Hunting gear and Permethrin

crappyice

We are getting closer and closer to kickoff so curious as to when people start treating their hunting gear with Permethrin?

Is it “too early” so it will be worn off?

Do you re-treat during the season?

How often do you wash your hunting clothes? Do you use scent less detergents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I treat with permethrin the weekend before opening day typically. I launder clothes after every use generally and re-treat with permethrin every 2 weeks or 2 washes, whichever comes first. I tend to slack off on the treatment as the season wears on and temps get colder.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I treat not long before and let them air dry on my porch.

I do not treat again because season starts on Oct 1. Within a few weeks we've had the occasional sub-zero temp and I know that doesn't kill ticks but it definitely slows them down. I just don't do it again personally.

Any clothes I wash I go on a gentle cycle.

Edited by Core

Treat it a day or two before opening day and let it dry. I only ever treat my clothes if im going to be hunting Long Island since I don't usually pick up many ticks upstate for some reason
Could prove a fatal flaw

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I wash clothes in scent free detergent and usually try to spray my clothes a few days before the season starts.  (Usually 2 days before.)  If the temps are not below freezing when I come back from the Adirondack trip I will respray again, usually this is mid November.  (Did that last 2 seasons.)  That is usually the last time I spray unless January becomes really warm, never happened yet.  

I also spray my clothes bag, back pack and just about every piece of clothing I wear including base layers, making sure to get the gloves, socks, boots and really douse the openings around the neck arms and legs, rain gear. 

I would never enter Long Island woods without this protection!  If you find this protection now buy extra for later in the season, typically the stores do not keep this in stock late season.  I use 2 big bottles to cover everything the first spray and grab 2 more for the 2nd treatment in November. 

permethrin-insect-repellant-treatment-for-clothing.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

I wash clothes in scent free detergent and usually try to spray my clothes a few days before the season starts.  (Usually 2 days before.)  If the temps are not below freezing when I come back from the Adirondack trip I will respray again, usually this is mid November.  (Did that last 2 seasons.)  That is usually the last time I spray unless January becomes really warm, never happened yet.  

I also spray my clothes bag, back pack and just about every piece of clothing I wear including base layers, making sure to get the gloves, socks, boots and really douse the openings around the neck arms and legs, rain gear. 

I would never enter Long Island woods without this protection!  If you find this protection now buy extra for later in the season, typically the stores do not keep this in stock late season.  I use 2 big bottles to cover everything the first spray and grab 2 more for the 2nd treatment in November. 

permethrin-insect-repellant-treatment-for-clothing.jpg

I also go very heavy on gloves and around the bottom of pants for example. I use the same stuff. It's quite expensive. There is a concentrate option I have not bothered with lest I mess the mix up or something.

• Like 2

I had never heard of treating ...at least, deer hunting clothes, with permethrin. Verboten. Nothing goes on mine. If needed with soiled clothes, i may run them through the dishwasher (after running an extra rinse cycle ) with baking soda, or a mild detergent, scentless, made for hunting clothes. More likely if needed, I will put them on a clothes line to get rained on, and air dried. I like to pack them in a container with some local brush...pine cones, etc. from my area in my case. But I would never treat my clothes. Bugs be damned. Usually by the time I am out there has been a couple frosts anyway to thin out the chiggers, anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I had never heard of treating ...at least, deer hunting clothes, with permethrin. Verboten. Nothing goes on mine. If needed with soiled clothes, i may run them through the dishwasher (after running an extra rinse cycle ) with baking soda, or a mild detergent, scentless, made for hunting clothes. More likely if needed, I will put them on a clothes line to get rained on, and air dried. I like to pack them in a container with some local brush...pine cones, etc. from my area in my case. But I would never treat my clothes. Bugs be damned. Usually by the time I am out there has been a couple frosts anyway to thin out the chiggers, anyway. 

You wash your clothes in the dishwasher ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Here on Long Island we’ve never really heard of not treating. I understand each region is a bit different but it’s nearly impossible to hunt here without Sawyers.  We don’t typically get the early frost like they do upstate so we have no choice. If I put branches in with my clothes with my luck I’d be dropping chiggers in there lol. As far as using local brush as a cover scent, that’s all great but if you have a bad wind it don’t matter what you have they’ll pick ya

31 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

A couple of frosts does not seem to make a difference to the ticks where I hunt in Rennselaer county. Before treating with Sawyer's it was not uncommon to be picking ticks off in gun season. Get a warm sunny day above freezing and they come back out. Not worth not treating and getting lyme. 

• Like 1

I have never done this before, now feel like a complete bonehead for not thinking of it. I'm going to pick up some Sawyer spray and start using it. With all of the work we have been doing on the new lease these last few weeks, we haven't had any ticks on us. We've been lucky I guess.

• Like 1

I have found a rare tick on me in my yard, but for all the time I spend in the woods at my camp never there. That is up on the Tug, (well for that matter so is my house, but fifty miles further north), where we do get considerable sub zero temps, as well as sometimes early snow, later October, and late snow. I wonder what affect that makes. Or maybe I just taste rotten ?

When I hunted down in Georgia once, I was horrified by the mass of vermin you could accumulate. I certainly understood why they bug juiced up.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, The Jerkman said:

Could prove a fatal flaw

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Based on my exprience Its not 100 percent necessary for the spots I hunt. Id rather limit my use of permethrin since it is a neurotoxin after all, but I will use it during turkey season and for hunting on Long Island

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MPHunter said:

A couple of frosts does not seem to make a difference to the ticks where I hunt in Rennselaer county. Before treating with Sawyer's it was not uncommon to be picking ticks off in gun season. Get a warm sunny day above freezing and they come back out. Not worth not treating and getting lyme. 

are you ground pounding or treestand hunting though?