I met the Father of the Year Today

fasteddie

When I left our hunting property , I stopped at the gas station in East Avon to grab a coffee and wash my hands . There was a customer at the counter with a couple 16 or 20 ounce cans of beer . His son ( maybe 10 or 11 years old ) put a bottle of Gator-Ade on the counter . His dad said he didn't have enough money for that and find something for a dollar or less . They went back to the cooler to look . As I was paying I said to the clerk that the father could have given up one of the beers so the kid would get his drink . The clerk said he was thinking the same thing . What an awesome Dad ! 

Sorry , I just had to vent and share this ..........

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

When I left our hunting property , I stopped at the gas station in East Avon to grab a coffee and wash my hands . There was a customer at the counter with a couple 16 or 20 ounce cans of beer . His son ( maybe 10 or 11 years old ) put a bottle of Gator-Ade on the counter . His dad said he didn't have enough money for that and find something for a dollar or less . They went back to the cooler to look . As I was paying I said to the clerk that the father could have given up one of the beers so the kid would get his drink . The clerk said he was thinking the same thing . What an awesome Dad ! 

It really sucks when you see something like this

On 10/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, fasteddie said:

That right there is what’s wrong with this world now a days. 

This sickens and saddens me. I know how that kid felt. The only thing my abusive, alcoholic, biological father ever taught me, was he was the man I never wanted to be. When he left us at the age of twelve, I made I promise to myself to never be like him............ever.

I've kept that promise. 

I would have told that kid to go pick out TWO of whatever he wanted! It was my lucky day! And now his too!!

And if the "father" said anything, I would have quietly whispered, kids remember for a long time. And you only have them for a short time.

• Like 2

As much as I'd love to pile on, making assumptions sometimes can backfire. I'm sure the story is more of a zinger because it was beer and not a soda or something non-alcohol.

But, what if the parent just got done teaching the kid a lesson about spending his discretionary money wisely. Maybe the kid just came from blowing his money on something like comics, games, etc.? There have been times I have been at the counter and told my kid no, pretty much for that exact reason myself. Kids not hearing NO in life is why we are where we are.

I have zero idea the guy in the story's background, but I won't make assumptions based on that one encounter with limited one person POV. Also, I have zero desire to give my kids everything they ever wanted, maybe I am a minority here. That's how you raise kids who become adults that think they should be given a living wage by the government, instead of creating value from what they choose to accomplish in life.

Edited by phade
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, phade said:

As much as I'd love to pile on, making assumptions sometimes can backfire. I'm sure the story is more of a zinger because it was beer and not a soda or something non-alcohol.

But, what if the parent just got done teaching the kid a lesson about spending his discretionary money wisely. Maybe the kid just came from blowing his money on something like comics, games, etc.? There have been times I have been at the counter and told my kid no, pretty much for that exact reason myself. Kids not hearing NO in life is why we are where we are.

I have zero idea the guy in the story's background, but I won't make assumptions based on that one encounter with limited one person POV. Also, I have zero desire to give my kids everything they ever wanted, maybe I am a minority here. That's how you raise kids who become adults that think they should be given a living wage by the government, instead of creating value from what they choose to accomplish in life.

Very good point Brad. A lot of validity in your words too. Not being there myself, I could only come to my own conclusion.

• Like 1

@phade while I can certainly agree with your thought of not to be quick to judge I still cant in my head come up with a good reason for a father to buy two of something(ignoring the fact that is was beer) then tell his kid he doesn't have enough money for it and to get something for a dollar or less. 

I tell my kids no all the time while out shopping because lets face it kids ask for a lot of stuff that they don't need but to me if your buying something to drink at a gas station that means that you are probably just out and about with your kid and you stopped because you are thirsty. Personally to me that's hardly the time to teach a lesson to your kid about spending money. 

Now you take this story and put it inside a grocery store I don't think much of it. Dad goes in quick to buy a case of beer on the way home the kid wants something near the cash register and the dad tells him no. End of story I've probably done it 10 times myself. 

13 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

@phade while I can certainly agree with your thought of not to be quick to judge I still cant in my head come up with a good reason for a father to buy two of something(ignoring the fact that is was beer) then tell his kid he doesn't have enough money for it and to get something for a dollar or less. 

I tell my kids no all the time while out shopping because lets face it kids ask for a lot of stuff that they don't need but to me if your buying something to drink at a gas station that means that you are probably just out and about with your kid and you stopped because you are thirsty. Personally to me that's hardly the time to teach a lesson to your kid about spending money. 

Now you take this story and put it inside a grocery store I don't think much of it. Dad goes in quick to buy a case of beer on the way home the kid wants something near the cash register and the dad tells him no. End of story I've probably done it 10 times myself. 

Everyone is free to make assumptions or not. 

Maybe I'm just getting older/wiser (in my own head) in the past year or two that the book isn't judged by the cover all of the time. We never know what someone's internal thoughts/motivation/etc. are.

Maybe the guy was buying two - one for him and the wife, and the kid was being a monster all day. Maybe the kid blew his money on Roblox or whatever that is called. Maybe the guy was a jerk. No idea, but I just know I don't have enough detail to make a third hand assumption. Yet, the mob here is saying he is the worst dad of the year with conviction based off of a 70+ year old man's 60 second interaction who didn't know the guy from Adam - I'd hate to have y'all on a jury.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, phade said:

Everyone is free to make assumptions or not. 

Maybe I'm just getting older/wiser (in my own head) in the past year or two that the book isn't judged by the cover all of the time. We never know what someone's internal thoughts/motivation/etc. are.

Maybe the guy was buying two - one for him and the wife, and the kid was being a monster. Maybe the kid blew his money on Roblox or whatever that is called. Maybe the guy was a jerk. No idea, but I just know I don't have enough detail to make a third hand assumption. Yet, the mob here is saying he is the worst dad of the year with conviction - I'd hate to have y'all on a jury.

OK, you convinced me.... The kid is an absolute monster and the Dad needed 2 beers just to be able to not kill him! 

All jokes aside I get what your saying and it's tough to not jump to conclusions when it's something like the story above but good on you for trying to find the better in this world. 

• Like 1

I hate to judge a book by the cover here, but my first initial thought was how rude.

I give all I can to my children and nieces/nephews. Not to be materialistic, but they always come first. That being said, who knows the predicament they are in. An offering to buy the Childs drink would probably get shot down by the father in most cases Id imagine.