Dom

Im currently looking at the handi rifle,henry and cva single shots for my daughter.  Henry is by far the most price wise just havent been able to get my hands on one to look it over. i found the cva with a synthetic stock for 249 drilled and tapped brand new.  And the handi rifle ive seen from 250-350 with the wood stock.  I prefer the handi i have one in 30-06 and it shoots great.

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Forget the 243 and grab a Savage Axis in 7-08. My 14 year old daughter has one, its pretty much the perfect rifle for her. No need for low recoil rounds, she runs Hornady 139 gr through it with zero recoil issues, and shes not a big girl.

Agreed

• Like 3

I'm trying hard not to purchase the .243 from Henry in lever action.This is a gift for my nephew not myself.We have shotgun only area and he has permission to hunt rifle area and think a rifle would work best for him.I do not see for over gunning the kid.I have only hunted with 30.30 and a 2.70 win just not sure yet what to give get Him

I'll say one more thing about the Savage rifles that I've had experience with: They tend to shoot anything you feed them and do it pretty well, in general. If you somehow forget your handloads on a hunting trip, they'll shoot factory ammo from the local hardware store just fine once sighted in. I've dealt with a lot of fussy guns that won't do that.

• Like 2

I'm trying hard not to purchase the .243 from Henry in lever action.This is a gift for my nephew not myself.We have shotgun only area and he has permission to hunt rifle area and think a rifle would work best for him.I do not see for over gunning the kid.I have only hunted with 30.30 and a 2.70 win just not sure yet what to give get Him

A marlin 336 30/30 would be a great choice or if you want a 243 i love my rem 700 in 243

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Leupold VX 3i  2.5 - 8 x 36 on my Kimber Hunter .22LR.  

It fits the rifle well, has great image quality and seems to be the best variable magnification for the ranges the rifle is used for.  The rifle is a one hole shooter at 50 yards with the Eley Match ammo.  I shoot Ritz crackers at 100 yards with it.  No target junk to pick up and feeds the birds at the same time.

:D

• Like 3

On 12/23/2018 at 8:53 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

I’m looking to buy the Ruger American or Savage Axis 2 in 7mm-08  For daughter and i to share   Already just bought a Leupold V3 2.5x8 x 36mm 

Sell the junk glass from the "package" on E-bay. I think I got about $70 for the one on my son's friend's Axis II.

Take it off before you shoot the gun and you can legally/morally sell as "new other".

Axis II is technically a long action with a short magazine. You might want to opt for the VX3i 3.5-10 x 40  for a better "fit". VX 2 3-9 x 40 is a nice size for the action.

XEekYTg.jpg

There are no extended front bases that I am aware of and you might not be able to get the shorter 2.5-8 back far enough for proper eye relief. . Extension rings might be an option though. 

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1