Bullheads ?

Pygmy

Anybody been bullhead fishing yet ? I know it's a little early, but with the mild spring I thought they might start biting a bit earlier than usual.

The bullhead fishing hasn't been as good the last few years on the ponds that I normally fish, but my rabbit hunting buddy has got permission for himself and me on a big private pond near where he lives that supposedly has big bullheads in it. We're looking forward to giving it a try, perhaps this weekend.

Bullhead fishing is simple bank fishing at it finest, sitting on a bucket with your rods propped up on a forked stick, waiting for the tip to start nodding. Good eating, too, dusted in flour or Bisquick and fried, or sautéed in butter. My Dear Old Mother, God Bless her, would KILL for a mess of bullheads !

• Like 10

Culver..Is the pork liver firm enough to stay on the hook, or do you use spawn sac netting or something similar to keep it on the hook?

I've always used crawlers because they work and they are available, but I have heard that liver and leeches work well.

Culver..Is the pork liver firm enough to stay on the hook, or do you use spawn sac netting or something similar to keep it on the hook?

I've always used crawlers because they work and they are available, but I have heard that liver and leeches work well.

Oh it is WAY different texture than calf liver. tough as hell and stays on the hook the best of any bullhead bait I have used. I buy one, cut into worm sized strips and split into baggies and toss in the freezer. Works great for when they lay and nibble less aggressively. Sometimes it is tough to get the hook through it. 

leeches can be tough to find as big as I like. I hate those tiny little ones. Seems easier to find big ones in bait stores up by Ontario. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Me and my buddies used to fish them in Cazenovia creek in Cheektowaga.

There was a trailer park on the edge of the creeks with a landslide of debris that had been tossed over the side.

That must have been like a big chum pile for them, because that's were we used to nail 'em with corn or cheeseballs. Maybe they thought it was fresh sewer runoff,lol

I wouldn't recommend eating ANY species out of their though!

Anyone ever fish them in middlesex naples area....used to see the guys down there in packs when the bite was on

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I fish there every year at a place that we call The West River Marina ( it was a marina at one time). There are times when the bullheads and/or crappies are biting like crazy. But you have to catch it at just the right time (which doesn't last very long. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting a lot of them yet.

Also, DEC has dug canals and ponds out in the West River swamp that can occasionally get you a bunch of them.

Favorite bait years ago was big pollywogs (illegal if they have legs I've been told). We used to clean up on them. But there is another case where a light casting arm is essential.

• Like 1

My buddy has been catching them out of Stissing lake for the past 2 weeks.Bullheads are one of the best tasting fish.I myself use crawlers and chicken liver for bait.I am waiting until the first week of April then going to fish them almost every day till the water gets to warm.

• Like 1

I fish there every year at a place that we call The West River Marina ( it was a marina at one time). There are times when the bullheads and/or crappies are biting like crazy. But you have to catch it at just the right time (which doesn't last very long. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting a lot of them yet.

Also, DEC has dug canals and ponds out in the West River swamp that can occasionally get you a bunch of them.

Favorite bait years ago was big pollywogs (illegal if they have legs I've been told). We used to clean up on them. But there is another case where a light casting arm is essential.

Saw a bunch of guys fishing there yesterday when I drove by....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We used to really like going at night. Had a couple spots on state land with ponds full of them. Me and a couple buddies would leave Saturday afternoon, make a small camp near one of the ponds and fish most of the night. It was good times. Couple poles in the water a few beers and life was great. They sure made a great breakfast! Not many made it home. LOL

I prefer them just pan fried with nothing on them, but I have been known to use cornmeal on them.

• Like 2

My father's back yard was Saranac lake. We would go and put out all the poles there were so by morning we would have bullhead. We also saved our money and we would walk to Ames to buy more poles.

Gramma would bitch because her house would smell like fish but yet had to cook them because we did it all wrong! LOL    great memories

• Like 1

When I was a kid I used to catch decent bullheads in the 12-18" range using cut up pieces of sunfish while bank fishing small ponds. I would set the bobber close to the bottom and cast the chunks of sunnies as far as I could.

Never kept and ate the catfish tho because I was always worried the small ponds were polluted with septic and or chemical runoff from lawns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys usually cook bullheads? I catch them a lot during the summer and usually toss them back. I ate one once and getting the skin off was a pita and the meat was ok but I don't think I hooked it well. I wrapped in tin foil and put in fire.