they’ll even have a bowl of mints out as well ! 

6 dudes from 8H walk in to get tags for out here and they get handed just 1 to share that'd be a bummer.  it's unreal how many tags you guys get and fill out that way. i mean i lived and hunted out there but it's still hard to comprehend sometimes.

Thanks for the replies.  Still not clear on how it works, really.  So, in the chart below, for example, does that mean that you can't apply for a second choice DMP in, say, 3C?  So if you're applying to a WMU that requires a PP, and you don't have any PP's so you're doing that knowing you won't get it (but you'll get a PP for next year), and you then made your second choice 3C... you're guaranteed to get nuthin?  

WMU Area (mi2) DMP Target Target DMPs
per mi2
Average DMP
Success
Chances of DMP Selection
Residents Non-Residents
1st DMP 2nd DMP 1st DMP 2nd DMP
1C 903.3 Max. with Bonus DMPs   12.2% HIGH HIGH HIGH HIGH
3A 694.3 0 0.0   NONE NONE NONE NONE
3C 316.1 2,000 6.3 13.3% MED NONE NONE NONE
3F 331.7 5,500 16.6 8.9% HIGH MED HIGH NONE

Anyone willing to.have a northern Hunter take a doe  with a d mp if I get one? I only went down state twice and it's hard to find good areas. Once in Leroy outside of Batavia and once in Oneonta well lawerence. Well e educated Hunter and prior military. I kill deer up north but I'm the adirondacks isn't like what I see in here.anyone got to many does?

Typically BS in 4U.  225 total permits.  The area is overrun with deer. Most of the area is privately owned for weekend getaways by NYC residents, and most of the landowners are anti hunters resulting in large tracks of land that are off limits to hunting. I truly believe some anti hunting big wig cityit has pull in the DEC and is responsible for the lack of DMP tags.  

Medium/None for 8P.. which is crazy.. There are does all over. Yea we manage, but we arent the only ones that do. Not sure if they incorporate the amount of Amish owned land in with there "issue numbers" or what.. There obviously has to be more lower populated areas than higher pop.. 

Oh well, as long as we get 1 tag between my wife and I .. Ill be happy. 

15 hours ago, jmark said:

Thanks for the replies.  Still not clear on how it works, really.  So, in the chart below, for example, does that mean that you can't apply for a second choice DMP in, say, 3C?  So if you're applying to a WMU that requires a PP, and you don't have any PP's so you're doing that knowing you won't get it (but you'll get a PP for next year), and you then made your second choice 3C... you're guaranteed to get nuthin?  

WMU Area (mi2) DMP Target Target DMPs
per mi2
Average DMP
Success
Chances of DMP Selection
Residents Non-Residents
1st DMP 2nd DMP 1st DMP 2nd DMP
1C 903.3 Max. with Bonus DMPs   12.2% HIGH HIGH HIGH HIGH
3A 694.3 0 0.0   NONE NONE NONE NONE
3C 316.1 2,000 6.3 13.3% MED NONE NONE NONE
3F 331.7 5,500 16.6 8.9% HIGH MED HIGH NONE

It explains it right at the bottom of the page, keep scolling down

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the help, folks.  Now that I've done it, I see a little better how it all works.  I appreciate the patience and understanding.

FYI, both me and my son (14) applied in 4-H (where we have property), and did second choices, one in 4-B and one in 4-J.  Got both the seconds.  I did this literally at 12:01 a.m. last night (way past my bedtime, but worth it).  And we each got PP's from being denied the first choice.  Maybe next year we'll get one in 4-H.  

In the meantime, I went out to walk the dog last night right before doing this, and a very large and healthy looking doe walked right in front of the house, and stood there, not 50 feet from me, and just looked at me.  I just looked at her and said, outloud, "yeah, you can taunt me like that all you want now... but come fall, you're goin' down!"  She slowly sauntered off.  No doubt chuckling to herself, knowing what a bad shot I am.  

24 minutes ago, DanD said:

I'll never understand why 8T is PP REQ. The DEC says the number of deer in the WMU is low; however, my trail camera pictures (on public land) of groups of 4+ does tells a very different story.

This year in 8T it's low and none for first and second permits. No non-residents. I don't have it on my phone, but if I remember when I get home, I'll post up the pic my daughter took with up to 17 does in the field in front of her all day long on opening day of rifle last year. She's out of state, so she didn't have a permit, and I no longer had a landowner's to sign over to her.

I do believe that it varies within the area, but hard to take when you see so many.

Wherabouts roughly do you hunt in 8T?