Ok what am I doing wrong

cynthiafu

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

you need to shoot up close for a week or 2 and not worry about where the arrow is hitting , get some muscle memory going and then try grouping again. not much can be adjusted for inconsistent arrow placement.  

I stand in the same spot everytime . 

If you hit left Everytime then you prob need to move the sight left a bit.  It will make you bring the pin back right.  

There should be an adjustment on the sight that you can loosen with an Allen wrench and the whole side will slide left/right.  

With a bow you actually want to move it to the direction your shooting and it will make you bring your pins back.  

Not sure of your experience level .  I would imagine  if your a new shooter and your right handed.  Your pushing your bow hand away  on the release  and or  pulling your release hand away from your face.  Following  through  is part of the basic mechanics of good shooting form. Just a guess.  Have somebody record you shooting and study your form . I wouldn't worry about moving pins until you have consistency. 

1 hour ago, cynthiafu said:

Not sure how to do that . But I figured if I aim for the far side of bag I still hit the neck 

16164461240058162797042703353484.jpg

How far away are you from the target? A side photo of you at full draw so we can see you and your bow would be helpful also. With archery you always follow the arrow so if your shooting high left you need to move your sight up and left. only make one adjustment at a time either bring in your left or high down first then the other. Small adjustments at a time like a 1/16 or 1/8 of a inch. A photo would tell us a lot.. 

Your 3rd photo is not a bad group for a beginner ...

Edited by rob-c

Cynthia

If you are stand in the same place every time and ending up with those results I would say you need some assistance with your form. If you have an archery shop with a indoor range nearby I would go there....explain your problem and most archery shops will have someone there that can show you the correct technique. 

The most important things are to have a good anchor point, and clean release. I wouldn't worry about accuracy or adjusting pins until you get that down. It is hard for first time archers and some help from someone with experience is the best way to get started. There is so much to take into consideration before becoming proficient. You should make sure the bow is tuned, have a good technique, anchor point, a clean release, and a sight that works for you.

Find someone to get you started so you don't get frustrated in learning how to shoot. There are plenty here to help you but is pretty much a hands on situation.

Regardless of where you hit on the target you have to get a good group first. Once you are able to shoot good groups it will be time to adjust the sight.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Cynthia

If you are stand in the same place every time and ending up with those results I would say you need some assistance with your form. If you have an archery shop with a indoor range nearby I would go there....explain your problem and most archery shops will have someone there that can show you the correct technique. 

The most important things are to have a good anchor point, and clean release. I wouldn't worry about accuracy or adjusting pins until you get that down. It is hard for first time archers and some help from someone with experience is the best way to get started. There is so much to take into consideration before becoming proficient. You should make sure the bow is tuned, have a good technique, anchor point, a clean release, and a sight that works for you.

Find someone to get you started so you don't get frustrated in learning how to shoot. There are plenty here to help you but is pretty much a hands on situation.

Regardless of where you hit on the target you have to get a good group first. Once you are able to shoot good groups it will be time to adjust the sight.

This... its most likely your form.  I wish I was closer to you. I would love to help u out. 

As mentioned.  Go to your local archery shop.  

But, try this. I was taught this while attending PSE school in Indiana.

Get close to your target.  Like 5'.  Draw, aim... close your eyes once your on target.  Release.  Repeat,  over and over. Don't worry if your not hitting POA. Your looking for consistently hitting the same spot.

If your form, release is consistent every time, you'll have a tight group. Gradually extend the range by a couple feet. This will help you learn muscle memory and a consistent anchor point.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Cynthia, if you bought from B&B, Nick(white haired older guy) is a great coach.  He got me all setup, and is very patient, I highly recommend him.  

I might be wrong but if I remember correctly she won it in a raffle. Even more reason to get assistance for a new archer.

Not trying to be smart, racist, or sexist but most women  have a couple of obstacles most men don't have to overcome.

All new archers should get some instruction and help, or the struggle for success can be long, difficult, and frustrating.

Was this bow setup for you? Draw length is correct? If not you'll never get out of the gates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From what it looks like your pushing the arrow high and left.
Remember when adjusting your sight to chase your arrow.
Also is the draw length correct? Sometimes with to long of a draw length you will push your arrow left if your a right handed shooter.
Just a few things to think about.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Lots of good advice already. 

I was shooting a bit with a buddy over the weekend. I was shooting consistently in the circle (about a 2 inch spot on the bag) at 15 and 25 yards. Then my buddy tried my bow. He has his own bow and is fairly consistent with his but wanted to try my new rig. When he shot it, he was about a foot low and a foot left every time. 

I share as an example of what others have said. There are a few components to shooting. The first part is getting your form down so that you are comfortable and consistent when you shoot. The second part is making sure that the bow is setup for you. Things like draw length and weight, position of the D loop, configuration of the site, etc. For accuracy at any range, you can't have one without the other.

I too recently started bowhunting and was steered toward John Dudley's videos at Nock On Archery. He has some awesome step by step tutorials on YouTube for form that really helped me progress quickly. I think he called them "weekly lessons" or something along those lines. He also has some basic 101 videos. I shot a ton from Spring - through hunting season to get comfortable. 

Good luck!