Antler Restriction Poll

jjb4900

the inital resuly would be older bucks but due to high hunter harvest rates soon a 6 pointer that will always be a 6pt will soon be dominate breeder as he cant be touched, problem with antler restrictions in high harvest areas.. age is much better but shoot what your happy with.. more regs and rules to comply with.

I hear a lot about how over regulated deer hunting has become. When I started hunting it was one buck only with limited party permits available for doe hunting. The deer season was also much shorter and there was no hunting on Sundays. Since then seasons have been lengthened and added, the number of bucks you can take has increased, doe permits are given out far more liberally, a primitive muzzleloader season was added then changed to include inline muzzleloaders with scopes and jacketed bullets, opened up southern zone WMU's to rifle hunting, reporting kills has become much easier, there has even been an increase in the amount of state land available to hunt across the state... not really seeing how the DEC has over regulated hunting or made things harder for the hunter to take a deer. If anything its as good as it's ever been for the hunter.. aside maybe for access to private land which has been limited over the years.. something the DEC has nothing to do with. 

• Like 3

So is anyone tallying these up? It sounds like there 3 categories now

1.   Agree

2.   Disagree

3.   I'd rather not issue a public opinion

this is what I came up with so far:

Agree = 9

Disagree = 28

No Opinion = 7 (may be more but didn't read any lengthy posts, only the obvious)

I didn't bother counting the ones who were "on the fence".

and thee #'s are for mandatory AR's.

Edited by jjb4900

I hear a lot about how over regulated deer hunting has become. When I started hunting it was one buck only with limited party permits available for doe hunting. The deer season was also much shorter and there was no hunting on Sundays. Since then seasons have been lengthened and added, the number of bucks you can take has increased, doe permits are given out far more liberally, a primitive muzzleloader season was added then changed to include inline muzzleloaders with scopes and jacketed bullets, opened up southern zone WMU's to rifle hunting, reporting kills has become much easier, there has even been an increase in the amount of state land available to hunt across the state... not really seeing how the DEC has over regulated hunting or made things harder for the hunter to take a deer. If anything its as good as it's ever been for the hunter.. aside maybe for access to private land which has been limited over the years.. something the DEC has nothing to do with. 

X2 on what said above. And we were happy just to get a buck and all were happy when One of the group got a Doe, that we shared the meat.

As they say the more you get the more you want and You can make some of the people happy some of the time But not all of the people All of the Time.

And I still say I Agree, because of how the heard has been depleated in my area.

• Like 1

This is a very touchy topic because their is always going to be people who like to choose for themselves, but I totally agree with this topic because the deer up my way in saratoga county are not like they use to be. I use to be able to go out with my father and see monsters that you just don't see anymore. I'm 21 and take it upon myself to manage my land and put in food plots and set my own antler restriction of six or bigger but that may seem high to all of you. If you think about it if your lacing all the little guys "1.5" year old bucks your never going to get that brute that you can hang on the wall, and I know some of you are going to say well that spike is a trophy in my eyes that all fine and dandy but whats the need to keep shooting a spike if you already got one? All this thinning out of the heard makes it harder for we to want to manage my own land because people keep wanting to sneak onto it and shoot the deer that I have been letting walk for the past two year all because they are running out of things to shoot in their secret spot. Plus they have been handing out more and more doe permits. Please DEC put an antler restriction in 5J!!!!! 

Edited by Btang

Absolutely disagree. As hunters we should be able to decide for ourselves and not have the state decide for us. Let's face it and it's obvious, New York will never be an Illinois, Kansas or Texas Buck state.

This state could be an Illinois, or Kansas kind of buck state if managed properly.  We have the land needed for it but with hunters who have itchy trigger fingers we don't get as many big mature bucks because they are shot as spikes and crotch horns.  Try not to think of it as the state telling us what we can and can't do but think of it as them trying to help us grow more mature deer.  I mean why would they care if we shot spikes or not, they are trying to get a mature and healthy herd. 

Try not to think of it as the state telling us what we can and can't do but think of it as them trying to help us grow more mature deer.  I mean why would they care if we shot spikes or not, they are trying to get a mature and healthy herd.

What "they" are trying to do is lower numbers to where everyone ones "Content "...from the hunters to the Forrester...Farmers and insurance companies....It's not the State pushing this it's guys that consider real deer hunting Buck hunting...and before you say anything...tell me where you see ppl giving the great high fives to the big mature does taken...or showing all the cam pics of "shooter" does....mounting the heads of trophy doe...ya talk to me then.....it's as if racks are directly linked to the size of a guys.........

Sorry I took this off track...back to the agree or disagree......