LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

10 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I’ve got a few of those noisy critters around me. Also just got done watching a Pileated woodpecker work a tree over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first grey just came out to visit me.  If he or another hangs around till lunch time, I may just send a bolt.  I have one old one with a 125 gr fixed broadhead on it, to use as finisher if necessary.  I am sighted in with 100 grain mechanicals.  If he gives me a shot, I will hold about 1" high with my 20 yard crosshair.

Shot an 8 pointer, deflected on a twig but got him pretty good.  Gave it an hour, and slowly went directly to where he flopped over.  As I slowly approach he was GONE.  So i turn around, and boom there he is bedded, scared the heck out of me, I was whispering to jenn on phone, so i drop phone, and picked up crossbow, and he took off.  I was pretty hard on myself, and badmouthed myself like nothing else.  So, I turned back to walk home to give it 5-6 hrs.  As I am walking back, maybe 10 steps in hes bedded 10 yards, so i got him again, now he is done.  I stayed put and watched him die another 30 yards away.  It is really bothering me what I put him through but I am glad he is passed on now.  

• Like 33

5 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Shot an 8 pointer, deflected on a twig but got him pretty good.  Gave it an hour, and slowly went directly to where he flopped over.  As I slowly approach he was GONE.  So i turn around, and boom there he is bedded, scared the heck out of me, I was whispering to jenn on phone, so i drop phone, and picked up crossbow, and he took off.  I was pretty hard on myself, and badmouthed myself like nothing else.  So, I turned back to walk home to give it 5-6 hrs.  As I am walking back, maybe 10 steps in hes bedded 10 yards, so i got him again, now he is done.  I stayed put and watched him die another 30 yards away.  It is really bothering me what I put him through but I am glad he is passed on now.  

Yyyyyyyyyeeeeesssss!!!!!!!!!you followed through and made sure you put him down for good.pics pics pics!!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bionic said:

It is not always neat and clean like they show in the movies but it sounds like you took care of business about as good as possible.  Congrats on breaking in the new blind.

I always make sure I reload and am ready to fire before approaching a downed deer.  I will take my safety off and touch the eyeball with my muzzle, or a stick.  If there is no flinch, it is time to break out the knife.  

My god father learned that lesson the hard way, standing with knife drawn and gun leaning against a tree as he watched the biggest buck he ever saw disappear forever.  Just because they are down, dont mean they are out.  That said though, I have yet to have one flinch.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It is not always neat and clean like they show in the movies but it sounds like you took care of business about as good as possible.  Congrats on breaking in the new blind.

I always make sure I reload and am ready to fire before approaching a downed deer.  I will take my safety off and touch the eyeball with my muzzle, or a stick.  If there is no flinch, it is time to break out the knife.  

My god father learned that lesson the hard way, standing with knife drawn and gun leaning against a tree as he watched the biggest buck he ever saw disappear forever.  Just because they are down, dont mean they are out.  That said though, I have yet to have one flinch.

This one got up after ten minutes and walked off with two does .

A328C557-8508-4F01-A23E-B88599114E72.jpeg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Pic!  Grats!

• Like 1

Congrats to all that scored yesterday and today! Some beautiful deer taken! Sadly, It looks like I'm going to be watching from the sidelines for the next 14 days unless I get a negative test result. Won't get the results until at least Wed. I started getting sick on Friday and woke up with a fever yesterday, went and got a covid test last night. If positive I'm out till the gun opener! Boy, I sure hope Biden comes through with his promise to eliminate this coronavirus crap!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Congrats to all that scored yesterday and today! Some beautiful deer taken! Sadly, It looks like I'm going to be watching from the sidelines for the next 14 days unless I get a negative test result. Won't get the results until at least Wed. I started getting sick on Friday and woke up with a fever yesterday, went and got a covid test last night. If positive I'm out till the gun opener! Boy, I sure hope Biden comes through with his promise to eliminate this coronavirus crap!

Good luck Tim. But I can't think of a better place to quarantine than a treestand by yourself during the rut

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Don't be tk hard on yourself. It happens and you did everything possible to make it right and you got it done. Congrats 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Awesome congrats!!!!!!!!!!!  Nothing is perfect you did alright my man! 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what time the deer are coming out to play today?

7 30 am for me in 8g.... It was one of those big does too. Plain and simple.... Put the wrong pin on her at 18 yds and went right over her. I'm so bummed. I did the exact same thing last season too. She got into my head

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bio... You got it done! Congratulations and enjoy those backstraps! Don't even be hard on yourself, shit happens. Ask me, I know. I messed up a chip shot this morning and I'm really kicking myself for not being able to think clear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am pulling the plug on the morning hunt.  The squirrels have been moving good for a while now, but no deer in the woods.  Dad just drove back in his side by side and said mom has lunch ready. 

They watched a deer feed for a half hour or so, starting at 7:15, in the clover at the edge of the woods.  He could not tell if it was a buck.  I will be on my stand on that side for the afternoon hunt.

Noon today marks the midpoint of my crossbow season this year, so all it will take now to earn my archery antered tag is a single 3 inch spike.  Come on unicorn !

Way to go!! Congrats man I knew it was happening for you this year!

• Thanks 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic