Covid round two!

18 minutes ago, knehrke said:

I also lean conservative and Republican, in most things. This is rare I feel in an academic, and I've had a tough time holding firm to the middle through this pandemic. The extremes (on both sides) make me reconsider whether I want to be associated with either in any way, even as I ultimately agree with some of their conclusions. But that's neither her nor there.

So, I don't want to position myself as a "know it all" on this forum - I'm pleased to respond to a pm, in as much as I have the time - so I'm going to answer Northcountryman and Rob, then get back to work.

Quick one first: we may see worse variants emerging, but generally the opposite is the trend. Easier to catch, but not as hard on you. That's how in my understanding the Spanish Flu went, and hopefully this will follow the same route. It's good to be cautiously optimistic, while remaining vigilant. 

RNA viruses like Coronavirus mutate faster than DNA viruses, with mutation frequency determined by both viral and host processes (such as cytidine/adenine deaminases). Mutations occur at the level of nucleic acid processing rather than translation, where errors would not lead to heritable transmission. These processes include things like proofreading and fidelity of the enzymes that process the nucleic acid. 

Asymptomatic carriers can pass on the virus - with the caveat that asymptomatic may simply be presymptomatic. Also, please be aware that cycle threshold (Ct) values from PCR tests are not direct measures of viral load and are subject to error, hence false positives can occur easily when considering that the Ct based on CDC guidelines is 40 cycles - that means the end product is 2 to the 40th power, or 40 doublings of what you've started with. But better to have false positives than false negatives.

Masks can help slow droplet spread, but are certainly not an answer on their own. They are likely most valuable in crowded situations. And they can help prevent viral spread from presymptomatic carriers.

The more viral replication, the greater the chance of mutation, vaxed or unvaxed - but the ultimate drivers of mutagenesis within individual populations are not completely understood. Vaccinations prime your immune system to recognize an antigen on the stalk of the protein that the virus uses to enter your cells. Hopefully, that allows you to respond more quickly to encounters, or to neutralize some of the most detrimental consequences. When the stalk region is mutated, the virus can evade the vaccine. Ultimately, it's a game of odds, and vaccination alone is just one piece of the puzzle.

KK. That went longer than I wanted. Back to reviewing applicants.

Great reply - Thank you Sir 

1 hour ago, phade said:

I'm conservative and republican in principle and in life choices, for the most part. I also am vaccinated with the booster. I chose to do so based on the information I could glean and best determine truthful. It was my decision and I own that decision regardless of outcome. I won't be a sheep if it ends up making me grow a third nipple or cancer. I won't be a sheep if it helps me shed a COVID bout easier. I made my decision and I am comfortable with it. I sleep fine at night.

Regardless of aisle side you are all choosing to stand on, it might be better if you all just do the same and chill out.

Life is about choices. It's not about fair choices or inherent right or wrong. There is a difference.

Your last sentence sums it up. Life is about choices. Nobody on here is arguing you shouldn't have gotten the vaccine if you feel that is your best choice.

Nobody is arguing you shouldn't wear a mask if you want too.

We are arguing that we shouldn't be made to wear a mask or get a vaccine. We want the choice...

My best friend and i went out to Tug and went snowmobiling yesterday. All the way back he was harping on me to get the vaccine. Not for any health reason, but because he wants to go back to Canada snowmobiling. Something we have done a few times a winter for the last 20+ years. I can't go because I don't have the vaccine. But millions can pour over our border without it....

All i want is the choice!

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

You last sentence sums it up. Life is about choices. Nobody on here is arguing you shouldn't have gotten the vaccine if you feel that is your best choice.

Nobody is arguing you shouldn't wear a mask if you want too.

We are arguing that we shouldn't be made to wear a mask or get a vaccine. We want the choice...

My best friend and i went out to Tug and went snowmobiling yesterday. All the way back he was harping on me to get the vaccine. Not for any health reason, but because he wants to go back to Canada snowmobiling. Something we have done a few times a winter for the last 20+ years. I can't go because I don't have the vaccine. But millions can pour over our border without it....

All i want is the choice!

You have a choice - you just aren't viewing it as a fair choice if I am reading it properly. You can get vax'd and go to Canada, or you don't and don't got to Canada...or you don't and pour over the border - and get caught or don't get caught with or without ramifications. So, you have choices. Choices are not ramification-free, nor fair, nor consistently fair.

• Like 4

I'm conservative and republican in principle and in life choices, for the most part. I also am vaccinated with the booster. I chose to do so based on the information I could glean and best determine truthful. It was my decision and I own that decision regardless of outcome. I won't be a sheep if it ends up making me grow a third nipple or cancer. I won't be a sheep if it helps me shed a COVID bout easier. I made my decision and I am comfortable with it. I sleep fine at night.
Regardless of aisle side you are all choosing to stand on, it might be better if you all just do the same and chill out.
Life is about choices. It's not about fair choices or inherent right or wrong. There is a difference.

My sentiments exactly. I wish everyone felt this way. I got vaxxed because it seems to ease symptoms . Anyone that chooses not to is no threat to me. Had I made it this far with all weve seen of omicron I may not have though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, phade said:

You have a choice - you just aren't viewing it as a fair choice if I am reading it properly. You can get vax'd and go to Canada, or you don't and don't got to Canada...or you don't and pour over the border - and get caught or don't get caught with or without ramifications. So, you have choices. Choices are not ramification-free, nor fair, nor consistently fair.

Fair enough, I want a fair choice....lol

5 hours ago, Chef said:

Really cause the only person on the forum qualified to answer that just said we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I think the facts prove the vaccine is ineffective.  Fact... get the vaccine, and booster and you can still get covid and spread it to others.  That is a ineffective vaccine.  Fact.. it is not proven that getting the vax will lessen symptoms. Just because some guy on TV says it does, isn't proof.  

Lots of vaccines in our history that truly worked.  These covid vaccines are a failure.  

7 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Do you feel any concerns for another variant that becomes worse rather than lesser symptoms like Omicron?

Scientists warn that omicron’s whirlwind spread across the globe practically ensures it won’t be the last worrisome coronavirus variant.

Expect More Worrisome Variants After Omicron, Scientists Say | World News | US News

1-16-22-6.jpg

• Haha 1

Jan 17 (Reuters) - A fourth shot of COVID-19 vaccine boosts antibodies to even higher levels than the third jab but it is not enough to prevent Omicron infections, according to a preliminary study in Israel.

If the 4th shot can’t stop omicron, maybe the 5th can? Lol

• Like 3

Stolen from a well educated friend: #nurse  
"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (diphtheria, tetanus,measles, rubella, chickenpox,hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had
never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated. I never saw discrimination for those who didn't. If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person. I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends. I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine! She does all these things except IMMUNIZATION. If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived."
I copied and pasted ..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

have antibodies and 2 shots. You can’t touch me. Embrace brutha, get Covid

Ya I almost regret not getting it yet , as far as I know any who  . No mask , been going to parties of 100-150 maskless guys all though this , nada . 

Nobody wears them at the gym , 50-60 people everyday , breathing heavy , spotting each other , nothing wtf . I had numerous exposures,  nothing.

perhaps I should sell my blood ?

• Like 2

2 shots and 4 shots is huge difference. Are you pro 4th shot?

I have antibodies and 2 shots. You can’t touch me. Embrace brutha, get Covid

For the general public no 4th shots are insane…. But for immune compromised, cancer, auto immune, organ transplants.

Sure

Stolen from a well educated friend: #nurse  
"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (diphtheria, tetanus,measles, rubella, chickenpox,hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had
never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated. I never saw discrimination for those who didn't. If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person. I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends. I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine! She does all these things except IMMUNIZATION. If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived."
I copied and pasted ..

So your friend the nurse…. Copied and pasted this from another idiot…. Good for her

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

2 shots and 4 shots is huge difference. Are you pro 4th shot?

I have antibodies and 2 shots. You can’t touch me. Embrace brutha, get Covid

Either my mind is totally gone or you are screwing with me. Didn't you just say that you were happy you haven't been vaxxed or did I misread that?

To answer your question - I am pro life, pro health, pro society, pro science, pro numbers. And the numbers say, best avoid getting covid as long as you can. Too many people have conflated less severe variant with safe variant.

That said, I have been at a number of parties in the last two weeks, but feel okay as they are mostly in gardens with tripe vaxxed folks with temp checks and sanitizers at every entrance.

• Like 1

Either my mind is totally gone or you are screwing with me. Didn't you just say that you were happy you haven't been vaxxed or did I misread that?
To answer your question - I am pro life, pro health, pro society, pro science, pro numbers. And the numbers say, best avoid getting covid as long as you can. Too many people have conflated less severe variant with safe variant.
That said, I have been at a number of parties in the last two weeks, but feel okay as they are mostly in gardens with tripe vaxxed folks with temp checks and sanitizers at every entrance.

You never asked if I was vaxxed. I said I couldn’t attend my work’s Xmas party or go into the office because I was unvaxxed. I got 1 shot early November and 1 early January. I’m too young to retire so unfortunately and reluctantly i had to get the shot. Transferring to one of our Texas was contemplated but it was enforced there too before switching back.

Edit - not too young to retire. I would gladly retire yesterday, just not enough funds to do it and stay in this area lol

Why do you believe the first three are the answer but the fourth is insane?

Because studies show that for the average person the 4th does not raise antibodies by nearly the percentage from shot 2-3 did.

The does become a point of diminishing returns and we seem to have reached it.