fasteddie

Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

I’ll have to devise a plan that doesn’t include my 12ga 3 1/2 turkey load, he will break his shoulder.

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

10 minutes ago, Zag said:

I’ll have to devise a plan that doesn’t include my 12ga 3 1/2 turkey load, he will break his shoulder.

If he is big enough to physically handle your 12 gauge, you could have him shoot it with lighter loads..A full choke 12 gauge with standard 2 3/4  inch shells and 1 1/4 oz. loads of 6 or 7 1/2  shot will absolutely STONE  a turkey at 30-40 yards with most full choked guns..Back before 3" mags became common, high velocity 6s or 7 1/2s were considered state of the art for turkey hunting....

Most 20 gauge guns  with a mod or full choke will do the job at 30-35 yards...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Zag said:

He already took the gun course, can I get his license on line do you know?

You can not sue how fast they will process or get in mail,but best bet is wallmart if open near you. ,possibly town hall if they sell licences

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

25 minutes ago, Zag said:

He already took the gun course, can I get his license on line do you know?

it took about a week and a half to get mine online.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

If he is big enough to physically handle your 12 gauge, you could have him shoot it with lighter loads..A full choke 12 gauge with standard 2 3/4  inch shells and 1 1/4 oz. loads of 6 or 7 1/2  shot will absolutely STONE  a turkey at 30-40 yards with most full choked guns..Back before 3" mags became common, high velocity 6s or 7 1/2s were considered state of the art for turkey hunting....

Most 20 gauge guns  with a mod or full choke will do the job at 30-35 yards...

I shot some #6 pheasant loads from my 12 gauge with the TSS choke when we patterned the guns on Saturday. At 35 yards you wouldn't know the difference to be honest and it felt SO much better on the shoulder.

• Like 3

I killed 75 percent of my turkeys with 2 3/4 inch high velocity #4 loads before I was compelled to buy “turkey” loads. Flattened them Plenty

• Like 3

Zag- I had to get my son a license last week after he completed the course on line.  The only options I found locally were Walmart and the Town Clerk.

I gave a call to our Town Clerk who was very helpful and I didn't need to bring him into the Department store.  

I wouldn't worry about the heavy loads for a kid.  Have them shoot something he or she is comfortable with, and just " adjust" your range.  A 20'gauge with a # 4 game load makes them just as dead at an appropriate range and the kid is much less likely to flinch.

Edited by Billyb6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Have you ever listened to the spring woods wake up ? Most amazing experience every single time. In all this crappy covid crap It felt it even better this morning to see daybreak and simply listen. 

Some people just don't get it. I think it is the best place to be .

• Like 2

Just pulled a cam, got some great pics

STC_0839.JPG

STC_0856.JPG

STC_0858.JPG

STC_0946.JPG

STC_0948.JPG

STC_0975.JPG

STC_0866.JPG

• Like 7

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Just pulled a cam, got some great pics

STC_0839.JPG

STC_0856.JPG

STC_0858.JPG

STC_0946.JPG

STC_0948.JPG

STC_0975.JPG

STC_0866.JPG

Bearded hen, cool!

• Like 1

Hunt when I can.. ;)

Just bought another New Jersey Turkey Permit that is good from May 4th to May 8th. And, I have my D Permit which runs from May 11th to May 22nd.     I might Hunt NY one day and NJ the next time out.      Should be an Awesome Spring for everyone. Can't wait to see all the upcoming Pics from members.

• Like 4

Just bought another New Jersey Turkey Permit that is good from May 4th to May 8th. And, I have my D Permit which runs from May 11th to May 22nd.     I might Hunt NY one day and NJ the next time out.      Should be an Awesome Spring for everyone. Can't wait to see all the upcoming Pics from members.

10-Tom year for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Out to listen this morning.  First gobble at 5:28

I can see what tree he's in. My job here is done so I'm heading back to my house

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

10-Tom year for you!

HA!- Just happy to be out.  I do have 4 Turkey Permits and 1 Jake already.  It has been Humbling since 2015 . Birds are are harder to come by and Many more Spring Hunters in the woods along with the Coyote Explosion.  Last few Springs especially, I am seeing alot more Turkeys.    Hope, I can call a Big Ol Boy for Cynthia Friday and ,then, I will try for one later.

It’s going to be raining for the next two days with thunderstorms Friday. Do you think it’s better to hunt Saturday or Sunday? Might even do both to be honest lol

• Like 1

I'm going out Friday regardless of weather.  Looking at the forecast though the rain should be done by 530am.  I have a place picked out just hope to be the first person there.

• Like 2

Saying the winds are 12 to 15mph this am, more like 25 to 40..  went out headed back in..wind is howling!

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

I'm heading out regardless of weather.  If very windy, I'll hunt a pinch point field edge.   

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Saying the winds are 12 to 15mph this am, more like 25 to 40..  went out headed back in..wind is howling!

I had dreams of a tornado last night, wind was moving!

It’s going to be raining for the next two days with thunderstorms Friday. Do you think it’s better to hunt Saturday or Sunday? Might even do both to be honest lol

I was planning to hunt tomorrow but now maybe Saturday instead?

Took a practice shot this morning. Gun is good to go!

20200430_075100.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, E J said:

Took a practice shot this morning. Gun is good to go!

20200430_075100.jpg

Looks good!