What are you using opening day SZ?

Billdogge

My trusty Rem 710 in 30-06 shooting Federal Fusion 180g. I will have my son for company for the first time with his new Savage Axis in .270 shooting Fed Fusion 130g. We will be in a ground blind with our Mr Heater, and thermos of coffee and a few sangweeches.

• Like 1

Savage 220F, nikon 3-9x40, w/Hornady SST 250gr FTX slugs.  Or Remington 700 in .30-06, nikon 3-9x40 w/Hornady SST 150 gr.  Or TC Pro Hunter FX, Nikon 3-9x40 with 300 gr .452 Hornady XTP in a black MMP sabot.  I'll decide that morning once I decide which stand I'm hunting.

Been using a Ruger M77 in 7mm-08 for the last 5-6 years, topped with a Nikon 3-9x40 and loaded with Remington 140 Gr. Core Lokts. Awesome deer rig and I have been successful with it. But I think Im going to give my old Remmy 700 CDL 30-06 some play time. Older Simmons 4-14x40 scope (it was an expensive scope at the time) loaded with the  new Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain, inter lock ammo. They group great out of that old rifle.

But I also have a new Ruger American in 25-06 that shoots the Hornady American whitetail 117 grainers, less than an inch at 100 yards HHMMMMM.. Probably still give the nod to the old Remington….I miss its company in the stand..LOL!! 

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm08 with my handloads which feature a Barnes 120 grain TSX @ about 3000 fps MV..

Scope is a Burris 2x7 Fullfield...

SECOND day, I'll probably be using my 1943 vintage Garand M1 with issue peep sight and my handloads of 150 grain Hornady BTSP and enough H4895 to duplicate the original WWII issue load at around 2700 FPS MV...