Crossbows proposed in all seasons 2021

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You cant use a cannon to hunt deer so there is a maximum. Punt guns are illegal for waterfoul now..  so i have no issue with maximum 400 fps is quite capable within lb limits.  Making archery course mandatory and learning that though a x bow can shoot 100 yards off a rest accuratly the game will most likely move before arrow gets there so the lbs limit makes sense. No reason to temp long shots cause it has more fps. 

You're missing my point.  The regs for firearms (which specifies legal implements and does not include cannons or punt guns) have a minimum caliber but no maximum.  It doesn't say maximum .300 Win Mag or some other.  You can legally use a .50 BMG.  You can be okay with these restrictions, that is your right.  I am looking for the logic or justification; which there does not seem to be any.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s an interesting article on the front page of the New York Outdoor News ( feb.5) edition. Looks like Cuomo did something good for a change. If passed , it would take effect immediately. The NYSD

I've been a bowhunter since the late 70s. The recurve I used to kill my first bow deer, looks nothing like the compound I shoot today. Yet in all these years, I have upgraded my equipment step by step

I disagree with your assumptions. Compound bow hunting maybe a way for you to challenge yourself in the woods, and it may take you months of practice to get it correct, but not all. It takes skill to

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

You're missing my point.  The regs for firearms (which specifies legal implements and does not include cannons or punt guns) have a minimum caliber but no maximum.  It doesn't say maximum .300 Win Mag or some other.  You can legally use a .50 BMG.  You can be okay with these restrictions, that is your right.  I am looking for the logic or justification; which there does not seem to be any.

The logic is to keep.performance on par with a 70 lb pull compound. As for limbwidth that can change as new designs allow for narrower limbs ( it was initially.put in place to qell fears of shooting it out of vehicles ) as i said i have no issue with lb limit , 400fps is fast enough for game under 50 yards same as a top. End compound. 

One should have nothing to do with the other.  Those NY restrictions are equivalent, and same thought process, to the ridiculous restrictions on the ARs in NY.  Get rid of Andy and we can get rid of both (xbow & AR) ridiculous and unnecessary restrictions.  We as hunters should be behind this first and then second work to get the restrictions removed.  
Getting rid of AC all together would be fantastic!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

They have minimum caliber for rifle for deer so why not on a crossbow or a bow.( drawweight)  i dont have problem with it , shotgun only areas for years..  
I don't mind the minimum draw weight I think that's responsible hunting regs. But limiting a max draw is silly. Same as minimum width. Get rid of the minimum width and max draw. Keep minimum draw so you can keep ethical kills of the species being hunted

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The logic is to keep.performance on par with a 70 lb pull compound. As for limbwidth that can change as new designs allow for narrower limbs ( it was initially.put in place to qell fears of shooting it out of vehicles ) as i said i have no issue with lb limit , 400fps is fast enough for game under 50 yards same as a top. End compound. 

Thank you for providing the rationales; which to me are not logical.  I don't agree with the maximum draw on xbows to equate to a 70 lb bow since there is no 70 lb limit on bows.  The minimum width restriction I also do not agree with.  Shooting from a vehicle is already illegal and those that will do it will still use the illegal narrow bow.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There’s an interesting article on the front page of the New York Outdoor News ( feb.5) edition. Looks like Cuomo did something good for a change. If passed , it would take effect immediately. The NYSDEC will be the ones making the crossbow regulations. No more limits on draw weights or width requirements. Also full inclusion and lowering  the hunting age to 12 .

• Like 7

... but this new proposed bill has been added  onto the budget. Cumo tried this once before and it got removed and never advanced thru the legislative process. Referring the Xbow hunting seasons and limitation is just "common sense". Now we all know politicians possess that mental capacity... Optimistically, maybe this will be lucky 7, 7th attempt to institute Xbow legislation.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I have never seen a scope on a bow . Don't know anyone that has .

Mostly for 3 d  target shooting  but they are out there

Screenshot_20210210-070510_Chrome.jpg

11 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I have never seen a scope on a bow . Don't know anyone that has .

Nobody uses a scope on a compound bow , it was just an attempt to downplay the advantage X bows have in archery season. 

• Like 2

I love opening days like everyone  else. 

A Dream come True would be to go out with a brand new Crossbow on October 1st- early Archery opener.

I might come out with Big Bodied 6- Pointer for my 1st ever Deer and finally develop  an Interest in Deer hunting.;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1