Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Grow, if you had a good blood trail leading to the golden rod, you still have a good blood trail. It's just "much harder" to see on the dry goldenrod, but look closely and it should be there. Good luck. Sounds like a dead deer.

i agree. i have been reduced to hands and knees searching a few times for my deer and others. it does pay off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Chef....  Could have gotten liver .....but I shot him on his right side and he was favoring his left leg when he walked away...Then there are the bubbles I found in some puddles and that blood is leaving both sides of his body at a walk not run. Then you have the time..I took these now 2:15 about and he was shot at around 7:15 this a.m. ...It tends to darken as it dries.. Oh and one spot that was a liter red foamy blob

bubbles aren't a guarantee it's lung. you also easily have a single lung AND liver. I'm not disagreeing with you, just don't want people to think certain colors and features are certainties. 

Got dad in the stand we were in Mon. Afternoon an nd had a big 8 at 3 yds and he could not get on him. Hope this hunt ends better than it started. He forgot his crossbow. I had Jason at camp bring it, we get all the way to the stand and he forgot the rope for cocking the bow...... I will say I hope he don't miss cause I am in no hurry to pull that sob back by hand again!!

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not arguing I'm just not sure how this is proven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always wondered the same thing. If someone doesn't interview the deer or kill it and see an extra wound in a lung, how can you know you definitely had a single lung hit

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

15 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

I always wondered the same thing. If someone doesn't interview the deer or kill it and see an extra wound in a lung, how can you know you definitely had a single lung hit

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

that is kind of funny haha. I don't know, just read many an article on it. from deer biologists and hunters in D&DH. 

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If my memory serves me correctly, the breeder who I bought my tracking dog from had pretty extensive information regarding tracking wounded deer.....one photo he had was that of a healthy deer that was killed and when gutted had a healed up lung with a perfect star/broadhead shaped scar.

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Just going on the description, sounds like she got through and stuck in the opposite leg. It would have to be quartering really hard to get single lung. Do we know how far she tracked before losing blood?

also depends on elevation. it can blow down through at a steep angle.  And to be clear, i'm not arguing hers is a single lung. just hoping to educate. 

i shot an 8 one time from 25' in the air and he was at about 10 yards 2 oclock. Facing me and slight quartering towards. I blew down through one lung, out through liver and then guts. He plugged up and only had one drop of blood. After a few hours of grid search and thinking i had a gut shot (which technically i did) i found him. 

Edited by Belo

that is kind of funny haha. I don't know, just read many an article on it. from deer biologists and hunters in D&DH. 

I have read articles that have said the same then I have read some that say the opposite. All I know is the deer I know I hit 1 lung on I found. With my minimal knowledge of trauma treatment from my time in the service a 1 lung hit on a human is always fatal if not treated due to it being a sucking chest wound. I don't know if a deer could "treat" the wound by licking etc.

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have read articles that have said the same then I have read some that say the opposite. All I know is the deer I know I hit 1 lung on I found. With my minimal knowledge of trauma treatment from my time in the service a 1 lung hit on a human is always fatal if not treated due to it being a sucking chest wound. I don't know if a deer could "treat" the wound by licking etc.

deer are amazing survivors. how many times do we cut them open to find a pus sack over an old broadhead? a human would die of infection in a week. I think often one lung hits also kill because something else like the heart was clipped or the liver, artery etc. I think smaller deer are goners. but a big mature buck? idk...hope i never find out.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

deer are amazing survivors. how many times do we cut them open to find a pus sack over an old broadhead? a human would die of infection in a week. I think often one lung hits also kill because something else like the heart was clipped or the liver, artery etc. I think smaller deer are goners. but a big mature buck? idk...hope i never find out.

I punctured my lung when I was 12, never fixed it. been living with 1 lung since '96. I can still rip monster bong hits. But I'm not sure I could take a broadhead shot at 200fps.

just kidding, of course

• Like 7
  • Haha 2