LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Been semi awake since 2:23...alarm should go off in1 min. . rewind on the10pt miss...let's hope every thing today comes in left to rt. . Well,I best get up eat shower and boogie...it will take me at least 40 mins. To walk to stand...most of the way I have to take baby side steps to avoid going down on my back side. Then avoid being taken out crossing the stream on slippery rocks. Opening is 7:28. The doe and fawn will start filing in about 7. I need to beat them down the hill.....Good Luck everyone.

Git R Done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

Man I don't know how anybody can all day sit in 18 degrees. I'm hoping not to freeze in 3 hours lol!

It's easy , I'm sitting by gas fireplace under a blanket , drinking black coffee and thinking about shed hunting in few months .

• Like 2

Nice one TACs, I think I heard your shot.   My supposidly 40 below rated black Micky boots only kept my feet warm until 9:00 this morning up in the stand and I abandoned ship.  I should have got a pair of the white ones that are supposed to be good to 70 below (according to my father in law).   Now I am typing in front of the woodstove and thawing out some black angus liver for lunch.    I did not see anything from 7:00 - 9:00 this morning in 9F, but lots of fresh tracks in the dusting of snow.  I still have 1 DMP for here and hopefully a couple hours in a blind before sunset will take care of it. There is no more room in our freezers, and I am sick of butchering, but I hear Buck & Doe is accepting donations for feeding homeless folks.   One less doe to dodge on my way back and forth to work on the road would also be a good thing.     

My grandson and I are out. His feet got cold so we will take a break to warm up. We were set up on a south facing slope, below a cut corn field. In the thick nasty's of hemlock and white pine. Longest shot is about 50 yards. We had deer moving around us most of the morning. But the only clear shot was on a two year old 8pt. And I have no buck tag.  Grandson grunted and bleated him within 30 yards twice! He's only 12 and can't wait to hunt with firearm in a couple years. His eyes when he brought the buck in were huge! ...... Will warm up those size 14 tootsies and put some food in his belly. Then my buddy will do a couple small pushes to us later on. Good luck to all who are out today!

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, grampy said:

My grandson and I are out. His feet got cold so we will take a break to warm up. We were set up on a south facing slope, below a cut corn field. In the thick nasty's of hemlock and white pine. Longest shot is about 50 yards. We had deer moving around us most of the morning. But the only clear shot was on a two year old 8pt. And I have no buck tag.  Grandson grunted and bleated him within 30 yards twice! He's only 12 and can't wait to hunt with firearm in a couple years. His eyes when he brought the buck in were huge! ...... Will warm up those size 14 tootsies and put some food in his belly. Then my buddy will do a couple small pushes to us later on. Good luck to all who are out today!

Nice job! He's hooked!!! Awesome. At 12 can't he hunt with one of the cross gun things? I know they can hunt with a real bow. Even if not still cool to have him with u and see some action. I had my 9 year old out with me durning archery this October and we seen mom and 2 little ones. I let them go but they were 15 yrds and put on a show for us. He can't wait till he is 12. Good stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

. . . I hear Buck & Doe is accepting donations for feeding homeless folks.   One less doe to dodge on my way back and forth to work on the road would also be a good thing.     

yes, I donated one two weeks ago there. Super easy, just drop it off.

froze my nuts off this morning i dressed a little too light, saw 3 doe being chased by a small buck with his nose to the ground shortly after sun rise, 2 hours later had a doe come thru at 20 yards i lost sight of her next thing i kno she is bedded 40 yards away staring straight at me, she alerted me to 3 other doe approaching and at 1030 i wrapped it up i was cold. i'll be back at it with the bow for the pm sit and back with the shotty tomorrow to wrap up the season

• Like 1

The group of deer I saw were making their way to my BIL. He saw one walking the path that would give him a easy shot. Then someone on my neighbors property started walking around and spooked them. Well he's calling it a season. If I get out tomorrow I'll try to get a doe for him. Goodluck and stay warm everyone.

Nice one TACs, I think I heard your shot.   My supposidly 40 below rated black Micky boots only kept my feet warm until 9:00 this morning up in the stand and I abandoned ship.  I should have got a pair of the white ones that are supposed to be good to 70 below (according to my father in law).   Now I am typing in front of the woodstove and thawing out some black angus liver for lunch.    I did not see anything from 7:00 - 9:00 this morning in 9F, but lots of fresh tracks in the dusting of snow.  I still have 1 DMP for here and hopefully a couple hours in a blind before sunset will take care of it. There is no more room in our freezers, and I am sick of butchering, but I hear Buck & Doe is accepting donations for feeding homeless folks.   One less doe to dodge on my way back and forth to work on the road would also be a good thing.     

I heard two between us pretty early, I thought they may even have been around Thompson if there's anywhere left to gun hunt over there

first Congrats on the deer guys...

Could it have been a more perfect morning? I think not...well a dead deer would have been nice but other wise I loved it! Took me 45mins to get to the stand and there were no tracks yesterday and crazy amount this morning..I got in with out any outward sign of spooking deer. at 6:30 a car came down the road and as soon as it hit our line the breaks went on... Then I lost track of the tail lights...roads 2 hundred yards away and heard the car door slam...nice! out came my mag-light and I raised it way over my head and turned it on ...shaking it a bit...turned off then back on again....I waited ...thought for sure I'd hear a before hours shot...but nothing:cheese:..I had a bunch of female cardinals, chickadees and buntings all around me and watched a mink as it got light...saw other movement but couldn't make it out. All movement was way out in front of me ,nothing came down the hill. At 8:30 I saw legs way down towards the road where I saw yesterdays  buck chasing..Good sign ,no shot I had chased who ever off...I used the ranger finder like a monocular and spotted a high 8 getting up from his bed and stretching...I tried calling him in but 80 yrds out he never even looked my way and shook then crossed one of the creeks that is a property border into the neighboring cattail/ marsh grass. I doe bleated on and off  until 9:30 when my toes were on fire from the cold...toe warms couldn't beat the boots being wet on the outside and packed in snow and ice...I even brought a foot pad for the platform... all that did was get wet and stick to the bottom of the boots...lol

So off I went back up that 40 degree incline ever so slowly( seriously,the only way I can!)....Finding tracks that crossed mine going across the hill. Then I got to a shelf where I have 2 stands and stopped between them to take in the view...up popped 2 snow covered deer 20 feet to my left bedded down...a fawn and I'm not sure  what the other was,all I saw was butt......got to the top and Thanked the heavens...I made it up that beastly hill again...lol

Edited by growalot
  • Like 3