Ok so the talk around the finger lakes is “ where are the deer”.. is your area different this year

luberhill

Maybe it’s the warm mild fall ? Maybe it’s Covid and more people are stomping the woods because they are out of work ??

I know my property is much different . I’ve owned it since 2006.

It was a given every morning and night lots of deer in my field and wooded hedge..

This year I see a few but always 2am on my camera .

I was getting lots of buck and doe pics a weeks before bow season ... then like two weeks before it opened none !

so is YOUR area seem different this year ? Are you seeing less or no deer ?

Although I personally havent hunted the FL region this year, I used to spend every season week end on the west side of Seneca Lake. This year two good friends have hunted every week end. Where we used to see multiple deer every day and usually fill a couple tags, this year they saw one deer to shoot at, as of this a.m. that is it. 

Changes in ownership and use over the years have made a great impact, and they no longer can wander over the 500 or so acres like we used to, limited to a very small patch. They report few hunters in the area, surprisingly enough. At the same time, I also think the local vineyards are shooting off deer (as they are legally allowed to do with permits). 

• Sad 1

My primary hunting spot is WNY, 8A. Leading into the season, I had much less camera activity than years past. I also saw far fewer on the hoof than in years past. 

I live in Greece. Over the past few years, I've been surprised by the amount of development West of Rochester. It seems every suitable lot has been developed into townhomes, condos, or assisted living. I've lost several areas where I used to small game hunt. Habitat loss surely has an impact on deer as well as other factors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Im in 3k.  This has been the most action packed of a season here at home for me.  Several bucks caught on camera here on my 5 acres, and in years past, I might not even see, or get a legal buck on camera all season....In surrounding areas, I hear its very slow, some guys I know always get 2 bucks, this year none so far.  This could have been my first 2 buck season ever, but it was early on gun opener, and I wanted to let him walk.  Since gun opener, I have not seen a buck, but thats every year here.

I hunt mostly 8h & 8n along with a couple of other areas and the  the number of deer sightings and cam pics have been steadily declining for the last 3-4 years. After sitting this morning I covered a considerable amount of ground looking for sign and there was little to none. That along with the fact they are mostly moving at night here makes for reduced sightings while hunting.

Not sure what the cause is but I have lived and hunted in the area for 20+ years and never seen the deer sign as bad it has been for the last 3 or 4.

In addition you don't hear many shots while out which also leads me to believe the population is down.

• Like 1

You know my sob story . 32 years on this spot , it was always easy pickings through gun .

fewest sightings in bow season ever .

Last few years I said gun hunts like bow , deer walking around in daylight etc . 

this year I’ve seen 4 all of gun and I hunted a lot, 7 stands 2 huts all in proven spots , on routes to / from cover .

8H Cand./ Bloomfield s area 

last year two nice bucks , I had my pick of them .

Slower than normal bow season with more bigger bucks on cam though.didnt see deer every sit but pretty close to it.day 1 and 2 of gun saw deer then went to nocturnal.dad has seen deer his past two sits but no shot.pretty sure thats due to the neighbor walking around though.as Greene said if ur not stepping on em they arent moving!

unfortunately our property doesn't have the cover.property's north and south do..deff some changes to come next season with food sources.im 8g Byron/Bergen

I have no complaints from our spot but we also work our tails off each yr trying to make it better. I saw mostly decent to nice bucks this season and have seen a lot of doe’s. Between both my spots I couldn’t even count how many nice 8pt plus bucks I saw. Son’s a bitches we always to dang far away during bow.

Most pics have been night time the last few weeks but am still getting lots of pics. 

170888A8-BECA-4F1E-B111-494889C773FF.jpeg

5E56B67C-4E49-47E7-93F4-9FE9D84D8E58.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Zag said:

I have no complaints from our spot but we also work our tails off each yr trying to make it better. I saw mostly decent to nice bucks this season and have seen a lot of doe’s. Between both my spots I couldn’t even count how many nice 8pt plus bucks I saw. Son’s a bitches we always to dang far away during bow.

Most pics have been night time the last few weeks but am still getting lots of pics. 

170888A8-BECA-4F1E-B111-494889C773FF.jpeg

5E56B67C-4E49-47E7-93F4-9FE9D84D8E58.jpeg

Nice, send me the coordinates and I will come help you reduce the infestation ..LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, suburbanfarmer said:

Nice, send me the coordinates and I will come help you reduce the infestation ..LOL

Funny thing is, up until last yr when we installed the food plot, we (dad, brother and me) only liked to take a doe or two. Once we saw how many deer were feeding in the plot on a reg basis it helped us realize we could shoot 10 doe and have little to no impact. 
I think the most deer in one pic was a dozen. 

• Like 3

Definitely neighborhood specific, my friend in Mendon always has tons of deer. Wife is anti hunting :(

Further down south in Bloomfield the usage of nuisance tags have almost killed the herd.

3 minutes ago, Zag said:

Funny thing is, up until last yr when we installed the food plot, we (dad, brother and me) only liked to take a doe or two. Once we saw how many deer were feeding in the plot on a reg basis it helped us realize we could shoot 10 doe and have little to no impact. 
I think the most deer in one pic was a dozen. 

2 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Definitely neighborhood specific, my friend in Mendon always has tons of deer. Wife is anti hunting :(

Further down south in Bloomfield the usage of nuisance tags have almost killed the herd.

That’s where I was born and raised and am moving back to, wife and I bought my grandparents home and move next week. Tons of deer there, like many people we had tons of spots to do drives yrs ago but most are gone now.

Parts of Bloomfield are good and others are slim!!

• Like 1

Down here in Dogpatch, many guys have complained that the deer are not moving because of too little hunting pressure..

However several local deer processors have been turning people away..SOMEBODY must be killing some...

As por MOI, today was the first afternoon sit when I have not seen at least one deer...Mornings have been slow, but afternoons have been good for anywhere from 2 to ten deer per sit, including 6 or 8 bucks mostly yearlings but a couple of bigger ones also....I have only missed hunting about three afternoons so far this season...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Between Pygmy & Zag I am having access envy..:)

I understand, My Friend... However  my success at seeing deer comes with a price...A few thousand dollars per year in property taxes, and several hundred dollars per year in  food plot prep, not counting my labor...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Idk I need hearing this and I see almost no roadkills this year which is strange. However I’ve seen plenty of deer hunting.

Made me think as ive hardly seen any roadkills aswell,very strange for our area too.hunters on the other hand it doesnt seem there is as many in the immediate area i hunt.typically see trucks pulled off to the side,not this year like past years