LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Hoping to change my luck by going to the thick , cooler hemlocks. First time for this blind. Lots of buck sign surrounding this woodlot, so lets see what happens?20201108_150309.thumb.jpg.af8fc4e8670b0e9deee64ef974e3a1e1.jpg

Another swing and a miss. No deer seen. Back out again in the morning.

A hearty congratulations to all you guys that got it done today! 

Awesome!!!

• Like 3

Thank you!  Yeah, low deer density in this area.  Not an excuse, but obviously I can always improve.  I have passed up bucks I probably shouldn’t have, and don’t shoot does here, plus it’s difficult to get doe tags in this zone even if I wanted too.  I find it special since its home, just means more to me taking a nice buck at home, versus my work spot.  It just goes deeper to me than just hunting.  Hope that makes sense.

[mention=762]Chef[/mention]

I can attest to this, I hunted the other side of the county for years. My zone was tough but Bio’s is ever harder. You are lucky to get a doe tag once every 4 years, I will say the AR’s have been working and it will get better already has in 3h

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Back in for the afternoon sit. My oldest daughter didn’t want to come out with me so I ended up having my wife with me instead! Her first ever sit in a tree stand. 2020 is a wild ride folks!

For a non hunter and first time in the deer woods in a tree stand she did great. We sat, talked and relaxed. Those dang squirrels kept tricking her though! In the end we saw one lone deer making its way 100 yards past us a few min before sunset.

• Like 7

Got it done this morning with a decent 6 point. Had a bad initial shot and spined him. Dropped hard and couldn’t use rear legs. Had to climb down and put another one in him. Think I dropped my bow arm rather than bending at the waist. He came in hard on the tail of a doe and it happened so fast. Terrible I had a bad shot but glad I was able to quickly end it and put some meat in the freezer. 11deb414e35d49351678033d1e3c0a6b.jpg

• Like 43

Got it done this morning with a decent 6 point. Had a bad initial shot and spined him. Dropped hard and couldn’t use rear legs. Had to climb down and put another one in him. Think I dropped my bow arm rather than bending at the waist. He came in hard on the tail of a doe and it happened so fast. Terrible I had a bad shot but glad I was able to quickly end it and put some meat in the freezer. 11deb414e35d49351678033d1e3c0a6b.jpg

• Like 3

4L - Sat for the first 2.5 hours before family obligations kicked in. Picked a spot down in some hemlocks, just off a marsh edge. 2 does and a fawn came in on a path 10 yards from my stand right at sunrise. I let them pass hoping a buck would follow them in.

The lead doe caught my ground scent, and the 3 of them hung out trying to figure out where that scent lead to. They saw me (something unknown to them) in the stand, and hung around for 30 mins trying to figure out the scene. The fawn and the middle deer walked right up to the base of the tree and sniffed around. I think they caught the smell of the field dress from Tuesday’s doe, and may have been the same family unit. They were incredibly curious. This morning’s spot is about 80 yards from the kill site.

Eventually they gave up and wandered off into the marsh to bed, and that was the last of the deer for the morning. I could have burned a doe tag, but was more interested in what they could teach today.

Ended up seeing those three, a Red Fox soon after, then a Barred Owl, and then a flock of turkeys walking the oak edge outside the hemlocks.

I learned a lot watching those three deer work together, and reacting to one another. While it wasn’t what I had hoped for when I geared up, I certainly learned more today.

Congrats to all those who connected on some great warm weather deer today (and over the past few)!

Heading up to 4H tomorrow mid-day, maybe head into Partridge Run for a spot off bedding, or meet up with a buddy and hunt the evening.

Good luck and safe afield!

• Like 4

Great sir so far this morning at 7:45 6 or so doe came through, seems like something was dogging them... 2 stoped at 20 let them walk. 20 min later 2 doe came in getting trialed by a 4pt... grunted him in for fun but let him walk. He came to within 6 yards and I’m only 8ft up or so very cool... still smells like deer in here

b7e3e11027fa10feb5cf89537529b868.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Chef said:

Great sir so far this morning at 7:45 6 or so doe came through, seems like something was dogging them... 2 stoped at 20 let them walk. 20 min later 2 doe came in getting trialed by a 4pt... grunted him in for fun but let him walk. He came to within 6 yards and I’m only 8ft up or so very cool... still smells like deer in here

b7e3e11027fa10feb5cf89537529b868.jpg

My 8 point i shot sat, I could smell as I was tracking the blood, and his carcass was downwind. Every leaf he ran over stunk.

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 8:09 AM, wolc123 said:

If you and the deer are both standing on the ground, at the same level, do you think you can pass an arrow above the lungs, but under the spine ?

I dont think there is room to do that.  I do know of at least one 3.5 year old buck that surely had more than 3 inches of meat over his spine, having personally removed the holed chop and tossing it into the garbage.

That is plenty of room to pass an arrow thru with a lot more than a haircut.  The thought went thru my mind last November 2, that was where my arrow passed.  Fortunately, it was about 6 inches lower, right on target. I am hoping that Don's was also and he gets a quick recovery.  All I can do from here is pray and I did.

No deer activity yet this morning so plenty of time to argue.  The leaves are very dry and crunchy so nothing is going to sneak past my radar (ears).

we are saying the same thing. There is a dead zone above lungs and below spine yes. You had orginally stated "above" spine, which I had thought meant that  a standing deer could be hit above the spine where there is 4" of fat/meat, when in fact the spine is basically touching the hide of the deer and no room for anything than a hair cut if missed high.

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic