LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

29 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Waiting until Thursday to go out with the ML . Let the deer calm down . 

I hope 4 days is enough . I watched deer run a half a mile cresting a hill in a green field , and knowing that there’s well over another half mile before any cover , after one guy walked through some brush . Not sure these deer will be relaxed in a few days .

Finally moved into the new house last Wed and am settled enough that I can spare a couple hours to hunt. First time EVER that I can walk out my back door and hunt!! Been looking forward to this day for the last 40 YEARS!! I put up a stand ~150 yards behind the house, so if I see anything or not,it’ll be a good day to be in the woods! Might not be able to wipe the smile off my face at the end of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 26

I’m set up for opening day of ML season in our logged woods (was cut last winter/spring). Had a fisher cat come right under me a little bit ago, which was pretty cool, I’ve never seen one in the woods. 

*Fisher isn’t in the photo. 

CE54D2B6-E630-41AB-8642-ACD7099EFF1C.jpeg

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 2

I was up and said  where am I going to go . So I went back to bed lol. Now I am up an I am like where am I going to go . I do have a sterling forest permit but I have never been there yet and I am not sure where to go there . Going to have to wait and explore that with Bill this summer . So I am back at where am I going to go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

Kudos to you and Nomad because not once did you guys complain about how bad your season was.  Your positive attitude speaks volumes:) May next year bring you guys success:) 

Thank you! But like Nomad, I had my chances too. We had two giant bucks on the farm this year. Bucks like these, are seldom seen in our area.  And I made the decision to hunt, and hold out for only them. I have been wanting to do something like this for the last few years. But always, when the first decent buck showed up, I could not pass on him. This year I passed up in both bow and gun season, bucks I normally would have shot. And had a close encounter during bow, with what would have easily been my biggest bow buck ever! 

I gave hunting those old monarchs all I had, and would not change a thing! They certainly humbled me!! And in a certain way, I'm almost glad they won. As I edge very close to my 50th hunting season, hunting those bucks reignited a spark in me, that I thought had burned out. 

This year I lived my motto of "Shoot what you like. Like what you shoot". Without firing a shot.

• Like 13

I took  the sleep in route this morn. I will get out a few mornings this week. I am really hoping we get a few inches of snow with that possible storm mid week. I've been hunting with the ML for a couple weeks now. Took that doe a couple of weeks ago with the Triumph. Would like to get one with the CVA.

• Like 2

I took  the sleep in route this morn. I will get out a few mornings this week. I am really hoping we get a few inches of snow with that possible storm mid week. I've been hunting with the ML for a couple weeks now. Took that doe a couple of weeks ago with the Triumph. Would like to get one with the CVA.

Celebrating your victory late into the night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Back in the trenches in the morning 

B8DF2625-7048-4703-90EA-723A64447570.jpeg

It's funny in a way, some Karen probably wants that thing banned because it's black and scary and some purist probably wants it banned because "that's not a muzzleloader". Funny how these things have progressed.

Good luck TF!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

It's funny in a way, some Karen probably wants that thing banned because it's black and scary and some purist probably wants it banned because "that's not a muzzleloader". Funny how these things have progressed.

Good luck TF!

i actually want you banned just for bringing it up.   lol 

3 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Finally moved into the new house last Wed and am settled enough that I can spare a couple hours to hunt. First time EVER that I can walk out my back door and hunt!! Been looking forward to this day for the last 40 YEARS!! I put up a stand ~150 yards behind the house, so if I see anything or not,it’ll be a good day to be in the woods! Might not be able to wipe the smile off my face at the end of the day!

Congrats ! I’m envious, for thirty some years ,I’ve walked out to my truck , knowing that those hunting around me are already home ,and I’ve got a forty minute drive to go , and back again in 12 hours .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Waiting until Thursday to go out with the ML . Let the deer calm down . 

10 hours ago, Nomad said:

I hope 4 days is enough . I watched deer run a half a mile cresting a hill in a green field , and knowing that there’s well over another half mile before any cover , after one guy walked through some brush . Not sure these deer will be relaxed in a few days .

There was a time that not many bowhunted, I think that's changed for sure. Now you can buy a decent MZ for like $300 via the mail, no FFL needed. I think more and more guys are out there every year. About 10 years ago I recall a few snowy days during smoke pole where the deer seemed to be back to October patterns. 

I guess we shall see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Congrats man. I had that once and it was amazing. At the very least you can get some scouting in even if you don't see any deer. 

I also have to smile knowing you aren't fully moved in and settled but have a stand up hahahaah

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Some SOB reloads super fast. 4 shots in 2 seconds.  I gotta up my reloading muzzleloader game.  

Surprising the number of people that think rifle ends on a tuesday... hasnt in years but no one reads regs.. waiting to hear shots after christmas with the holiday hunt fiasco they started...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, chrisw said:

How did you manage to find the slug!?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I got very lucky...I was inspecting the area where I “hit” the deer ...I followed his tracks for about 20 yards and saw some disturbed soil on the side of a hill...I lined the hole up with where I was standing when I made the shot and where I found hair, did some digging and found the slug buried deep in the ground.  Trying to make light of missing this buck, I told my wife “at least I saved us $500 for a mount”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic