How would you react to this situation? (Hunting permission)

regulat0r

I actually had this situation It went like this...I was new to the area and had met my neighbor in the woods a few times and had long talks..I said I don't want to hunt your land but if a deer comes down and I have a good shot on it while it's on your place may I shoot and recover. He said I'd have to ask the other neighbor across the street for he gave her permission to look after the property and hunt and horseback ride it. He said he had absolutely no problem with it. ...So I talk to her and it was a NO! OK... I waited...I saw the neighbor and in talking I said  thanks for saying yes but I guess it's a no go which is OK I understand. He said what? I explained and he got hot! Told me not to worry, hunt all of it if I wanted...which I declined and he had a talk with her...took away her hunting privileges. Now he leases it. but I still have recovery rights..

In your situation you have two issues..

1. these people don't want to tick off the guy working on their place( if they have any smarts)

2. he could bad mouth you big time behind your back.Which could hurt you in the area

So Going to them with a gift saying thank You  and telling them with respect to another hunter you went and introduced your self to the other guy.  He was firm about not wanting you to hunt. You figured he has plans for his friends to hunt it because being such a big property just 2 bow hunters should not be a problem, but you didn't ask( this plants a seed).. You hope that your introducing your self to him hasn't caused a problem between them, that is the last thing you want...though you'd and only you would  still like to hunt the opposite side he he does and would like to offer....What ever talents you have to them or driveway plowing in the winter what ever...Worst that could happen they kick you or both off...

Good Luck

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Stop and talk to the new owners and offer to help them out in some way....then tell them how the conversation with the other guy went. They're either gonna say one of two things, one being you can't hunt there and two being screw him it's their land and he doesn't control who has access....and I would do it asap because you know darn well he's going to talk to them about it.....you're not doing anything wrong or being a pain in the ass about it, you're telling them to avoid causing problems with & for them.

• Like 1

I had access to a property ( 300 acres) years ago where I was working for them and ate like $1500 to be the only one allowed to hunt.  Even after I worked for them I kind of became there handy man, I did everything from cleaning there gutter to jerking there friggin dogs off only to have them let anyone that would ask to hunt they would let in.  " tyler it would be ok if I let so and so sit on your lap"  I had hunters calling me introducing myself.  By the fith year I had people everywhere..... I was not happy  Thankfully one of those dipshit non hunters shot and killed a doe in the neighbors backyard , literally 50 yds from back porch and sent them into a rage.  I got in there ear and let them know that everyone in here but me is a dipshit.  they kicked everyone out but me. I have been the only one the last 8 years allowed to hunt....

6 minutes ago, skully said:

I had access to a property ( 300 acres) years ago where I was working for them and ate like $1500 to be the only one allowed to hunt.  Even after I worked for them I kind of became there handy man, I did everything from cleaning there gutter to jerking there friggin dogs off only to have them let anyone that would ask to hunt they would let in.  " tyler it would be ok if I let so and so sit on your lap"  I had hunters calling me introducing myself.  By the fith year I had people everywhere..... I was not happy  Thankfully one of those dipshit non hunters shot and killed a doe in the neighbors backyard , literally 50 yds from back porch and sent them into a rage.  I got in there ear and let them know that everyone in here but me is a dipshit.  they kicked everyone out but me. I have been the only one the last 8 years allowed to hunt....

You jerked a dog off? Thats where i draw the line for my hunting permission. Why do they call you skully?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

Stop and talk to the new owners and offer to help them out in some way....then tell them how the conversation with the other guy went. They're either gonna say one of two things, one being you can't hunt there and two being screw him it's their land and he doesn't control who has access....and I would do it asap because you know darn well he's going to talk to them about it.....you're not doing anything wrong or being a pain in the ass about it, you're telling them to avoid causing problems with & for them.

def would stop and talk to them and if they are taken back by this other guy offer to lease it with only access for you.  If they dont want anything to do with it , I would prob move on as well. Dont want to be argueing with someone in the woods when hunting is my time to enjoy myself.  

Did you wear a glove or raw dogged it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, skully said:

6f0b2b1470bec42f6df83794a39fde06--hunting-signs-hunting-quotes.jpg

• Like 2

an interesting one for sure. My wife's grandparents own an active fruit farm in webster. I was given permission to hunt it the summer we married, then found out one of their hands hunts it. To me I didn't feel like I should setup on his turf as he does a great deal for her elderly grandparents and had been hunting it a while. Just marrying into the family gave me the ability to swipe it all from him. Already having some hunting land myself I let it be. The guy knows I hunt and knows I passed on the opportunity and has never said anything to me the few times our paths have crossed, but I'm sure deep down he breathed a sigh of relief.

In your situation this is new territory but also sounds like the owners would open up the land to just about anyone. Unfortunately the handyman probably should have stated to them his desire to have the property to himself as he could very well be considering this good land as part of his "payment". 

So I guess my thought is this, your time to act is now. This is the first year and the only chance before he digs in. Stop by the new owners place again with some offering like a bottle of wine or venison sausage etc. Explain you talked to the handyman and the situation (leaving out his attitude) and see what they think. Perhaps you can take a back 50 or something. 250 is A LOT of land for one guy. However what you don't know is if he will have an army with him and conversely he doesn't know the same about you.

And if all else fails, there's the checkbook and lease papers to consider if you want it bad enough.

The handyman sounds like a jerk. And eventually his temper and crappy disposition will be exposed. Jerks will always show their true colors!!! Endear yourself to the landowners. Stop by often for good conversation and smiles. Always have a small gift. Offer to do anything that may help them out. Never bad mouth the jerk, or anyone else. Just become like a friend, who is ALWAYS willing to help with anything possible. If asked, give down to earth advice. If not, agree with their ideas, and help them make it happen for them. In short, have them like you more than the jerk. If they have pets, you gotta draw the line somewhere..........that you are comfortable with. (grin)

• Like 1

As much as I know no landowner that gives permission wants to mediate a dispute between two hunters (especially two that just got permission), I don't think you have much of a choice but to talk to them, acknowledging that you certainly don't want to cause any problems for them and asking whether the handyman makes the decision as to who can hunt there.  I suspect the answer will be no.  With that, you could suggest that it might be a good idea to stop back when he is around so that you could all talk together.  You would be happy to ensure that you stay clear of him and perhaps only hunt 1/2 of the property so that he has plenty of space.  Being respectful and honest is the best that you can do.

The issue sounds pretty simple. Go back to the "owner" get one of these completed & signed:

ask.pdf

Then the handyman and everyone else can go pound. They are nice to have for a lot of situations and can prevent some grief. If the owner doesn't want to sign he/she probably doesn't want you there anyway. If they complete it.....become a good neighbor and possibly friends.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

i wouldn't bother the landowners much but you have to talk to them.  when i say that bring a very simple permission slip that you can hunt the property.  simply say that if you run into any others you don't want any trouble and you'd like it so anything can be resolved without them getting involved.  also ask for their names and phone numbers in case you see something wrong to let them know.  doesn't get asked often but you should ask them what they expect of you as a hunter on their property.  clear up access and where you're okay to drive.  find out how the house/move is going and if their in a pickle with anything.  maybe you can help or keep a service in need in the back of your mind for them.  just don't get permission to hunt without making it known you're also a neighbor that could possibly be there when in need.  they're still strangers though really so don't imply any issues will happen but let them know you're looking out for their best interests.

no trail cams or leaving things there.  don't screw into any trees or clear shooting lanes or access trails etc. minimal impact for now.  don't bring others.  just you. cable locks on what you do leave there.  if the guy never sees you maybe he'll come around or you'll be out of sight and out of mind.

I wouldn't be so quick to shove a permission slip in their face, may turn them off, especially if they know you're competing with someone else for hunting rights on THEIR land. I would simply let them know about the conversation with the other guy and get their reaction first...........this guy may very well have told them he'll work for them in exchange of hunting rights, perhaps he was under the impression it was for exclusive rights and the homeowners missed that......

• Like 1