LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

11 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

SENT IT !

Hit the hills of Franklinville tonight for a quick pm sit. On stand at 3. Tag punched at 345. Loooong drag down the hill has me ready for bed. Good to get the monkey off my back and a buck in the truck !!!! Beyond thankful for the blessing !!

a97e1441b4b4d2fc6a0ff295c783accc.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

You deserve that!  What a beauty for sure... I'm ecstatic that you and Jay both shot nice bucks!

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Just curious- do you know what your buck weighed? 52 seems light unless your buck was way lighter than it looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This probably isn't as accurate as the chest girth method but my buck weighed 129 lbs. dressed and I got back 40 lbs. of meat. I just use it as a guide and figure there is probably about 15% that is lost in the processing that may have been saved if I had done it myself.

ny deer weight chart.jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

SENT IT !

Hit the hills of Franklinville tonight for a quick pm sit. On stand at 3. Tag punched at 345. Loooong drag down the hill has me ready for bed. Good to get the monkey off my back and a buck in the truck !!!! Beyond thankful for the blessing !!

a97e1441b4b4d2fc6a0ff295c783accc.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Nice looking buck! Congrats!

• Like 2

The deer were enjoying the first real night of snow. As I said prior tracks all over out back. One almost came up to the back door of the house. I also had fox tracks all over. I pulled just the backyard cam and had deer at 8:26pm, 1:42am, 3:05am and 3:42 am. Moving all night. This morning was expectedly a dud!

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Deer are teasing me now.  Just got home from work and theres fresh deer tracks in my lawn.  One has a decent track. Wife said I cant go through the neighborhood tracking them so off to bed I go.

Funny, my mother in law keeps complaining about deer in her garden and I saw a 4pt I would have gladly taken this season in her yard. Of course it's a no go in... As she likes to say "too many city folk clogging up my roads" :dontknow:

My Good Buddy Mort is arriving at 2:00..We'll be in my tower from 2:30 until dark...

Season is getting short, and I don't have any meat, so I'm ready to drop the hammer on a decent doe or one of the smaller bucks I have been seeing on almost a daily basis.. Today would be a good day to do it, since I'll have Mort there to help me load one in the truck..

• Like 8

3S - making my post covid return to the woods shortly. Bow hunting, 46 degrees with 8mph winds. 426pm sunset. I’ll check my lone cam before sitting.
There were 4 different shooters in Under a week when I was there last. Gotta be at least 1 of them on cam in past 2 weeks unless they all jointly decided to not check scrapes for 2 weeks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

Was dealing with a smart buck this morning. 

Everything felt great this morning, like it was going to be "the" morning. It's the first time I felt this way this season. 

I've passed several small spikes and a one antler deer more time than I can remember at this point, but knew there was a nice one in the area.

I settled into my chair the ground at around 6:45am, and snugged in watching the hillside above me and the hemlocks below. At about 7:30 am I watched two small does walk down the hill in front of me, and they milled around by the hemlocks before going in I assume to bed down. It has always been a popular being area for deer. 

At 8am I was still primarily focusing on the same spots but occasionally peeking down into some think stuff below and to my right, another popular pass through spot for deer. And, just as soon as I cast my eyes in that direction I caught a huge body deer cruising through the thicket below me. His body looked 3 times the size of the does, and I just knew immediately it was a buck. Then caught sight of his rack.  I never paid any more attention to the rack because I knew he was a shooter , and instead smoothly got in position to shoot. He was about 60 yards down hill and going to pass broadside. 

I could have poked a shot trough the berry bushes but instead chose to wait until he was going to be directly side ways to me and in the hard woods where I could get a clearer shot. I put my rifle in his direction and watched him go behind a tree about 22 inches diameter, and waited for him to step passed the tree and into my scope. 

And I waited, waited, waited, thinking when are you gonna step out, but he never did. I never saw him again, I never heard him run or spook off. He just disappeared! 

At 10 am I had to leave to go with my wife to a doctors appointment, so on my way out of the woods I examined where he had been when I first saw him, and I followed his tracks. 

That son of a gun came out of that thicket and walked sideways up the hill just below me and from where I last saw him, looking up hill you could see my chair clear as day. He must have either seen me move, scented me, or just knew something was not right, because all he did was stop walking at that tree, turned, and walked right back down the hill to where he had come from. If I had just once pointed my rifle back to where he was coming from on that side of the tree instead of focusing on where he was going but never went, I would have still had an open shot at him. 

This chapter ended with him wining, but I think considering he was not scared off there is more of this story to come. 

• Like 14

Well I found fresh tracks the only problem was they went both ways. It took me a while but I figured which where on top and followed them for an hour then a coyote joined in but left. The tracks went into a swap that I could go thru,so I went around it but couldn’t pick them up or it stayed in the swamp. Pretty cool I might give it another try there tomorrow. There’s still a lot of guys hunting for the last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic