Swamp_bucks

Opening day weapon?

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Chef said:


Hahaha that’s amazing! It will be my next gun purchase. But I need a 2nd safe first or my wife is going to kill me. Trigger locks stopped being ok once my kid learned to open doors...

Where did you do the bear hunt? I’m thinking about goin in21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive gone to Gogama Ontario three times (two bears) and New Brunswick once and killed a bear. Gogama was way better, its half the driving distance and they offer fly ins for amazing fishing


I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I see there is rain in the forecast for Saturday.  If it is a straight down rain with no wind, I will deploy the tree umbrella and stick with my scoped Marlin M512. 

If we get high winds and sideways rain, I will go with my Remington 870, 12 ga, with short smooth bore, open-site barrel, and Remington sluggers.

Right now our Saturday forecast is dry but Sunday may have rain down in Chautauqua

 

As I typed that it flip flopped. Who knows

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

You guys talking about leaving your scoped guns behind and toting a gun with  open sights on rainy or snowy days ever heard of Butler Creek lens caps?

Lol, look ‘em up.   
 

 

Great product, if nothing else, it keeps the glass clean while in storage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always lots of replies to threads like this..

I guess we all enjoy talking about our guns  !!....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same gun since 1985, although it now wears a different stock since the original got broken.  Remington 700 in .270 Win with Leupold 3-9 scope.

 

 

270.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Same gun since 1985, although it now wears a different stock since the original got broken.  Remington 700 in .270 Win with Leupold 3-9 scope.

 

 

270.jpg

That's a beautiful stock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Always lots of replies to threads like this..
I guess we all enjoy talking about our guns  !!....

We all know you only hunt with your man spear


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rifled Remington 870 12 GA with scope at my brother's property and crossbow at my lady's property as it's a bunch of 10 acre parcels and don't wanna make a racket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chef said:


We all know you only hunt with your man spear


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to, but now it would only work as a lasso....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Splitear said:

That's a beautiful stock!

I like the laminates myself, as long as they look like wood and aren't some goony color...

My M70  Win came from the factory with a brown laminate stock similar to Steve's, and I have always thought  it was quite attractive..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I like the laminates myself, as long as they look like wood and aren't some goony color...

My M70  Win came from the factory with a brown laminate stock similar to Steve's, and I have always thought  it was quite attractive..

I have a 10/22 with a kind of greyish laminate Mannlicher stock, it looks really nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Splitear said:

That's a beautiful stock!

It's a replacement Boyd laminate.  They give you lots of options to customize it with different checkering patterns, stock shape, etc..  Can't beat the feel and look of wood compared to fiberglass or other plastics the majority of guns wear these days.

 

  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, steve863 said:

It's a replacement Boyd laminate.  They give you lots of options to customize it with different checkering patterns, stock shape, etc..  Can't beat the feel and look of wood compared to fiberglass or other plastics the majority of guns wear these days.

 

  

And it shoots damn well too. 

  • Haha 1

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

"The trouble with Socialism is, sooner or later you run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher

"When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.." - James Dale Davidson, National Taxpayers Union

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I typically use a Sako .300 mag. Shot an awful lot of deer with that gun and there’s no factory triggers I’ve ever seen close and I’m a trigger guy. That may be my choice again. Got a safe full of rifles so it’s gonna seem crazy, my other possible first choice is a .243 Rem 700. Not as much to my liking as the Sako but lighter and shorter and shoots pretty tight groups. . Got a few places I need to hike substantially, if I go there it’ll be coming. As I write my coffee table is full of reloads for both. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have my CZ 527 carbine in 7.62 x 39 and Hornady 123 grain SST's.  Best woods gun I ever owned.:hunter:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Remington 700 .308.  She drives tacks.

I guess I didn't bang the scope at all.

IMG_20201117_132410.jpg

  • Like 3

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post ever! I have enjoyed this forum since discovering it two weeks ago. Grew up hunting in PA and joined the military and did not get to hunt that much. Now that I am back in the northeast for good it has been nice to get back into the woods! 

First day weapon is a Stevens 7mm-08. I won the thing three years ago at a local fire department gun raffle. The thing has been great and taken down 8 deer! Myself 2 does and 6 point, my 9 year old daughter a doe and a button buck and my brother 2 bucks and my sister in law a doe. 

I hunt northern zone so I already took a doe down last week with it and hope to get my buck tomorrow morning, it is suppose to be super cold so I am hopeful. 

Based on how close and the type of terrain I have been getting these deer at I am looking to switch to a 30-30 or 45-70 sometime in the next few years.. other than my daughter's deer which were shot in PA during the mentored hunt days all of them have been taken inside 100yds. Need more of a brush gun as opposed to my sniper rifle. 

Good luck to everyone going out for the first time this Saturday!

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

First post ever! I have enjoyed this forum since discovering it two weeks ago. Grew up hunting in PA and joined the military and did not get to hunt that much. Now that I am back in the northeast for good it has been nice to get back into the woods! 

First day weapon is a Stevens 7mm-08. I won the thing three years ago at a local fire department gun raffle. The thing has been great and taken down 8 deer! Myself 2 does and 6 point, my 9 year old daughter a doe and a button buck and my brother 2 bucks and my sister in law a doe. 

I hunt northern zone so I already took a doe down last week with it and hope to get my buck tomorrow morning, it is suppose to be super cold so I am hopeful. 

Based on how close and the type of terrain I have been getting these deer at I am looking to switch to a 30-30 or 45-70 sometime in the next few years.. other than my daughter's deer which were shot in PA during the mentored hunt days all of them have been taken inside 100yds. Need more of a brush gun as opposed to my sniper rifle. 

Good luck to everyone going out for the first time this Saturday!

 

 

Welcome! And good luck to you too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

First post ever! I have enjoyed this forum since discovering it two weeks ago. Grew up hunting in PA and joined the military and did not get to hunt that much. Now that I am back in the northeast for good it has been nice to get back into the woods! 

First day weapon is a Stevens 7mm-08. I won the thing three years ago at a local fire department gun raffle. The thing has been great and taken down 8 deer! Myself 2 does and 6 point, my 9 year old daughter a doe and a button buck and my brother 2 bucks and my sister in law a doe. 

I hunt northern zone so I already took a doe down last week with it and hope to get my buck tomorrow morning, it is suppose to be super cold so I am hopeful. 

Based on how close and the type of terrain I have been getting these deer at I am looking to switch to a 30-30 or 45-70 sometime in the next few years.. other than my daughter's deer which were shot in PA during the mentored hunt days all of them have been taken inside 100yds. Need more of a brush gun as opposed to my sniper rifle. 

Good luck to everyone going out for the first time this Saturday!

 

 

Welcome, and I hope to see more of your adventures!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on where I set up either the Model 70 243 or 30-06. (Middle gun is @Savagehunter Model 70 308 and will be in his hands)

05B989D7-7FD9-4BAA-B98C-80931284E71A.jpeg

Edited by Billdogge
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billdogge said:

Depending on where I set up either the Model 70 243 or 30-06. (Middle gun is @Savagehunter Model 70 308 and will be in his hands)

05B989D7-7FD9-4BAA-B98C-80931284E71A.jpeg

 

21 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

Or on of the Ruger Americans if walking. 

6E419E5F-7682-48F0-A5E4-1AD5F77D18BF.jpeg

You don’t have to show off you know ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rob-c said:

 

You don’t have to show off you know ^_^

 

I think you'd find more hunting equipment inside Billdogge's house than inside a Cabela's store.   LOL

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.