LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Got to my stand about 2:00, just finished getting settled in and this small deer comes trotting right up and stops ten yards from me. Doe/button buck, I’m not sure. Of more interest is the fact that it was looking back and acting all fidgety. I was really hoping for a buck to be following but no luck. The deer eventually wandered off but was constantly stopping to look back the way it had come from. Maybe, just maybe. 

image.jpg

Just got a chance to re-read my earlier post and wanted to say sorry for all the typos and spelling errors. I was typing on my laptop while sitting in the car waiting for my wife, and did not get a chance to look it over before posting. 

It does not help that the eye surgeons in Alaska did the wrong surgery on me and badly damaged my vision. 

This also may have played a roll in the deer getting the drop on me today. 

Back after him in the morning! 

I haven’t been on here much the last few weeks, but I’d thought that I’d give an update from the buck I shot on Nov 4. I finally ended up finding him about 2 weeks ago. He ended up circling back from where he came from. I still can’t believe that I missed him when I searched the area the first time. Unfortunately, someone else found him before me and took the whole head off of him. He was a 13 point and I had pics of him all summer. There is another buck in the area that I’ve had my sights on as well, but he’s been very nocturnal all year and doesn’t make many mistakes. There’s still plenty of time left and hopefully he starts to slip up a little more in the late season. 5404E225-B208-4619-93B2-5A9E883ABD66.thumb.png.c18c04b7be2e3c754a56408d473f9fb3.pngD2E7C398-DCC9-4A15-B782-46DD13AD3840.thumb.png.17fa99739b2bb555f8fc6cd5c886d9e9.png

Edited by NonTypical
  • Sad 2

I haven’t been on here much the last few weeks, but I’d thought that I’d give an update from the buck I shot on Nov 4. I finally ended up finding him about 2 weeks ago. He ended up circling back from where he came from. I still can’t believe that I missed him when I searched the area the first time. Unfortunately, someone else found him before me and took the whole head off of him. He was a 13 point and I had pics of him all summer. There is another buck in the area that I’ve had my sights on as well, but he’s been very nocturnal all year and doesn’t make many mistakes. There’s still plenty of time left and hopefully he starts to slip up a little more in the late season. 5404E225-B208-4619-93B2-5A9E883ABD66.thumb.png.c18c04b7be2e3c754a56408d473f9fb3.pngD2E7C398-DCC9-4A15-B782-46DD13AD3840.thumb.png.17fa99739b2bb555f8fc6cd5c886d9e9.png

That’s terrible. But how from a headless deer can you tell it was the same deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I harvested a doe this evening.  First deer of the year.  Better late than never!  It was a treat to take my 3 year old boy on the retrieve.

In other news, after a few test shots, I determined that my shotgun shoots as good as ever after the infamous tree stand fall last week.

• Like 24

I  shot a  nice fat spike tonite....Made a nice 250 yard shot...Made me feel just a little better after missing a much closer shot on a much bigger buck the second day of the season.... Mort and I still had a wrestling match trying to get him in the truck....Two old men trying to get a limp deer up on  a high tailgate.....Hehehe... I am going to rig up a come along  or future use, so I can just winch 'em on...  Got my meat for the season, but I still have two DMPs ...I may take another to can, and I also have an old fishing buddy, Handsome Howie, who would gratefully accept a deer ....

• Like 37

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I  shot a  nice fat spike tonite....Made a nice 250 yard shot...Made me feel just a little better after missing a much closer shot on a much bigger buck the second day of the season.... Mort and I still had a wrestling match trying to get him in the truck....Two old men trying to get a limp deer up on  a high tailgate.....Hehehe... I am going to rig up a come along  or future use, so I can just winch 'em on...  Got my meat for the season, but I still have two DMPs ...I may take another to can, and I also have an old fishing buddy, Handsome Howie, who would gratefully accept a deer ....

I have thought about getting one of the winch systems that hook into the trailer hitch. But the deer i shoot are so small I can still one hand them in the back of my truck. Congrats on the deer Dan. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Congratulations Dan!!! Way to go sir!

Did you happen to make the shot with your 7mm-08 mountain rifle?

Congrats Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, grampy said:

Congratulations Dan!!! Way to go sir!

Did you happen to make the shot with your 7mm-08 mountain rifle?

That I did, , My Good Friend, using a reload with one of the casings that you so generously gave me....

Deer was at 250...Rifle was zeroed at 2" high at 100, which should put it right on at 250...Bullet hit right where I aimed....

Thanks again, Dave  !!

• Like 9

Congrats ! And what a generous man you are, to give your friend the meat. There must be a line of guys waiting to get your meat, how lucky for handsome howie.

Tell him I said hi, when you give him the meat.

Hehehehe

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

That I did, , My Good Friend, using a reload with one of the casings that you so generously gave me....

Deer was at 250...Rifle was zeroed at 2" high at 100, which should put it right on at 250...Bullet hit right where I aimed....

Thanks again, Dave  !!

How's the 7mm-08? I looked at the ballistics, and it looks like a great flat shooting round. Thinking about a larger rifle caliber like .308 or 30-06 based on availability.

How was availability (and price) for 7mm-08 pre-'rona, I mean, normal times. I do CMP so I can buy surp and keep cost low and I still have availability at normal (plus match ammo) prices so it makes it harder. But...7mm-08...? Sounds appealing...

It has been my primary whitetail rifle for 20 + years....Shoots essentialy as flat as a .270 Win with similar bullet weights  and burns less powder ( hence less recoil) while doing it...

I load my own, but back before the current ammo shortage there were lots of choices for factory loads and prices were no higher than other popular chamberings, such as 270-308-30-06, etc...

It first became popular as an accurate , light recoiling round for sillouette competion, which included shooting out to 500 yards..

Some consider it the perfect whitetail round, but the same  could be said about numerous other chamberings also...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

It has been my primary whitetail rifle for 20 + years....Shoots essentialy as flat as a .270 Win with similar bullet weights  and burns less powder ( hence less recoil) while doing it...

I load my own, but back before the current ammo shortage there were lots of choices for factory loads and prices were no higher than other popular chamberings, such as 270-308-30-06, etc...

It first became popular as an accurate , light recoiling round for sillouette competion, which included shooting out to 500 yards..

Some consider it the perfect whitetail round, but the same  could be said about numerous other chamberings also...

I also consider it the perfect whitetail round. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Yeah...that's what I thought...

What brand/model have you been running?

Also, I like having the piece of mind that I can walk into wally world , dicks, field and stream or LGS to get my ammo and not have to resort to online. How's availability been in the stores before? TBH I haven't checked for that cartridge because it wasn't on the shopping list and asking the guys at the local stores...let's put it this way...I'm downstate and they are known for attitudes.

13 minutes ago, Catskills54 said:

Yeah...that's what I thought...

What brand/model have you been running?

Also, I like having the piece of mind that I can walk into wally world , dicks, field and stream or LGS to get my ammo and not have to resort to online. How's availability been in the stores before? TBH I haven't checked for that cartridge because it wasn't on the shopping list and asking the guys at the local stores...let's put it this way...I'm downstate and they are known for attitudes.

I'm shooting a Rem M700 DBM Mountain Rifle that I bought in the early 1990s....It has always been very accurate and grouped around 1" off the bench at 100 yards with the two loads I have used in it, the first with a Nosler 140 BT  and my current load with a Barnes 120  TSX...  The only factory rounds it has ever seen was a box of Rem  Green 140  that I bought for barrel break in and to get some brass....

All I can tell you about factory load availability is that before the current situation, I  used to see plenty of 7-08 factory loads in the gunshops....It is a very popular round here in  southwestern NY and central/northwestern PA.....Lots of folks here on the forum shoot it and like it...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I'm shooting a Rem M700 DBM Mountain Rifle that I bought in the early 1990s....It has always been very accurate and grouped around 1" off the bench at 100 yards with the two loads I have used in it, the first with a Nosler 140 BT  and my current load with a Barnes 120  TSX...  The only factory rounds it has ever seen was a box of Rem  Green 140  that I bought for barrel break in and to get some brass....

All I can tell you about factory load availability is that before the current situation, I  used to see plenty of 7-08 factory loads in the gunshops....It is a very popular round here in  southwestern NY and central/northwestern PA.....Lots of folks here on the forum shoot it and like it...

Awesome! Gonna put it a bit higher on the list for when this thing blows over. After all, rifles are "cheap" scopes can be moved!

As for hunting, I hear nothing but great things about it for deer/black bear and similar sized game. But I came across a few places that said with heavier loads it does well with larger game (https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/5/10/behind-the-bullet-7mm-08-remington/).

Any experience with something like that? Honestly though, I'd prob just get a 30-06 or similar if elk/moose was in the near future. How do you feel about it vs 7mm Rem Mag? I've shot that, and obviously it has more recoil.

Well the old lady signed over  her 7s tag to me so I guess im going hunting this am. Idk why I used my dmp in bow vs my antler-less tag. Not really a big deal anyway. (I had 2 7s tags myself, this will be my 3rd) 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Congrat Dan, nice shot!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Congrats Dan.  250 yards is a poke!  Wish I lives 5 hours closer.  I would help you load a deer for a beer at the Legion and a story or two.

• Like 1

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic