So did you all hear prince Andy’s newest excuse

rob-c

7 hours ago, Bionic said:

I am selling everything when im 54.5 yrs old, so once I'm 55, i can drive off to Northen Maine until I am dead. I Can't stand NY for lots of reasons.  

I love northern Maine, but you better be prepared for cold, and isolation.  And cold.  

• Like 1

Just now, jmark said:

I love northern Maine, but you better be prepared for cold, and isolation.  And cold.  

I hate people, so I am off to a good start.  All kidding a side, even though that wasn't a joke, I like to be left alone with only the people I truly care about.  Crowds, and strangers give me anxiety, and I truly have issues with it.  The cold is what it is in my opinion, I work outdoors year round as it is, and once I am retired, I will set myself up accordingly,  it will be worth it to me.  I cannot explain how much at home I feel in Maine.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grampy said:

If every NY gun owner voted him out, King Andy would lose by a HUGE margin!  By not voting, it's almost like giving him an endorsement! 

Use your vote!  Make a difference!  Make a change! 

I make it a point to vote each and every time. If nothing else I believe it gives me a legitimate right to complain. I never use to but I have voted in every one for the last several and even make it a point to vote in the local ones to "try" and keep my taxes down.

It ain't workin but I am not giving up the fight.:scout:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

If I wasn't close to my elderly parents and my nearby family I would have left the state years ago. It's family that keeps me here. Having a glimpse of Seneca lake whenever I want doesn't hurt. :rolleyes:

I live in shack near the woods on two acres of land and pay about $1500 a year in property taxes. My best friend from high school owns a 40 acre horse farm in Lexington, Kentucky and pays about $800 a year in property taxes.

4 minutes ago, philoshop said:

If I wasn't close to my elderly parents and my nearby family I would have left the state years ago. It's family that keeps me here. Having a glimpse of Seneca lake whenever I want doesn't hurt. :rolleyes:

I live in shack near the woods on two acres of land and pay about $1500 a year in property taxes. My best friend from high school owns a 40 acre horse farm in Lexington, Kentucky and pays about $800 a year in property taxes.

I just got back from navada and one of the guys working at the airport ticket counter was from Rochester area he said he moved to navada  because of what coumo and  the clowns in nyc did to  upstate  .

He was telling me a 200 k house in  las vegas only pays 2k a year in property tax  and the houses  are double the size out there for half the money 

My kids are young but I already told my wife as soon as they are out of school I'm moving back south and she is welcome to come but either way I will not stay here once they are grown,the good schools is how she convinced me to leave FL and move here.  I actually like upstate/western ny but my taxes more than doubled moving here,Cuomo is too stupid to hold any office if he really believes the weather is why most people head south.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

I love NY. Never plan to leave. Got everything I want here. And everybody is not moving out of NY. Taxes suck but you'll find other things suck in other states too.

Lots are leaving...

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/local/2018/06/28/upstate-new-york-population-declining-census/721456002/

• Like 1

Many that leave do so  in retirement , they’re at the age where kids are grown and they’re no,longer working , the two things keeping most here . The second group is right out of college, and can’t find as good of jobs as elsewhere .

Those are  two ,groups who,hurt the economy the most by leaving .

Four of my wife’s close friends moved, another will soon, she’s about out of friends.... a few of my co workers and in one case one-off the  guys three adult kids all moved .

My nephew moved after college as he had trouble finding work with his two,degrees, industrial engineering and management ( this was years ago ), he just sold a small percentage of his business to one of his partners for seven million .

we’re not just losing, but losing the contributors.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rob... said:

NO! Ever look at his beer selections, his open bar would be Corona, Modelo, and Tecate.

I'm good with putting a campaign for grampy, but not Biz....Hell NO!

Don’t know about the beer at the party, but the women selection would be outstanding ! Count me in !

On 9/26/2018 at 10:30 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

We have a married daughter and grandchildren in Rochester and a married daughter with a grandchild in Delaware. Low property tax in DE (but high housing costs) and zero sales tax. So I've lost half that reason to stay. Why can't NY learn from these other low cost states? They seem to have it figured out.

My parents and sister both live in DE.  If not for my daughter here, I'd move back there tomorrow or just over the border in PA.  The best part of visiting family is stocking up at Cabela's and Costco, tax-free, before driving back behind the lines in NY!  

Cuomo isn't fooling anyone blaming the weather.  Every single retirement or college planning client I have worked with have all talked about kissing NY goodbye to save a mountain on taxes and to get away from all the political nonsense, especially the un-SAFE Act.  Just the property & school tax savings alone of 90% less in SC or TN nearly seals the deal for them.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

I've been hearing this people are leaving NY in droves forever yet overall NYS population remains the same for decades with increases in the five burroughs and surrounding areas. There's a major housing shortage in the 5Bs with real estate prices soaring. I'll still take my NY real estate over any other. 

Typical thinking ,you do realize the state is bigger then just your neighborhood? 

• Like 1

They’re two NY’s , NYC which grows in,part due to,immigration and NYS which shrinks each year . 

Personally when I think of” NY” it’s seldom NYC , to me a foreign distant place I have little interest in , and they feel the same about us .

this tells the story .

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/albany/2018/03/22/upstate-ny-has-population-problem/448880002/

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jdubs said:

The best part of visiting family is stocking up at Cabela's and Costco,

I stop at Cabelas every trip too. Our daughter is 20 mins from there.

10 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Every single retirement or college planning client I have worked with have all talked about kissing NY goodbye to save a mountain on taxes

If I am lucky enough to live 25 years after retirement, I calculate I'll save more than $400,000 on property taxes over that time, figuring the current rate plus just half of the historical annual increase. That's not an insignificant amount of dollars! And the better political climate, gun freedoms, and weather is the cherry on top.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Typical thinking ,you do realize the state is bigger then just your neighborhood?

He's right though, the statewide population is increasing over the last 5-10 years. But most of the people coming in pay little taxes, while a lot of the people leaving are big tax contributors. That's a problem for funding democratic initiatives. Like free college. Students coming in to the state aren't paying taxes. But all of us existing taxpayers have to shoulder the increased tax load.

IMG_2891.PNG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 6:01 AM, Rattler said:

That's true.  2 million millionaires leave NY and are replaced by 2.2 million welfare queens.  That's why NY state's total tax revue collections are down and it's total social expenses are up.

Millionaires live in NY for a reason. And they are not leaving. NY has more millionaires than the entire east coast combined. Hell in just Queens and Brooklyn alone people's real estate values have increased at record numbers. Many neighborhoods in NY have produced millionaires with just the value of the homes they live in. Take a look at real estate values anywhere in a 90 mile circle of Manhattan.

5 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

Millionaires live in NY for a reason. And they are not leaving. NY has more millionaires than the entire east coast combined. Hell in just Queens and Brooklyn alone people's real estate values have increased at record numbers. Many neighborhoods in NY have produced millionaires with just the value of the homes they live in. Take a look at real estate values anywhere in a 90 mile circle of Manhattan.

So?  NY has lots of them, but a lot of them are leaving.  Unless they need to stay there to keep making money they leave.  Real Estate values are way up, but so are the taxes they pay on that real estate.  Selling that million dollar home in Queens, buys you a bigger and newer home in the Carolinas for half the price and 1/4 the tax.  So you can put $500,000 in the bank and save money every year after that.  NY State is considered one of the worst, if not the worst state to retire in.