Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

6 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Send It…Let her Eat!!!

How’s the rain at Letchworth ?It’s been a real gully washer up here, about an hour north of there over the last half hour, but the land here is pancake flat without the gully.  

I should have went to the lower part of my two story box blind, but the rain was light when I got here at 2:00.  That buck was headed right towards that blind and he probably passed within 10 yards of it.  

The rain is letting up a little a bit now.  Hopefully, he stops by here, for a bite of clover, before 5:15.  

A big 1.5 or small 2.5  6-pointer showed up at 80 yards at 4:40.  He has a very light colored rack that was very easy to see as he walked the tall goldenrod behind the clover.  That’s the third antlered buck I’ve seen during crossbow season so far.  One more, and maybe I’ll see an antlerless deer, if the usual 4:1 ratio holds up.

That’s what always happens at my two spots in wmu 9F, because the neighboring farmers pile those up on their nuisance permits, before October 1.  I am very thankful to have been able to get in on at least a little of that action the last 2 years, thanks to the September, early antlerless gun season.  

• Like 3

Missouri is on fire as expected after the cold front. Saw 2 shooters today, both of which were caught on cam. Muddy buck came to 62 yards but crossed creek bottom. Partner saw 5 shooters and punched his bow tag on a 6x5. Rifle season tomorrow.

756ED349-B3DE-4CE7-AAA8-CB9307ED7FEF.jpeg

1479FA7B-1AFA-4782-8B3B-E5FEF255C2EE.jpeg

636F3AFE-DA05-4407-934B-BEBA839FC0EF.jpeg

• Like 17

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

How’s the rain at Letchworth ?It’s been a real gully washer up here, about an hour north of there over the last half hour, but the land here is pancake flat without the gully.  

I should have went to the lower part of my two story box blind, but the rain was light when I got here at 2:00.  That buck was headed right towards that blind and he probably passed within 10 yards of it.  

The rain is letting up a little a bit now.  Hopefully, he stops by here, for a bite of clover, before 5:15.  

Rain drove me out of the bottom at 10am and has not let up as of yet. Looks like it will be an all nighter. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, phade said:

Missouri is on fire as expected after the cold front. Saw 2 shooters today, both of which were caught on cam. Muddy buck came to 62 yards but crossed creek bottom. Partner saw 5 shooters and punched his bow tag on a 6x5. Rifle season tomorrow.

756ED349-B3DE-4CE7-AAA8-CB9307ED7FEF.jpeg

1479FA7B-1AFA-4782-8B3B-E5FEF255C2EE.jpeg

636F3AFE-DA05-4407-934B-BEBA839FC0EF.jpeg

Do you have to draw a tag for Missouri or is it over the counter.  Hoping in a couple years to go to the Midwest always wanted to and want to say I did it at least once. 

3 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Well I didn't head out today ( Veteran Stuff ) anyway the son did and the local Farmer (an un friendly type) had his two dogs loose again and nearly nipped my son . There is a leash law in town but the Dog(s) may by chance end up disappearing due to " natural causes " .... thoughts ?

If it was my kid they would disappear.  I love dogs but have zero tolerance for biting dogs especially kids.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Well I didn't head out today ( Veteran Stuff ) anyway the son did and the local Farmer (an un friendly type) had his two dogs loose again and nearly nipped my son . There is a leash law in town but the Dog(s) may by chance end up disappearing due to " natural causes " .... thoughts ?

Three S’s and keep the last S very tight, Not even your kid knowing about it. One of those things that needs to be done at times and takin to your grave with ya. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, boo711 said:

Been pretty quiet on here the last few days. Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend 

Lol. When 90% of the people that were living on this site jumped ship that will happen. Funny thing is the same 90% do all the posting on the other site with less members. And they say it’s because there is an owner over there. Can’t wait to see the outcome in a few months. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

I love dogs.....However  over my 70 some years I have been attacked a few times....There  is  no way I would allow it to happen again  as long as I was on property  that I owned or had permission and had the means to defend myself in my hands...

• Like 3

I haven’t shot at any game with this 2014 Barnett Recruit since it’s last buck (a good 3.5 yr 8-pointer) in 2019.  It’s taken (4) other bucks for me before that, all but one with protruding antlers.  It’s first shot was a miss on a grouse up in the Adirondacks.

A pack of (6)coyotes came across my middle field (10) minutes ago.  The lead (largest) one was facing me at 40 yards and I let one rip.  The bolt dropped it on the spot but it rolled around and barked for about 5 minutes.  I don’t want to waste another bolt on it.  

I guess I’ll wait for it to stop moving, then skin it and freeze the hide, maybe get it tanned.  It’s only my second adult coyote.  I killed another at night on a butcher waste pile about 10 years ago.  It will be interesting to see if there’s ticks on it.  It must have bled out now as I haven’t seen a motion in about 2 minutes.

DDF21DBB-3109-4261-AC1F-70428D55B8F0.thumb.jpeg.d431c485ab1d92d06a6ce7b73bc50033.jpeg

• Like 9