Camo

Buckmaster7600

6 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I've shot deer in blue jeans. Is camo needed, to me the answer is no. The proper paperwork in all seasons, along with orange in  firearm season for safety, that's needed. The deer don't give a hoot what your wearing, as long as it doesn't smell human.

Wear an all white jump suit during bow hunting and tell me camo doesn't matter.

• Like 1

When I'm turkey hunting, I wear full camo, including a bandit face mask. I don't bow hunt anymore, but during early rifle deer season, I wear a red, heavy wool  Woolrich shirt. When it gets colder, I break out the ole tried and true, red and black plaid Woolrich Pennsylvania tuxedo. Always topped with an orange and black camo vest. A deer's eyes do not perceive orange as we do, but blue jeans will get their attention.

Edited by eaglemountainman

I always do full camo except the last 4-5 sits I've had a dark blue flannel checked top on and I've had a ton of deer walk by including looking in my direction and they could not care less.

And honestly I've had a lot of deer walk all around me including down wind and very few indicate any interest in my smell at all. I do not put any effort whatsoever into limiting scent except for when I clean my hunting clothes (rarely), I use a scent free wash. I think I was winded by a deer that seemed extremely hesitant to come by--it knew something was up--but most simply do not care of those that walk by me (I realize it's possible far more deer avoided me entirely but I suspect not).

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

It's been my observation that if you dont move deer have a hard time seeing you  no matter what you have on .

And if you move especially fast movements they will see you no matter what you have on .

It's really uncanny. I had at least four deer somehow detect me a few weeks back around 30 yards away. I was in a tree stand with a perfect view to them and no foliage. Maybe I moved? Anyway, all four dead on looking straight at me. I simply stopped moving. A minute later they lost interest and proceeded to carry about as normal including walking even a bit closer as if I was not there at all.

it helps in my head.. my neighbor has killed more deer in bluejeans and a red flannel wool coat than i can count .. hes 82 .. and still kills them every year..  skylining yourself, movement, and just knowing a deer lives there 24/ 7 and will pick up things out of place are the reason your picked off more than anything imo

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Wear an all white jump suit during bow hunting and tell me camo doesn't matter.

never heard of skyline camo? white with limbs across it dissappear in treetops much better than the realtree and mossy oak dark forest floor pattern in a tree.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

never heard of skyline camo? white with limbs across it dissappear in treetops much better than the realtree and mossy oak dark forest floor pattern in a tree.. 

Sure ,you'll only spook every deer you come across on the way to tree. 

56 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

What about camo bed spreads and comforters?

My current lady-friend is a black chick. Not slightly cocoa-colored or cream- in- coffee- black. She closes her eyes and mouth and she disappears in a dark room. I don't hide from her for any reason. Her smile makes my day!

Full camo, I wear orange while moving during gun season.  I find I see alot of cool non-deer related stuff when sitting in full camo.  Owls, hawks, foxes, and most recently, ALOT of bear. I do agree that camo for deer isn't that essential, slow smooth movement does way more.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
Spelling

I wear head to toe camo...the same outfit I bought 13 years ago, and another I bought over 20 years ago. I don't buy a lot of extra camo, but will wear to give me every advantage I can get. If one gets wet, I switch to the other. As mentioned before, keeping movement to a minimum, plus seeing quarry before quarry sees you is key.

While doing chores walking around the farm in jeans and a sweatshirt, deer usually give me a casual glance, and go about thier business. When I wear camo and I'm walking in the same area, they usually don't hang around long?  Seen this too many times to be a coincidence. 

When I first started hunting, I wore whatever I was working in at the time. Had no camo. 

I do wear a mismatched array of camo now when I hunt though. Just to keep all my hunting clothes separate from work clothes.

I buy hunting clothes mostly by their quality and the way the perform and fit, through the years it has ended up being an assortment color wise of some camo, red plaid and a lot of solid green of various materials. On public land for big game where sure to run into other hunters I will wear some blaze orange and my red plaid stuff, my concern is making sure as much as possible of being seen by other hunters. At home on my own property I will wear camo on occasion. Never had a Deer spot me no matter what colored clothing I was wearing so long as I sit still and have the wind.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

While were on the subject of camo . How many times have you seen a nice jacket or camo pants so you reach for the price tag to see how much it cost and damn near choke when you see the price . 

last time at  cabelas  I looked at $600 Sitka pants, shrugged my shoulders after seeing price and walked away

I like an open camo pattern but more importantly I like hunting clothes that perform well.  Quiet, comfortable, weather appropriate.  I am willing to pay extra for these features and often that means a decent camo pattern.  Never understood why folks are willing to pay for high dollar bows and guns but not for the stuff that keeps you in the stand.  To each his own.  I spend a lot of hours hunting.  I want to be as comfortable and concealed as possible.  A few extra bucks in clothes are worth it to me.  

• Like 1

ASAT is the only camo I own that I feel makes much of a difference  , I wish it was easier to buy and came in better material.

I’ll often pair it with this 30 year old fleece top, had an ASAT long sleeev T, that I wore over my top layer but it wore out .

Now these aren’t good examples ( they lasted but are not pricey ) , but spending the money , for something that will last what 30 plus years ,seems an easy buy .

0BFB6D04-0A88-44CC-A309-EE015E440655.jpeg

C6DD5B3F-600F-42A3-87E0-A23CE2A26B4D.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

19 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

ASAT is the only camo I own that I feel makes much of a difference  , I wish it was easier to buy and came in better material.

I’ll often pair it with this 30 year old fleece top, had an ASAT long sleeev T, that I wore over my top layer but it wore out .

Now these aren’t good examples ( they lasted but are not pricey ) , but spending the money , for something that will last what 30 plus years ,seems an easy buy .

I think the tree bark camo worked the best.I do mismatch alot except when very cold then the Woolrich comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

asat looks like the early skyline before they started changing it to appeal to the human eye. now realtree owns it and their new camo is an old skyline pattern