Live shot deer processing

rachunter

Today I shot my PB gun buck unfortunately I hit him behind the shoulder out the gut.his liver was pate I’ve only shot a few deer in the liver and the meat always had that liver taste to it. Is the anything I can do to avoid it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooting a deer through the liver or gut only taints the inner loins ( as long as the deer was found and processed within a reasonable time and you didn’t further contaminate the meat) one of the worse things people do is start washing the deer out with water. That just spreads stomach contents everywhere. 

• Thanks 1

You can get very little meat damage, and super clean gutting,  if you hit them in the “under the tail pocket”, when they are facing directly away from you.  

That is a much smaller target though.  If you miss it by more than 1/4”, in any direction, then the meat damage would be pretty intense, and gutting would be a mess. 

53 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

You can get very little meat damage, and super clean gutting,  if you hit them in the “under the tail pocket”, when they are facing directly away from you.  

That is a much smaller target though.  If you miss it by more than 1/4”, in any direction, then the meat damage would be pretty intense, and gutting would be a mess. 

Not a fan of the texas heart shot

• Like 2