Gutting Gloves

moog5050

you're not Italian by any chance are you? or as they say, a "Goodfella"?

Lol. That's is me. First time I met phade, I was loading a bloody body bag (with deer inside) in a caddy. Big Italian, caddy, bloody body bag, I asked him, what are the chances I might get pulled over.

• Like 1

most of the time I use the same type of disposable nitrile gloves I use to cut a deer up with.  If you don't i've found you can use unscented wipes to get it off your arms but that fatty residue from the guts seems to come off your hands not as easily.  I use a small pocket folder to gut the deer and just close it up and then pull the glove off over it and my hand to contain some of it.  I gave up on those longer plastic like vet gloves.  too slippery. not sure how you yank it all all out so easily.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-s-Specialties-Field-Dressing-Gloves-Combo-Pack/15111185

I use these. Dick's Sporting Goods or Wally World. Probably at more stores too. I want to get the gutting over a.s.a.p so I like these so I can cut and pull everything out faster. I put the used gloves inside out in the deer and dispose of later. Just make sure the short gloves are over the long gloves when you use them.About a dollar a pair.

At Christmas time someone always gives me a pack of these. Sometimes, I'll even use them to gut the deer. But I ALWAYS use them to put the liver and heart in, to bring to a neighbor, who cooks them up.

I am a frequent "lurker" on here and don't post much....but for those of you who prefer to use gloves, you can buy them bulk at U-line.com and you will have enough to last forever....or to sell on ebay, lol.... 

http://www.uline.com/BL_635/Shoulder-Length-Poly-Gloves

http://www.uline.com/Grp_100/Latex-Gloves

that's pretty solid... but i like my orange so i can mark my dead deer haha.

I don't understand why people wouldn't wear gloves.

You're putting your arms elbow-deep into a cavity full of biological scum.   You have one cut on you, one cuticle torn out, anything, and all that bacteria and god knows what else can migrate into your system.    You can get parapoxvirus if you're not careful - who needs nodules and lesions all over their arms for no reason at all?  Lastly, you shoot a deer through the ribcage and now you have sharp bone shards all up in there and why not protect yourself from a nasty cut like that?

• Like 1

I just like to cover up my fingers, so I roll a condom on to each digit.  I use the magnum sized ones for my wiener, so I need to use rubber bands to keep them snug on my fingers.  I sometimes wish I were Italian and had the chubby fingers they have where I wouldn't need the rubber bands.  Although with their short fingers the magnum sized condoms might be a bit too long in length.  LOL

• Like 1

Black Bellamy,

you forget that you're talking to a crowd who willingly takes to the field/forest knowing that there's strangers walking around shooting guns!

I too go raw dog unless I'm skinning fox or yotes. I can also field dress a deer in under 30 seconds.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Edited by PREDATE

I don't understand why people wouldn't wear gloves.

You're putting your arms elbow-deep into a cavity full of biological scum.   You have one cut on you, one cuticle torn out, anything, and all that bacteria and god knows what else can migrate into your system.    You can get parapoxvirus if you're not careful - who needs nodules and lesions all over their arms for no reason at all?  Lastly, you shoot a deer through the ribcage and now you have sharp bone shards all up in there and why not protect yourself from a nasty cut like that?

three years ago I had a small cut right above the nail on my right index finger (trigger finger). first deer that year I tore the rubber glove on that finger pulling the rib cage apart. 3 days later my finger tip was about the size of a golfball and I went to the Doc. he lanced it and it was the nicest shade of green puss in there. couple days into the antibiotics and it was as good as new but it sure was sore before he lanced. it.  I figured it was the contact with the insides that did it. didn't think to much of the possibility until then. So it can happen and it wasn't that big of a cut.

I just like to cover up my fingers, so I roll a condom on to each digit.  I use the magnum sized ones for my wiener, so I need to use rubber bands to keep them snug on my fingers.  I sometimes wish I were Italian and had the chubby fingers they have where I wouldn't need the rubber bands.  Although with their short fingers the magnum sized condoms might be a bit too long in length.  LOL

bahahaha made my day.